UFC 130 winner Brian Stann on two-year title plan, boss predicts superstardom

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » UFC 130 winner Brian Stann on two-year title plan, boss predicts superstardom
Next Page »
Budgellism
6/1/11 6:45:23PM
If you're looking to notch a victory over fast-rising UFC middleweight contender Brian Stann (11-3 MMA, 5-2 UFC), you might be best served by acting quickly.

After blasting former Sengoku champion Jorge Santiago at this past weekend's UFC 130 event, Stann said he's still two years away from finding his peak form. And when he does, UFC president Dana White predicts certain superstardom.

LINK
pmoney
6/1/11 7:10:20PM
Stann looked night and day from his WEC days as a Light Heavyweight. I like this guy a lot. War hero, seems to be a stand up guy (haha! See what I did there?), and his skills have gotten much, much better.

Jackson MMA is still arguably one of the best camps out there, chock full of talent. It looks like Stann's time there has served him well so far. Will he be able to beat Anderson Silva? Well, let's just say it's a good thing he knows he needs a couple more years training before he goes down that road.

I wish him the best, and the sky really is the limit for him. He has come so far from the guy who lost to Steve Cantwell in the WEC.
Budgellism
6/1/11 7:20:10PM
Well said pmoney. I agree. The guy is very likeable, he's talented and he's a war hero for god sakes. I wish the best of luck to him and I'd love to see him contending for the title some day.
pmoney
6/1/11 7:27:15PM

Posted by Budgellism

Well said pmoney. I agree. The guy is very likeable, he's talented and he's a war hero for god sakes. I wish the best of luck to him and I'd love to see him contending for the title some day.

Yeah, it would be awesome to see him climb the ladder all the way to the top and fight for the title! I gotta say though, I thought you liked my post on the Diaz thread better
KungFuMaster
6/1/11 7:34:44PM
I like Stann. I am a veteran myself and I hate to say this to you guys but I think Stann has a lot of elements to work on before contesting the belt.

IMO, he has average stand up skills. But what makes him dangerous is he can throw bombs.

Keep training, Stann.
Chael_Sonnen
6/1/11 7:39:53PM
Superstardom? Nah....he will struggle with good wrestlers.....Solid UFC Career? I can buy that.
Twenty20Dollars
6/1/11 8:07:04PM
Stann still needs some work though. He just stood and took some shots with Jorge, like trading shot for shot. Although it does work for him.

I wonder who he gets next.I'm guessing him vs Munoz(pending if he beats Maia).
pmoney
6/1/11 8:25:31PM

Posted by KungFuMaster

I like Stann. I am a veteran myself and I hate to say this to you guys but I think Stann has a lot of elements to work on before contesting the belt.

IMO, he has average stand up skills. But what makes him dangerous is he can throw bombs.

Keep training, Stann.

KungFuMaster, I am slightly offended. That's the problem with text, there is no inflection or body language to go by, but that seems like a fairly condescending comment.

I am pretty sure everyone here would agree that he needs to train more. But when you think about it, he is still a youngster in his MMA career. He is 5-2 in the UFC already. When he went 2-2 as a LHW, he at least avenged his loss to Cantwell, and took the rubber match between them.

As a Middleweight, he is 3-0. He just took out the Sengoku champ and made him look like a nobody, and Stann destroyed Chris Leben in a fashion that only Anderson Silva had done before. Maybe even worse.

Granted, he is going to get bigger fights against bigger names, and bigger challenges. But he has been taking the tests laid before him and passing them with flying colors. He certainly does need more training, he says so himself and pretty much everyone agrees. I just hope they don't put him in a prospect killing matchup like the UFC stupidly makes now and again.

Anyhow, Stann has already come a long, long way. From his second Cantwell fight to the third, and from that fight to the Leben/Santiago fights.... His progress is fantastic, and I think he will keep getting better.
Budgellism
6/1/11 8:35:47PM

Posted by pmoney

Posted by Budgellism

Yeah, it would be awesome to see him climb the ladder all the way to the top and fight for the title! I gotta say though, I thought you liked my post on the Diaz thread better

Lol, I'll like that post better once gsp destroys Diaz ;)
Budgellism
6/1/11 8:38:28PM

Posted by pmoney

Posted by KungFuMaster

Keep training, Stann.

KungFuMaster, I am slightly offended. That's the problem with text, there is no inflection or body language to go by, but that seems like a fairly condescending comment.

I am pretty sure everyone here would agree that he needs to train more. But when you think about it, he is still a youngster in his MMA career. He is 5-2 in the UFC already. When he went 2-2 as a LHW, he at least avenged his loss to Cantwell, and took the rubber match between them.

As a Middleweight, he is 3-0. He just took out the Sengoku champ and made him look like a nobody, and Stann destroyed Chris Leben in a fashion that only Anderson Silva had done before. Maybe even worse.

Granted, he is going to get bigger fights against bigger names, and bigger challenges. But he has been taking the tests laid before him and passing them with flying colors. He certainly does need more training, he says so himself and pretty much everyone agrees. I just hope they don't put him in a prospect killing matchup like the UFC stupidly makes now and again.

Anyhow, Stann has already come a long, long way. From his second Cantwell fight to the third, and from that fight to the Leben/Santiago fights.... His progress is fantastic, and I think he will keep getting better.

Well this sums up pretty much everything I was going to say to kungfu`s comment, lol. Get out of my head :P.
KungFuMaster
6/1/11 8:45:24PM

Posted by pmoney

Posted by KungFuMaster

Keep training, Stann.

Do not be offended, Pmoney.....and I must say, it was very well said.
pmoney
6/1/11 8:46:01PM

Posted by Budgellism
Well this sums up pretty much everything I was going to say to kungfu`s comment, lol. Get out of my head :P.

You know the old saying! Great minds think alike, except when it comes to GSP-Diaz
KungFuMaster
6/1/11 8:52:33PM
This concept of spreading the love is not working for me, admins and mods. Pmoney touched me with his eloquent speech regarding Stann but because I have already gave him a prop, he will now be prop-less for his beautiful excerpt on Stann which is a shame.

Let us not put a limit to the props. If a member happens to say something as touching as Pmoney just did, I should be able to prop him regardless if I have just prop-ed him an hour ago.

Props to you, Pmoney.
pmoney
6/1/11 9:09:13PM

Posted by KungFuMaster
Do not be offended, Pmoney.....and I must say, it was very well said.

Ah, I am not really offended. I don't take anything on the internet personally. And like I said, I hate text based communication. You don't get tone of voice or inflection, and no body language to read from. It makes intent harder for myself (and I am sure many others of the human race) harder to decipher.

I like having regular contributors on the forum! You generally bring quality sir. I try to keep it level headed. I will voice my displeasure as quickly as I prop you up
Budgellism
6/1/11 9:22:07PM

Posted by pmoney

Posted by Budgellism

You know the old saying! Great minds think alike, except when it comes to GSP-Diaz

lol, well played.
DeadHead988
6/1/11 9:26:38PM
Somehow this thread turned into Pmoney and Budgellism sucking each other's dicks lol.
Budgellism
6/1/11 10:10:20PM

Posted by DeadHead988

Somehow this thread turned into Pmoney and Budgellism sucking each other's dicks lol.

A little jealous Deadhead? Is your head dead?
pmoney
6/1/11 10:12:48PM

Posted by Budgellism

Posted by DeadHead988

A little jealous Deadhead? Is your head dead?

Oh DeadHead! You're funny! I like that. Now STFU!

j/k

I guess it did kind of turn in to a mutual admiration society meeting....
bjj1605
6/1/11 10:19:56PM
I think Stann is very promising. I agree with Dana. I detect a little bit of hatin/doubtin on this thread. Not from pmoney though.

Just wondering why?

He's not just a brawler with power. He's showed very diverse and technical striking in his last several fights. He keeps his hands high and his chin tucked. His shoulders are relaxed. He throws with good technique. He can kick and punch. He uses his legs well and has good foot work. He could maybe use a bit more head movement, but so far that hasn't been a problem. He blocks well enough and moves well enough (not to mention his chin) that bobbing and weaving may not be part of his style.

Someone said he'd have problems with wrestlers. Maybe. Who doesn't though? When you're not a former NCAA champ or an Olympian, the biggest challenge in MMA is trying to prevent a good wrestler from laying and praying. Stann has the power in his punches to make people wary of coming in. He's physically very strong. He's good off his back (as seen in his submission win over a legit jiu jitsu artitst) and he's no slouch in the wrestling department.

I see superstar-dome as a strong possibility in his future.

PS. For all the praise top wrestlers get, I see very few of them become champions or legends in the sport. There are a lot more jiu jitsu blackbelts and good strikers in the very top tier with the wrestlers one grade down.
Twenty20Dollars
6/1/11 10:26:11PM
JK-47
Budgellism
6/1/11 10:26:39PM

Posted by bjj1605
PS. For all the praise top wrestlers get, I see very few of them become champions or legends in the sport. There are a lot more jiu jitsu blackbelts and good strikers in the very top tier with the wrestlers one grade down.

That's because wrestlers are on top this generation. Last generation BJJ was the ****. Guys with awesome BJJ would normally win. Now these guys are all getting near the end of their careers and wrestlers are emerging. Give it 10-15 years. There will be wrestlers in the Hall of fame.
bjj1605
6/1/11 10:42:53PM

Posted by Budgellism

Posted by bjj1605

That's because wrestlers are on top this generation. Last generation BJJ was the ****. Guys with awesome BJJ would normally win. Now these guys are all getting near the end of their careers and wrestlers are emerging. Give it 10-15 years. There will be wrestlers in the Hall of fame.

I disagree. I think wrestling only gets you so far in MMA. Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of good wrestlers in the sport. But guys like Anderson Silva are still at the top. I think the reason is that wrestlers tend not to go too far beyond that original skill set and always fall back on it.

A good guard or some sprawl and brawl will eventually stop any wrestler.
Budgellism
6/1/11 11:07:36PM

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by Budgellism

Posted by bjj1605

I disagree. I think wrestling only gets you so far in MMA. Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of good wrestlers in the sport. But guys like Anderson Silva are still at the top. I think the reason is that wrestlers tend not to go too far beyond that original skill set and always fall back on it.

A good guard or some sprawl and brawl will eventually stop any wrestler.

Yeah, I agree it only gets you so far but look at guys like Frankie Edgar, Maynard, Jones, Velasquez, Lesnar, etc. These guys are all wrestlers. They're all on top. They've all developed into more than just wrestlers because that's what fighters do but they all came from that background. Anderson Silva also just got beat up pretty bad by a wrestler in a division that wrestler's haven't been able to dominate yet.
bjj1605
6/2/11 12:06:22AM

Posted by Budgellism

Yeah, I agree it only gets you so far but look at guys like Frankie Edgar, Maynard, Jones, Velasquez, Lesnar, etc. These guys are all wrestlers. They're all on top. They've all developed into more than just wrestlers because that's what fighters do but they all came from that background. Anderson Silva also just got beat up pretty bad by a wrestler in a division that wrestler's haven't been able to dominate yet.

Right... but Chael lost to Anderson....? People like to forget that fact.

This isn't really the place for this discussion. I understand where you're coming from but I disagree with the prevailing perception that wrestlers dominate. I think most of them hit a wall. That doesn't mean its not an important skill set. You just have to diversify. Some do. Many don't. We can talk more in a dedicated thread if you'd like.
Budgellism
6/2/11 12:32:12AM

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by Budgellism

Right... but Chael lost to Anderson....? People like to forget that fact.

This isn't really the place for this discussion. I understand where you're coming from but I disagree with the prevailing perception that wrestlers dominate. I think most of them hit a wall. That doesn't mean its not an important skill set. You just have to diversify. Some do. Many don't. We can talk more in a dedicated thread if you'd like.

No, you're right. This is about Brian Stann, not wrestlers. Let's agree to disagree then. I just got back from a run and I'm pretty tired so I'm good with it.
Chael_Sonnen
6/2/11 1:40:31AM

Posted by DeadHead988

MaxOne
6/2/11 12:51:20PM

Posted by bjj1605

I know this wasn't the main point in your post or this thread but I feel like we are watching a different sport when I read this part of your post.

obviously you have to be well rounded but people with wrestling as their base seem to do very well in the sport.
current ufc champs
cruz
edgar
jones
cain
are all champs that consider wrestling their base and much of their top competition would say the same.

GSP is different but if i didn't know better I would think he came from wrestling.

so that leaves aldo & anderson that don't come from or at least excel in wrestling as current champs in the ufc. (btw, aldo's wrestling has looked pretty good to me)

stikeforce has two champs with wrestling as their base.

and historically many of the "legends" are wrestlers.

Wrestling hasn't played nearly as a big a role in japanese MMA but I think Melendez vs. Aoki is a great example of how the better wrestler determines where the fight takes place which is an advantage IMO.

Re: Brian. Love the dude since his first fight. It was clear that he didn't know much but he was still knocking people out. Now he's getting good and he seems confident and humble at the same time....i guess confident but also has common sense. I hope he does work his way up.
Jekyll
6/2/11 1:42:02PM
i know this will anger some fo you but right now Brian Stann is Chris Leabon of a few years ago. He hits hard and got a great chin, the only real difference is Stann is not the greatest on the ground.

In a few years he MIGHT be something but hes far from that at this point.
Kpro
6/2/11 2:29:08PM
No sense for us to nitpick on Stann's current skill-set. The name of the article and post title says two year title plan. You can learn a lot in two years and he's already 3-0 in the UFC at 185 finishing a striker with 11 UFC wins, the Sengoku Middleweight Champ, and a former JC National Champion Wrestler. 2 year plan sounds about right to me.
Jekyll
6/2/11 3:14:37PM

Posted by Kpro

No sense for us to nitpick on Stann's current skill-set. The name of the article and post title says two year title plan. You can learn a lot in two years and he's already 3-0 in the UFC at 185 finishing a striker with 11 UFC wins, the Sengoku Middleweight Champ, and a former JC National Champion Wrestler. 2 year plan sounds about right to me.

hes 5-2 in the UFC...

what i an shocked about is still the bias of most the posters.. Lebon had the flu when he fought Stann but no-one discredits his win, but when a simalar thing happen in a fight where the winner does not have half the forum playing testicle tarzan with him the win has 0 credability
Pages: [1] 2