UFC 129 Expected To Set Attendance Records, 2 Title Fights Possible

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » UFC 129 Expected To Set Attendance Records, 2 Title Fights Possible
DCRage
12/20/10 8:59:11AM
t was a long time in the making, but the Ultimate Fighting Championship’s debut event in Toronto is now set, at least everything but the fight card. The promotion’s first even in Canada’s largest city, originally dubbed UFC 131, has been renamed UFC 129. It will take place at the Rogers Centre, formerly the Sky Dome, on April 30, 2011. The UFC has its sights set on breaking it’s own North American mixed martial arts attendance record, set at the recent UFC 124 in Montreal at 23,152, but isn’t likely to come anywhere near the arena record held by WWE (over 68,000). That is more a matter of choice than lack of ability according to promotion officials. They're talking about 25,000-40,000 as a likely number. As mentioned, the UFC 129 fight card is yet to be set. Speculation has centered on UFC welterweight champion and countryman Georges St-Pierre defending his belt against Jake Shields in Toronto, as well as the possibility of a heavyweight title tilt between champion Cain Velasquez and Junior Dos Santos.

Article
Bubbles
12/20/10 11:46:32AM
as of right now, there is a month and a half between UFC events (128-129). i hope they put on a free card or two between then. i hate having to wait 6+ months to see a healthy guy fight again. and with the new roster expansion, it only makes sense to have a Fight Night on April 2nd or something
Twenty20Dollars
12/20/10 2:16:53PM
I was hoping they would put another title fight on if they put GSP/Shields on because I dont have much interest in seeing that fight.
prozacnation1978
12/20/10 4:03:36PM
Yeah
One pay per view each month for march, april and may seems highly
Unlikely

If they do double title in april. Which I think they will do

I bet you in may vegas event it will be double title as well

Edgar/maynard vs pettis
Aldo vs grispi. Just watch
MisterFreeze
12/20/10 8:21:57PM
I really have no interest in seeing GSP vs Jake Shields. If they want to make it a super fight, I'd like to see GSP vs Anderson Silva. Or more realistically GSP vs Carlos Condit.
finnish_line
12/20/10 8:45:31PM

There's no way they configure Rogers Centre for only 25,000 people.