UFC 128 Fight Card: Bas Rutten Predicts Jon Jones Will Defeat Shogun Rua

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » UFC 128 Fight Card: Bas Rutten Predicts Jon Jones Will Defeat Shogun Rua
Budgellism
3/17/11 12:02:28PM
"At first I thought, (Jon Jones) 23 years old, maybe it's too early. But then I go, if I have to put money down I think I'd put it on (Jon Jones). And the reason I said that is, every time he fights a wrestler who supposed to be better than him, he just schools these guys and takes them down. So in my mind, I think its going to be pretty easy for him to take (Shogun Rua) down. Once it's on the ground, with (Jones) ground control, he's a very hard guy to deal with, he has unlimited energy. The first time we saw him fight, with 8 takedowns, craziest suplexes off the chart and he's only getting better now training at Greg Jacksons. I predicted it right away when I saw him fight, he's going to be the new champion. But I think he can do it. But trust me; don't get anything wrong, if Shogun lands one of those punches or knees."

"Greg Jackson knows (about Shogun's leg kicks). Greg Jackson has the same crazy mind as I and people are low kicking (Jon Jones) all day long. Because that's the weapon."

LINK
Aether
3/17/11 2:06:15PM
pretty much agree with every word from Bas, unsurprisingly.

If Shogun wasn't coming off of a huge layoff it would be a more difficult pick for me, but I can't pick the guy who hasn't fought in 15+ months in a competitive match. Shogun's best chance is to put Jones away early or do enough damage with his kicks to slow Jones down considerably.
emfleek
3/17/11 2:23:02PM

Posted by Aether

but I can't pick the guy who hasn't fought in 15+ months in a competitive match.

10 months. The last fight with Machida was in May of 2010.

I've actually changed my tune on this fight. Maybe I'm buying into the hype? Not sure. I, too, see Jones dragging/throwing Rua to the ground and pounding him out. HOWEVER...I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see Rua grab ahold of one of Jones' 8 ft. tentacles and attempt to rip it off with an armbar, either.
ncordless
3/17/11 3:49:10PM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by Aether

but I can't pick the guy who hasn't fought in 15+ months in a competitive match.

I've actually changed my tune on this fight. Maybe I'm buying into the hype? Not sure. I, too, see Jones dragging/throwing Rua to the ground and pounding him out. HOWEVER...I wouldn't be the list bit surprised to see Rua grab ahold of one of Jones' 8 ft. tentacles and attempt to rip it off with an armbar, either.

I think you hit the nail on the head. I think the question is what can Shogun accomplish off of his back, because that's where the majority of the fight is likely to take place. Jones has shown a tendancy to post his arms on the mat.
Bubbles
3/17/11 8:01:39PM
does anything thin Shogun will try to take Jones down? he tried a few times in his first fight with Machida, but Machida has crazy TDD. everyone trying to TD Bones has been telegraphing it from the outside so his TDD might not be as epic as we think
Aether
3/17/11 9:49:54PM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by Aether

I've actually changed my tune on this fight. Maybe I'm buying into the hype? Not sure. I, too, see Jones dragging/throwing Rua to the ground and pounding him out. HOWEVER...I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see Rua grab ahold of one of Jones' 8 ft. tentacles and attempt to rip it off with an armbar, either.

I actually think that's even worse considering the surgeries he's coming off of.
jgtribbett
3/28/11 3:48:29PM
Bas would be a billionaire if he just bet on fights...