UFC 127: Kenny Florian Says Jon Fitch's New Vegan Diet Removed His Size Advantage Against BJ Penn

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » UFC 127: Kenny Florian Says Jon Fitch's New Vegan Diet Removed His Size Advantage Against BJ Penn
FastKnockout
2/25/11 12:33:58PM
"I know you mentioned him walking around at 200lbs, that is definitely the case. However, I just was with him at the last UFC in Vegas [UFC 126] he's actually walking around at 176lbs," Florian stated. "He's a vegan now. He's 100 percent vegan. He's changed his whole lifestlye. And the first thing I said to him 'Man, you're looking pretty darn skinny' and he said, 'yeah, I'm a vegan now and I'm 176lbs right now'. That is actually I hear maybe even a concern with people in his own camp."

"Listen, I think B.J. Penn always has a chance. The guy's extremely dangerous on his feet. He's going to be a little bit tougher to take down than Jon Fitch thinks. I would give even more of a chance to Jon Fitch if it was a five-rounder. At three rounds, I give a little bit more of a chance to B.J [Penn] because I think a three-round B.J. [Penn] is different than a five-round B.J. [Penn]. A three-round B.J. [Penn] will go for it right from the outset. He'll be very aggressive. He'll kind of just let it loose for every single round. As soon as that bell starts. I noticed a five-round B.J. [Penn], he really paces himself, he's really unsure of the pace he needs to go at."

LINK
MattHughesRules
2/25/11 12:54:39PM
I think Kenny makes some good points about the fight but the size thing is not one of them. I don't care what Fitch is eating, he is going to be the bigger, probably stronger and more physically imposing fighter. i also think it's the exact reason he wins this fight. The fight is BJ's if he can stay upright, if not I sat Fitch grings him to a 3 round decision victory. A shock to nobody if that happens.
icantthinkofanything
2/25/11 1:25:32PM
im skeptical of cutting lots of weight, I hope the diet works
BigIP
2/25/11 4:13:19PM
This is good news for BJ. Fitch's size advantage worries me the most. Let's hope BJ catches him with a knee ala Wilson Govieva!
prozacnation1978
2/25/11 5:20:40PM
Maybe fitch can introduce the diet to thiago alves
FastKnockout
2/25/11 8:34:46PM

Posted by BigIP

This is good news for BJ. Fitch's size advantage worries me the most. Let's hope BJ catches him with a knee ala Wilson Govieva!

Well, we don't really know if it's good news or not. He won't be losing enough size for Penn to celebrate about. Remember, this is a large Welterweight fighting a small Lightweight. Most of Penn's size will probably just be packed fat, like we've seen in his other Welterweight bouts.

Fitch also mentioned that he actually feels stronger, has more energy, and feels faster. If that is true, it might have been better for Penn if Fitch just kept the size.
chickmagnet
2/26/11 2:11:41AM
Haha a vegan? Bj you better knock this boy out.
BigBadAl
2/26/11 3:27:34PM
I will be shouting for a BJ (win) sooooooo loud.