UFC 125 thoughts

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » UFC 125 thoughts
jessebb1
1/2/11 1:23:13AM
Hey guys, first post here! Overall I thought this was a solid card and a good way to start out 2011.

Clay Guida VS Takanori Gomi

Guida's movement resembled someone playing dance dance revolution. While it looked crazy, it was effective, as Gomi never seemed to get in his rhythm and looked off balance in the stand-up. Nice submission of the night bonus for Guida. The only thing missing was one of his epic belches!!!

Dong Hyun Kim VS Nate Diaz

The "Stun Gun" did a nice job of controlling Nate Diaz on the ground and avoiding submissions from the guard. Kim won all three rounds and did the PRIDE theme song proud.

Thiago Silva VS Brandon Vera

Brandon Vera has the most underdeveloped chest I've ever seen. He's physically weak. Thiago Silva overpowered him, broke his nose badly and dominated the fight. I still remember back when Chuck was dating Willa Ford and Vera called him out claiming how he was going to hold both HW and LHW titles at the same time, lol...

The "truth" is, Vera is overrated.

Brian Stann VS Chris Leben

WOW! Chris Leben hasn't gotten an ass whipping like that since he fought Anderson Silva. Yeah, he has an iron chin and tons of heart, but you can only get hit on the button by a superior athlete so many times before you crumble to the mat...

I'm very impressed with Brian Stann and look forward to seeing him again.

Frankie Edgar VS Gray Maynard

I had this fight scored a draw as well and could tell by the look on Dana's face that it was going to be a draw before it was announced. I had it scored...

R1 10-8 Maynard
R2 10-9 Edgar
R3 10-9 Maynard
R4 10-9 Edgar
R5 10-9 Edgar

47-47=Draw

Edgar showed tremendous heart just surviving the first round though. I heard him ask his corner which round they were in between rounds three and four. You should have to beat the champion in order to win the belt and I have no problem with Edgar retaining the title.

chipeeman99
1/2/11 2:23:18AM
disappointed in gomi and that was some crazy head movement by guida.

thiago silva looked great against vera. Really gave it to him.

I couldnt believe brian stan. Holy cow that guy showed up to fight tonight.

edgar maynard turned out to be a good back and forth fight. It was great to watch frankie come back from that first round ass kicking. Damn Maynard has gotta learn how to finish and he punched himself out a little bit. I called it after that fifth round that it may be a draw. SHould def. have a rematch and hold off on that pettis fight.
Chael_Sonnen
1/2/11 2:59:31AM
Great fight card overall.....more exciting than I thought going in
DARRYL_Ledonne
1/2/11 5:08:59AM
The "truth" is, Vera is overrated

I never saw his any good fight.

I also think so..
prozacnation1978
1/2/11 9:11:41AM
Excellent card even the prelims were all solid besides the volkman vs mckee fight
Mike brown got robbed he should have won that fight

I did crappy on picks but hell 3 underdogs won last night

Leban was looking past stann. And wanted to brawl and got caught
Now with his lost
I doubt he will be a tuf coach
It just may be silva vs sonnen now. Or lesnar vs mir
Title fight was very entertaining
Couldn't believe maynard almost finished it
Can't believe edgar stormed back
Edgar has to be the number one light weight in the world
I saw it a draw as well maybe slight edge to maynard
And with miller, pettis, and sotoropolous waiting in the wings
Their has to be a instant rematch my guess in april toronto
Vera got a ass whipping and will be shown the door
Guida and kim looked good. U could see diaz was getting frustarated
I feel bad for grispi went from title shot co main event to now not even
Getting a title shot. If homminck wins in jan he will get it instead
State_Champ
1/2/11 10:24:02AM
I liked this card a lot.
I was impressed by Edgar's ability to nullify the wrestling of Maynard.

I want to see Thiago Silva vs. Rampage Jackson.
I want to see an Edgar/Maynard rematch AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.

RyanC
1/2/11 12:54:11PM
Did anyone have a problem with the Kim/Diaz decision? I didn't, but I was looking at what FightMetric thought of the Edgar/Maynard fight, and it has Diaz winning 29-28. I thought Nate won the last round, but lost the first two. I was surprised FightMetric thought otherwise.

Also does anyone know if Silva and Vera had a beef before this fight? Silva really made a point of embarassing Vera. Just wondered if they had history I'd never heard about.

I'm really bummed for Chris Leben. I thought he could beat Stann in a tough fight. Pretty impressed by Stann though. He looked good.
Bloodhound
1/2/11 1:21:54PM

Posted by State_Champ

I liked this card a lot.

I'm thinkin the same thing, lets see Silva try that slapping BS on Rampage
hate4thestate
1/2/11 4:53:50PM

Posted by Bloodhound

Posted by State_Champ

I liked this card a lot.

I'm thinkin the same thing, lets see Silva try that slapping BS on Rampage

Bad stylistic match up for Rampage in Thiago Silva. Thiago Silva annhilates him in that fight...
jiujitsufreak74
1/2/11 8:19:50PM

Posted by RyanC

Did anyone have a problem with the Kim/Diaz decision? I didn't, but I was looking at what FightMetric thought of the Edgar/Maynard fight, and it has Diaz winning 29-28. I thought Nate won the last round, but lost the first two. I was surprised FightMetric thought otherwise.

Also does anyone know if Silva and Vera had a beef before this fight? Silva really made a point of embarassing Vera. Just wondered if they had history I'd never heard about.

I'm really bummed for Chris Leben. I thought he could beat Stann in a tough fight. Pretty impressed by Stann though. He looked good.

I saw in an interview with Ariel Helwani that there was no beef prior to the fight, it was just Thiago trying to frustrate Vera so that Vera made a mistake in hope to catch Vera and finish him. at the end of the first Thiago said Try to kick my ass, so nothing too bad at all.

fightmetric goes purely on numbers, so it isn't like they "thought" the fight should go either way. top control is not really scored on Fight metric besides for the actual take down numbers, so they score it more like a Pride fight instead of a UFC fight. in pride Diaz would have had a chance to win, but with the way judges score UFC fights he had no chance imo. i was impressed with Kim's ability to control Diaz, yet i was also impressed with how Diaz never gave up. if he gets his TD defense up, which he should training with Shields, then he will make some big waves. but that's not anything we didn't already know.
RyanC
1/2/11 10:16:19PM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

Posted by RyanC

I saw in an interview with Ariel Helwani that there was no beef prior to the fight, it was just Thiago trying to frustrate Vera so that Vera made a mistake in hope to catch Vera and finish him. at the end of the first Thiago said Try to kick my ass, so nothing too bad at all.

fightmetric goes purely on numbers, so it isn't like they "thought" the fight should go either way. top control is not really scored on Fight metric besides for the actual take down numbers, so they score it more like a Pride fight instead of a UFC fight. in pride Diaz would have had a chance to win, but with the way judges score UFC fights he had no chance imo. i was impressed with Kim's ability to control Diaz, yet i was also impressed with how Diaz never gave up. if he gets his TD defense up, which he should training with Shields, then he will make some big waves. but that's not anything we didn't already know.

Thank you for your response and your thoughts!
BustedKnuckle
1/6/11 7:52:08PM
UFC 125 as a whole was a very solid card. The prelims were good, and the main card did not dissapoint. My top 4 moments in order were:

#4: DHK "smothering" Diaz in a grappling fight
#3: Guida's "Caveman Rave Dance"
#2: Thiago Silva "Demolishing" Vera
#1: Jeremy Stevens' flying "Hendo Smash" punch to make sure Marcus Davis was out!!??