UFC 120: The Losers Aftermath

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » UFC 120: The Losers Aftermath
DCRage
10/18/10 10:57:43AM
It's now quite a popular discussion topic even before UFC events-what likely happens to the losers of each fight. With UFC 120 in the books it's time to share our opinions on that topic. Here are my opinions of where each loser goes, "Safe" meaning I think he gets at least one more fight or has nothing to worry about, "Push" means it's a tossup/50-50 on stay or go, "Gone" meaning I think he's going to be cut. Here goes:
Dan Hardy-Push. After the loss my first thought was he could be Thales Leites 2.0-from title shot to cut in just 2 fights. He's still a solid 4-2 in UFC and he just got caught against Condit, but he's still on the Losing Streak Of Doom like Leites was. But Hardy's loss to Condit wasn't totally lopsided and he did just get caught. I think he's going to get one more chance but wouldn't catch me totally off guard if he got cut. I'd still call it at least a mild surprise. He probably won't be seen again until the next England event.
Yoshihiro Akiyama-Gone. This might be the most heated debate. He's been a very unimpressive 1-2 in UFC, just ekeing out a decision in his debut and since then he's been submitted by Chris Leben (Chris Leben!) and now shut out by Bisping. I have a new nickname for him but to post it here might be considered fighter bashing so I'll keep it to myself. Cage Potato said he could turn out to be the biggest free agent bust ever in UFC. They might be right. His trip back to Japan could be one-way.
John Hathaway-Safe. All this cost him, for now, was probably a #1 contender fight or perhaps the Jake Shields-Martin Kampmann loser and his perfect career mark. But it might raise the "fluke" argument over his victory against Diego Sanchez.
James Wilks-Push. Including the TUF 9 Finale he's now 2-2 but on a 1-2 skid. His being a TUF winner probably will get him one more chance.
James McSweeney-Gone. Losing Streak Of Doom + 1-4 in last 5 = time for a new job.
Mark Holst-Gone. Sing with me: These "Boots" are made for walkin', and that's just what they'll do...
Cyrille Diabate-Push. The loss was his first overall in 4 years, first since late 2006 to some guy named Mauricio Rua. If it's my choice, he gets one more chance.
Vinicius Kappke De Queiroz-Gone. His name is longer than his likely UFC run.
Kurt Warburton-Push. Taking Spencer Fisher to the limit and, in some eyes, nearly pulling the upset should earn him another fight. Likely on the next England event.

Almost forgot...even though Travis Browne vs. Cheick Kongo was a Draw...
Browne-Safe. Still unbeaten and was coming off a win. Although Kongo clearly grabbed defeat from him in round 3...
Kongo-Gone. I was tempted to say Push, but he's now 1-2-1 in his last 4. Yes, the 2 losses were to Cain and Mir, and the win was against Paul Buentello, but it clearly seems like he peaked at the time he beat Cro Cop. Just hasn't been the fighter he once was. May prove to be the costliest grab of something since Tito grabbed the fence against Rashad.
emfleek
10/18/10 11:16:00AM

Posted by DCRage

Dan Hardy-Push. After the loss my first thought was he could be Thales Leites 2.0-from title shot to cut in just 2 fights. He's still a solid 4-2 in UFC and he just got caught against Condit, but he's still on the Losing Streak Of Doom like Leites was. But Hardy's loss to Condit wasn't totally lopsided and he did just get caught. I think he's going to get one more chance but wouldn't catch me totally off guard if he got cut. I'd still call it at least a mild surprise. He probably won't be seen again until the next England event.

100,000% safe.

I would be completely floored if (arguably) the 2nd most popular British fighter was cut. I see no chance of it happening, personally.
gartface
10/18/10 11:23:48AM

Posted by emfleek
100,000% safe.

I would be completely floored if (arguably) the 2nd most popular British fighter was cut. I see no chance of it happening, personally.

Absolutely agree. I also can't see Akiyama being cut just yet.
grappler0000
10/18/10 11:32:50AM

Posted by gartface

Posted by emfleek
100,000% safe.

Yep, agree on both. Akiyama would be the more likely of the two to be cut, but I think both are safe. Both are exciting fighters and help keep interest in their respective homelands. Besides, I can't remember the winner of a FOTN award getting the axe before, but I may just have a bad memory.
gartface
10/18/10 12:55:19PM

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by gartface

Posted by emfleek
100,000% safe.

Yep, agree on both. Akiyama would be the more likely of the two to be cut, but I think both are safe. Both are exciting fighters and help keep interest in their respective homelands. Besides, I can't remember the winner of a FOTN award getting the axe before, but I may just have a bad memory.

Absolutely correct my friend. Akiyama is, and will be instrumental into the UFC's eventual Asian invasion. His name holds buckets of proverbial water in Japan and Korea.
spikerman19
10/18/10 1:18:12PM
I am a huge Kongo fan, with that said he needs to be cut. I was yelling at my TV watching his fight, he displays no killer instinct. Maybee a run in Strikeforce can get him going again. He to good on his feet.
FastKnockout
10/18/10 2:54:19PM
Akiyama - I don't agree with you. As long as you have a name and you show up to fight, the UFC will most likely keep you around. Look at the British fighter Paul Taylor. He's 3-4 since joining the UFC, but they keep him around because he's exciting with almost of his fights being FOTN. Akiyama is only 1-2 with all three earning FOTN honors, and losing to Bisping and Leben isn't such a big deal. Leben has gone 11-5 since joining the UFC with wins over Cote, Rivera, Fioravanti, Santiago, Martin, Sakara, Simpson, and Akiyama. 2 fight losing streaks aren't that big of a deal, especially when he's fighting some of the best in the division.

Dan Hardy - Are you serious? Did you just compare Hardy to Leites? No, just no. Again, you might be looking too much into losing streaks. All fighters have them. Dana is smart enough not to cut one of his biggest draws in the U.K just because of a two fight losing streak, in which one was to the current champion. Did you hear the cheering for Hardy even after the KO? Dana was in the arena, I know he did. As for "just getting caught", when both you and your opponent land the exact same punch at the exact same time, that doesn't count as "just getting caught", that's called having more power than your opponent. If this counts as "just getting caught", then all should be said for all knockouts in the sport.

Vinicius Kappke De Queiroz - I have to wonder, did you even watch this fight? It wasn't that bad. You can look it up on the UFC official site. It's free.

prozacnation1978
10/18/10 7:47:34PM
3 fights for sexyiama. 2 fight of the nights. Should be 3
No way he gets cut.

I do think holst , sweeney, are gone for sure

Kongo and kappke safe. May face eachother

Wilks??? I have no idea, 2-2. At least he does make weight
I think him vs sandallah. Loser gets cut would be nice