UFC 117-Worst Staredown Ever?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » UFC 117-Worst Staredown Ever?
DCRage
8/6/10 8:19:35AM
Although Thiago Alves found it funny...
emfleek
8/6/10 8:54:52AM
*pray to the MMA Gods that Sonnen can pull this off and knock Anderson's face off and wipe the octagon floor with it*

cowcatcher
8/6/10 10:39:28AM
the whole press conference was a laugh riot, alves couldnt stop laughing to save his life every time sonnen talked. a buddy of mine and i were talking about some of the gems sonnen has had, and besides denying the lance armstrong accusations where he said it wasnt him and the guy sounded spanish(LMAO), he did an interview during either the last PPV or UFC on VS and said "ive been nothing but a gentleman this whole time". the guy is outrageous and ridiculous, but damn it he is hilarious. ive been nothing but a gentleman...
SpiderSilva
8/6/10 10:43:40AM
sonnen looked scared to me its about time for him to eat every word he has said cause anderson is gonna finish sonnen
ChokeUout
8/6/10 12:43:46PM
well, that wasn't really the staredown, I saw it streaming live...

THey had a real staredown, and silva was forehead to forehead with this guy, then they wer esupposed to turn to the front and pose, but silva wasn't ready to take his attention off Chael.

I REALLY think people have let the Silva/Maia Fight get the best of them. Yeah, I didn't like it either...so now everyone is gonna root for Chael Sonnen? C'mon, it obvious what he's doing....He knows people are mad at silva, he's saying what they want to hear to cash in on his 15 minutes of fame, and the Majority of MMA fans have bitten the bait like a dumb fish...If there were no talk and it was simply Chael vs Anderson, everyone would realize SOnnen has no chance....

Seriously, everything to come out of this guys mouth has been just silly. He been calling out ANderson for 4 years? He's only been back in the UFC for a year and a half after getting cut, and he LOST his first fight back! ANderson speaks perfect English? Well, Silva tried speaking English for the MMA Live interview yesterday, and it's clear he's got a ways to go. Silva's the CHamp, but Chael is the Best? LOL...that's why he has 10 losses and hasn't finished anyone since 2007 or something...

ANd My favorite: ANderson is a liar and a Fraud? ha, yeah...I think Jim Rome just proved that YOU in fact are the liar and fraud denying those Armstrong Comments, Mr. Sonnen!

I know I'm in the minority, But I consider Anderson the lesser of the two evils here. I think That pic shows that Chael knows what's coming to him. Can't wait for this fight./ If anyone deserves a beatdown, it's Mr. Sonnen!
Jackelope
8/6/10 1:14:17PM
Rooting for Chael because at least he didn't slap every MMA fan who shelled out $50+ in the face. Twice.

Picking Anderson because he's more talented on paper. We'll see how it goes. Can't stand either of them. Used to like both.
RyanC
8/6/10 1:21:18PM

Posted by Jackelope

Rooting for Chael because at least he didn't slap every MMA fan who shelled out $50+ in the face. Twice.

Picking Anderson because he's more talented on paper. We'll see how it goes. Can't stand either of them. Used to like both.

Twice? What am I forgetting?
cowcatcher
8/6/10 1:24:10PM
the cote fight was garbage, the maia fight was garbage, and the leites fight was garbage. id say 3 times if i was nitpicking.
Twenty20Dollars
8/6/10 1:25:30PM
/\ Thales fight.

Worst staredown still goes to Kongo/Mir
RyanC
8/6/10 1:38:22PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Thales Lietes part of the reason that fight sucked?
Jackelope
8/6/10 1:41:33PM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

/\ Thales fight.

Worst staredown still goes to Kongo/Mir

Haha I'd forgotten about that staredown.

Kongo vs. Mir was just about one of the greatest fight endings I've ever seen, though. God I loved watching Mir knock that product of a giant hype machine onto his ass and then putting him to sleep with one of the most brutal guillotines ever. Thankfully the UFC HW division has come a long way since a few years ago when Kongo was ranked near the top

I always despised Kongo personally. Although I will say he has some of the most vicious GnP I've ever seen. That beat down he put on Al-Turk was legendary.
cowcatcher
8/6/10 1:53:34PM

Posted by RyanC

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Thales Lietes part of the reason that fight sucked?

he definitely was. the thing is, anderson could have gone in there with some semblance of killer instinct and finished the guy, lets face it, thales presents almost no threat to anderson on the feet. the fact that he wasnt willing to commit to engaging on the feet when he has such a clear advantage is what irked a lot of people. in the end he got a win, and thats what matters most, but it was as bad of a title fight as ive seen from local promotions on up to the ufc, and thats on both guys. unfortunately for anderson, since hes a lot of peoples #1 p4p, its on him more than the guy in there with him in many peoples eyes.
RyanC
8/6/10 1:59:11PM

Posted by cowcatcher

Posted by RyanC

he definitely was. the thing is, anderson could have gone in there with some semblance of killer instinct and finished the guy, lets face it, thales presents almost no threat to anderson on the feet. the fact that he wasnt willing to commit to engaging on the feet when he has such a clear advantage is what irked a lot of people. in the end he got a win, and thats what matters most, but it was as bad of a title fight as ive seen from local promotions on up to the ufc, and thats on both guys. unfortunately for anderson, since hes a lot of peoples #1 p4p, its on him more than the guy in there with him in many peoples eyes.

I see what you're saying. I don't know why he's felt the need to toy with guys that he probably should have murdered, but that seems to be his M.O. for whatever reason.
cowcatcher
8/6/10 2:02:16PM
i havent the foggiest why he does that either ryan, its a lot like that disruptive kid in class that the teachers say isnt being challenged. when hes moved up to 205 he has looked like a beast, but in his title fights lately he just has gone through the motions it seems. im not saying he has to move up to 205, or anything like that, but something is clicking for him when he moves up in weight.
noahgenda
8/6/10 3:50:28PM
he is light years ahead of them on the feet he isnt going to commit all out to a brawl, come on. it is strategy. why rush at them throwing punches and open yourself up for one lucky shot or an easy takedown when you can use your footwork and destroy someone as a counter fighter without taking any damage? i really dont have anything against what silva has done in his past fights, he prob taunted maia a little too much, didnt need to call him names, but he has certainly offended me less and carried himself in a more dignified manner than chael sonnen. what really makes me laugh is that people are so upset with spider over boring fights they are going to root for chael sonnen, one of the most boring one dimensional fighters in the game. in every one of his fights it is the other guy that gives it any excitement at all
Chael_Sonnen
8/6/10 4:01:55PM

Posted by emfleek

*pray to the MMA Gods that Sonnen can pull this off and knock Anderson's face off and wipe the octagon floor with it*

Don't worry, he will
Chael_Sonnen
8/6/10 4:04:31PM

Posted by SpiderSilva

sonnen looked scared to me its about time for him to eat every word he has said cause anderson is gonna finish sonnen

Chael didn't look scared, he looked like he wasn't impressed with Anderson.
SpiderSilva
8/6/10 4:04:51PM

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

Posted by emfleek

Don't worry, he will lose

anyone notice Silva with his pink shirt ear rings and backwards hat? Did Charlie Sonnen bring it up again? looked scared no trash talking face to face ehh
BeeR
8/6/10 6:39:43PM
LMAO! best stare down EVER!
that is way better then trash talkin him to his face
seanfu
8/7/10 2:40:26PM
Anderson couldve smashed Cote easily imo so shame on him for that. But I honestly think he was scared of both Leitas and Maia"s ground games because they could sub him and control him. So if he was aggressive he could have lost, whereas if he pulled utter dominance in every second of the standup like he did he had no risk taken.

Agressive striking can get you taken down by even sucky wrestlers and Anderson has crap wrestling.

You cant hate. That's like hating on Kenflo and Rashad for clinching all day and stalling action in the fights against BJ and Rampage.

Gameplanning.
lohmann
8/7/10 2:47:34PM

Posted by cowcatcher

the cote fight was garbage, the maia fight was garbage, and the leites fight was garbage. id say 3 times if i was nitpicking.

What was wrong with the Cote fight?

Anderson hit Cote with head kicks, flying knees, and quite a bit of jabs and leg kicks.

I saw nothing wrong with that fight. May have been a bit slow-paced, but Cote was being cautious too.
seanfu
8/7/10 4:12:18PM

Posted by lohmann

Posted by cowcatcher

What was wrong with the Cote fight?

Anderson hit Cote with head kicks, flying knees, and quite a bit of jabs and leg kicks.

I saw nothing wrong with that fight. May have been a bit slow-paced, but Cote was being cautious too.

What was wrong with the Cote fight is that Anderson didnt have to be cautious, there were no weapons to lose to, he could have Rich Franklined Cote.
Gogoplatapus
8/7/10 5:36:21PM
Actually, I'd consider it to be one of the best. The pic wasn't the staredown, it was when they are supposed to face the photographers. Sonnen turned, Silva got closer.

I like what AS did both times, Presser and Weigh Ins. He's making Sonnen look like a bigger A-hole without even saying anything.