"UFC 108: Evans vs. Silva" takes another hit; lightweight Tyson Griffin out

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » "UFC 108: Evans vs. Silva" takes another hit; lightweight Tyson Griffin out
jae_1833
12/11/09 2:03:28PM
MMAJunkie.com

When it rains, it pours.

MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) has learned from sources close to the promotion that the UFC has lost another featured fighter in its first event of 2010.

Lightweight contender Tyson Griffin (14-2 MMA, 7-2 UFC) has suffered an undisclosed injury in training and has been forced to withdraw from his "UFC 108: Evans vs. Silva" main-card bout with Jim Miller (15-2 MMA, 4-1 UFC).
StorminYourman
12/11/09 2:05:41PM
How many of the fights on this card where changed or taken off.
First one to list all the alterations gets one free prop.
SmileR
12/11/09 2:06:39PM
They should just scrap this card. How many more things could go wrong!?!
cowcatcher
12/11/09 2:11:15PM
i was really looking forward to this fight too. nothing surprises me anymore as far as injuries go, it looks like its just one of those crazy periods for the sport.
jae_1833
12/11/09 2:11:48PM

Posted by StorminYourman

Wish I could do it but you make a very good point, it seems this card has been doomed from the start! Thank God for Joe Silva, he will figure this out for sure!
DCRage
12/11/09 2:15:20PM
At least 4 fighters off already at some point: Condit, Minotauro, Lesnar, Gonzaga.
At least 2 fights: Lesnar-Carwin and Silva-Belfort.
grappler0000
12/11/09 2:27:05PM

Posted by StorminYourman

Prior to this:

Anderson Silva vs Vitor Belfort
Brock Lesnar vs Shane Carwin
Big Nog vs Cain Velasquez
Gabriel Gonzaga vs Junior Dos Santos
Paul Daley vs Carlos Condit
emfleek
12/11/09 2:27:13PM

Posted by StorminYourman

Silva/Belfort (Silva out due to elbow surgery)
Lesnar/Carwin (Lesnar illness)
Nog/Velasquez (Nog staph)
Velasquez/Carwin was rumored (Carwin knee surgery)
Gonzaga/Dos Santos (Gonzaga staph)
Daley/Condit (Condit injury)
Griffin/Miller (Griffin injury)
DCRage
12/11/09 2:29:42PM
Griffin's manager told Weekly they believe it's a "short-term injury", not major but it means no training for at least a few weeks. Sounds like a 4-6 week thing.
Twenty20Dollars
12/11/09 2:30:56PM
well at least there will be free prelims on spike for this card.
StorminYourman
12/11/09 2:55:31PM
DC Rage almost got it but forgot to list Tyson Griffin.Small mistake a prop was earned anyhow.Grappler0000 earned it by saying prior to this citing the thread's article in saying "prior to this".Thanks Fleek for list all injuries on card.

Thanks for playing.

Oops Grappler0000 forgot to list the ever changing Carwin fight.Winner is Fleek.
KaibaThedon
12/11/09 2:59:16PM
Thats pretty terrible news...

Howbout a replacement for him? Always love to see Jim Miller fight... guy is an animal!

Edit: MUSCLE SHARK NOW FIGHTING JIM MILLER. (Got this from MMA Weekly's Facebook. Confirmation to come)

cowcatcher
12/11/09 3:06:55PM

Posted by KaibaThedon

Thats pretty terrible news...

Howbout a replacement for him? Always love to see Jim Miller fight... guy is an animal!

Edit: MUSCLE SHARK NOW FIGHTING JIM MILLER. (Got this from MMA Weekly's Facebook. Confirmation to come)

if thats true that is a great replacement on short notice, way to save the day.
KaibaThedon
12/11/09 3:10:31PM

Posted by cowcatcher

if thats true that is a great replacement on short notice, way to save the day.

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=10222&zoneid=13

It does infact save the day. I'm not sure the card is strong enough yet though, but the Spike prelims will give us at least 7 fights.
emfleek
12/11/09 3:12:45PM
This changes nothing for me...WAR MILLER!
jae_1833
12/11/09 3:14:53PM
Like I said before "In Joe Silva, we trust!" Phenominal job with this quick fix as Sherk was already training up to fight on this card. Seriously think that Miller is in real trouble here!
CwB
12/11/09 8:01:30PM
UFC 108: Disaster

is what the card should be called...

It sucks to see the end of the year card go down like this normally the are the best cards of the year (Look at the last three December cards for proof). All these injuries cheated us fans out of a supercard...
prozacnation1978
12/11/09 11:12:48PM
what a waste of a trip!!
all main card bouts changed no prelims
unbelievable!!
i don't know what else to say