UFC 108: Is it really that bad of a card?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » UFC 108: Is it really that bad of a card?
POLL: Is the card that bad?
YES! YES! YES! 17% (9)
It could be worse 34% (18)
No 36% (19)
Worst card ever! 6% (3)
Cowcatcher sounds like a hippy. 8% (4)
cowcatcher
12/22/09 8:44:03AM
After taking a look at the finalized card, i really dont think its as bad as people on the internets have been saying. sure its lacking star power at the top of the card but with fights like cantwell/vlad and miller/ludwig on the undercard it seems to me that this could be a pretty entertaining event. its not the new years card that was expected, and had the original lineup held true it would have been unbelievable, but im thinking the glass is half full here even if the roster of guys that could fill in has been emptied.
emfleek
12/22/09 8:56:41AM
I don't think it's that bad of a card at all. Some people think a given card sucks solely because there's no title fights. Some people bitch and moan no matter what and are rarely satisfied. I don't really put much stock in to other people's opinions.
emfleek
12/22/09 9:04:16AM
I'm excited for the following...

Evans/Silva
Hazelett/Daley
Lauzon/Stout
Miller/Ludwig
dos Santos/Yvel
Miller/Upgrade
Janitor/Cantwell

NatedawgThaM
12/22/09 9:04:34AM
Theirs alot of very exciting fights on here. Its the same thing with 106 I believe. All the star power fell on theres too(even though they were able to atleast pull out Ortiz-Griffin 2) all the fights looked sick. I think the same goes here. JDS/Yvel is going to be a freakin war! I still have no idea who I'm going to pick in that one. Daley-Hazelett is going to be sick! Either a crafty cool submission or a brutal stoppage. And the main event is between 2 top 10 LHW's even though they aren't the biggest names, it's still a very good fight. Thiago never backs down(GAY! movie haha) and alwasy comes after you and has a great ground game and brutal muay thai coming from chutebox where Rashad has very good boxing and a very good wrestling and has been exciting recently even though he was boring when he first started out besides a cool slam here and there. That fights going to be insane as long as it lasts. Miller/Ludwig will be cool for as long as that lasts. Pyle/Elleneberger is a very interesting fight to see where Jake's at, and kampman/Volkman's going to be a freakin long scrap IMO!

Very exciting fights to look forward too. Just don't know if the fights are all that relavant as too who is getting the next title shot even though that probably is the case for Thiago-Rashad. If Daley keeps winning he's only 2-3 fights away and I'm sure if he does they'll set up an exciting war between him and Koschek because of the Hardy beef, kinda like how Rampage fought Jardine before he was suppose to fight rashad. And JDS is as close as anybody to a title shot in the HW picture but you got to imagine Mir & Big Nog are ahead of him. But crazy fights I am very looking forward too!!! I think Cantwell-Vlad's gonna be boring as hell though IMHO.
emfleek
12/22/09 9:11:37AM

Posted by NatedawgThaM

Just don't know if the fights are all that relavant as too who is getting the next title shot

This is what I don't get. Why must every fight/event have title implications? And I'm not calling you out. More often than not, we always end up talking about where so-and-so is in the title hunt or how many wins away they are or where they're "ranked". I just don't get it.

I honestly don't give a flying **** about title fights. Give me a solid matchup over a likely one-sided title fight (IE: Welterweight, Lightweight, Middleweight, Heavyweight) any day.
Violence108
12/22/09 9:16:27AM
it doesnt look that great to me, the only fight i would like to see is the main event, thats about all, Joe Silva cant save every card
NatedawgThaM
12/22/09 9:32:16AM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by NatedawgThaM

Just don't know if the fights are all that relavant as too who is getting the next title shot

This is what I don't get. Why must every fight/event have title implications? And I'm not calling you out. More often than not, we always end up talking about where so-and-so is in the title hunt or how many wins away they are or where they're "ranked". I just don't get it.

I honestly don't give a flying **** about title fights. Give me a solid matchup over a likely one-sided title fight (IE: Welterweight, Lightweight, Middleweight, Heavyweight) any day.

No I agree. But thats the most problem with most people. They assume It's only a "good card" if you have like Anderson, GSP, Brock, or BJ defending a belt. I wasn't trying to say it like it was a bad thing. I was just trying say it as fact that yeah none of these fights really are #1 contender fights. Rashad/Thiago's pretty damn close to one if its not one. I wasn't trying to say it made the card bad though. I've always stuck up for the cards going to ****, like 106 & I just tried for 108.

Personally, sometimes I rather watch a WEC event then a UFC events most of the time because in the WEC they bring it. I like to say I'm a fan of the fights, not the fighters.
emfleek
12/22/09 9:35:32AM

Posted by NatedawgThaM

I'm a fan of the fights, not the fighters.

karn501
12/22/09 10:01:32AM
not a bad card at all just wish no one had to pull out because it would have been amazing still could be a lot of good matchups still on the card as for people bit**ing about the cards just look at sf evolution a lot of relatively unknown fighters(compared to the ufc) and it was possibly the best card ive seen all year
postman
12/22/09 10:51:36AM
Some how I missed Ludwig was in the UFC let alone on the card Wow! No its a solid card if it where a strikeforce card we would all be creaming our jeans at how good it is.
jiujitsufreak74
12/22/09 10:53:22AM
to address emfleek's question, i'll say that title implications matter to me simply because they are more important. it is like a playoff game in a way, and to me it is more entertaining to watch watch a game with something on the line, it adds an extra element of suspense that is present in all sports. i guess i would say it equates to watching a playoff baseball game or a regular season game, which one would be worth watching to you? and i know that everyone is different, but to me that extra element of "worth" adds a little something to the sporting event that personally makes it more interesting to me. but to each his own i guess
emfleek
12/22/09 11:14:55AM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

to address emfleek's question, i'll say that title implications matter to me simply because they are more important. it is like a playoff game in a way, and to me it is more entertaining to watch watch a game with something on the line, it adds an extra element of suspense that is present in all sports. i guess i would say it equates to watching a playoff baseball game or a regular season game, which one would be worth watching to you? and i know that everyone is different, but to me that extra element of "worth" adds a little something to the sporting event that personally makes it more interesting to me. but to each his own i guess

Well, maybe I worded my response wrong. I do enjoy fights with title implications but, when I see a matchup, it's not the first thing that pops into my head. In other words, I'm excited about the matchup first, not the fact that it has title implications. Nor will I turn my nose up at an event simply because there are no top contenders and/or title fights.

As for the comparison of watching a playoff baseball game or a regular season game...I'm a fan of the sport, so both are worth watching to me. If you can't survive in the regular season, you're not even going to get a chance to play in the postseason.

The argument can even be made that EVERY fight has title implications. Every fighter is just a winning streak away from fighting for a title.
postman
12/22/09 11:24:50AM

Posted by emfleek

Well, maybe I worded my response wrong. I do enjoy fights with title implications but, when I see a matchup, it's not the first thing that pops into my head. In other words, I'm excited about the matchup first, not the fact that it has title implications. Nor will I turn my nose up at an event simply because there are no top contenders and/or title fights.

As for the comparison of watching a playoff baseball game or a regular season game...I'm a fan of the sport, so both are worth watching to me. If you can't survive in the regular season, you're not even going to get a chance to play in the postseason.

The argument can even be made that EVERY fight has title implications. Every fighter is just a winning streak away from fighting for a title.

I feel like if every fight needs title implications for it to get me motivated I would have a tough time watching Dream Strickforce (other then Fedor) MFC or any other non UFC event. Since the UFC is top dog their belt is THE belt. When fighters out side of the UFC fight they are not even setting themselves up to fight for THE title. I just like good fights. Sure I like Title fights too but its not like the UFC has a big board of whos in line that we all get to follow. Leties kinda crept up on all of us.
jiujitsufreak74
12/22/09 11:32:32AM

Posted by emfleek

maybe i should have chosen my words more carefully as well haha. i don't need title implications to get excited about a fight, but as you said it can add an element of enjoyment. i agree that the matchups are the most important, as they bring the actual fight to my viewing pleasure. i just wanted to point out that title implications make fights more interesting to me as kind of a secondary factor
submissionartist1
12/22/09 12:23:22PM
its not that this would be a bad card if say it was a Fight night on spike or maybe a eastcoast card in august but new years is always big for fight all the way back to the WAR OF 04 so in comparison it maybe bad...
SpiderSilva
12/22/09 1:50:34PM
All I know it most of the time these type of cards are the most entertaining these guys that are on the main card seem to always put on a show so why would anyone think its not gonna be a good show???? And as far as title implecations go I never really care cause the ufc seems to build up 2-3 or more guys who can fight for the title at any point that's why I never care cause who ever is given a title show is VARY deserving of it
ncordless
12/22/09 2:30:58PM
It's always the cards that everyone is putting down that end up being the best.
emfleek
12/22/09 2:36:19PM

Posted by ncordless

Yep. We'll see the following threads on 1/3/10...

"THAT CARD WAS SIIIICK!!"
"Was UFC 108 the best of the year?"
"What a way to close out the year!"
"emfleek slept with my mom last night!"

soundboy1
12/22/09 8:12:21PM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by ncordless

Yep. We'll see the following threads on 1/3/10...

"THAT CARD WAS SIIIICK!!"
"Was UFC 108 the best of the year?"

Well by default it's the best of the year
That being said I wouldn't spend the money to see it on ppv... I feel like there have been fight nights with way better cards... And as far as the title match thing goes I always prefer a match for the belt as it potentially can go 5 rounds...
BustedKnuckle
12/22/09 8:25:42PM
No way this is a bad card. Not all cards have to be stacked with big name fighters. All of the fighters on this card have earned the right to fight in the UFC. All I have to say about 108 is WAR Ellenberger and Thiagos Silva!!
prozacnation1978
12/23/09 9:12:16AM
their is a big difference between buying a 50 dollar pay per view card and shelling out 800 plus to go see it live!!!!!!!!!!!

bad card it is dreadful, but not the worst
that honor goes to griffin vs rampage card
copcopps
12/23/09 2:59:59PM

Posted by prozacnation1978
that honor goes to griffin vs rampage card

Totally agree on that point, couldn't be worse than that
Rabi
12/26/09 4:45:17AM
LOL, I won 500 quid on the Griffin/Rampage card so i liked that card. Im one of those fans who look forward to all the UFC cards, and surprisingly I am looking forward to this one as well. Great way to start 2010. And we get the prelims as well, I love the prelims being shown before the PPV, awsome idea.