UFC 106 Results/Discussion (Spoilers)

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » Spoilers Forum » UFC 106 Results/Discussion (Spoilers)
Next Page »
DCRage
11/21/09 4:32:07PM
We're underway!
Tonight's card:
Prelims:
George Sotiropoulos beat Jason Dent by submission (armbar) at 4:36 of round 2.
Fabricio Camoes vs. Caol Uno went to a Draw. 2 28-28s and 1 29-27.
Brian Foster beat Brock Larson by TKO (strikes) at 3:23 of round 2.
TV fights:
Kendall Grove beat Jake Rosholt by submission (triangle) at 3:59 of round 1.
Marcus Davis vs. Ben Saunders
PPV:
Phil Baroni vs. Amir Sadollah
Paulo Thiago vs. Jacob Volkmann
Luis Cane vs. Antonio Rogerio Nogueira
Anthony Johnson vs. Josh Koscheck
Main Event: Forrest Griffin vs. Tito Ortiz

Additonally, Junkie will have live streaming video of the post-event press conference, scheduled to begin at 2 AM ET.

And finally, expect Mike Goldberg to be broadcasting tonight. He missed some of this weekend's events due to illness.
Pookie
11/21/09 5:10:01PM
Anyone else feeling confident about this event?
RMFG_187
11/21/09 5:12:40PM
Theres 10 fights on this card if I counted right, and I'm lookin for win #200, so ya i feel Cocky
RMFG_187
11/21/09 5:17:38PM
actually I recently found a trend in the rounds in past UFC fights that I've never noticed before.
hotrodttt
11/21/09 5:36:57PM
There are a lot of chances for upsets. I want the picks to lock before I reveal my upset special.
Aaronno9
11/21/09 6:22:09PM
This is the most un-confident ive been for a while. Ive got 5-6 fights which are all hot bout worthy in my mind, I was litterally torn down the middle with them all. To make matters worse, I just realised im currently in 6th place for the season overall, so its going to be a little dissapoints when I end up around 6 for 5 and drop 100 or so places!
NeaRMisS
11/21/09 6:54:26PM
Any chance someone can PM me a link of the fight when it starts. Thanks much!
Twenty20Dollars
11/21/09 6:58:15PM
Could we see two TUF winners get the boot here if they lose? Amir and Grove.
EvenFlow
11/21/09 7:00:55PM

Posted by hotrodttt

There are a lot of chances for upsets. I want the picks to lock before I reveal my upset special.

We have the same upset picks.
bojangalz
11/21/09 7:05:55PM

Posted by EvenFlow

Posted by hotrodttt

We have the same upset picks.

+2
tepid55
11/21/09 7:19:28PM
I think Amir and Kendall will lose their fights.
D0wnUnd6e6r
11/21/09 7:21:33PM

Posted by tepid55

I think Amir and Kendall will lose their fights.

Amir CAN'T lose. I think i'm gonna cry if i see Baroni getting a W in the UFC again, what a clown, I hate him. I agree with Kendall losing though.
tepid55
11/21/09 7:34:49PM
I have Sotiropoulous by RD 1 SUB in the first fight.
Macheetah
11/21/09 7:38:18PM
War Sotiro!

I'm pretty nervous, most of this card was hard to pick.
RMFG_187
11/21/09 7:41:07PM
I learned a long time ago when u get an undefeated fighter as a big underdog (+400) you have to take it, although Paulo Thiago is no joke and will sub Volkmann
Macheetah
11/21/09 7:43:39PM
I think Volkmann might be able to hang in there and get it to a decision. I think Paulo will win, but Volkmann has the tools to win and it wouldn't surprise me.
Aether
11/21/09 7:47:07PM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

No, because this is only Amir's second fight of the contract he won on the show, they won't boot him without giving him all of his fights. Grove possibly, but I doubt it.
Macheetah
11/21/09 7:49:00PM
I just saw this on MMA Junkie, what the **** is this?

"NSAC says Tito Ortiz gets $250,000 (no win bonus possible) for tonight. Fellow co-headliner Forrest Griffin gets $100,000 to show and an additional $150,000 as a win bonus if he's victorious."

So they are throwing out a win bonus for Forrest as some encouragement to win? Yet all Ortiz has to do is show up and get his check? NSAC are dirty. They want Forrest to take this.
MMAcca
11/21/09 7:50:44PM

Posted by Macheetah

"NSAC says Tito Ortiz gets $250,000 (no win bonus possible) for tonight. Fellow co-headliner Forrest Griffin gets $100,000 to show and an additional $150,000 as a win bonus if he's victorious."

So they are throwing out a win bonus for Forrest as some encouragement to win? Yet all Ortiz has to do is show up and get his check? NSAC are dirty. They want Forrest to take this.

Or that's just the terms of the contract both guys signed.....?

PS. Randy Couture doesn't receive a win bonus either as far as i know.
DCRage
11/21/09 7:53:07PM

Posted by Aether

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

No, because this is only Amir's second fight of the contract he won on the show, they won't boot him without giving him all of his fights. Grove possibly, but I doubt it.

The guarantee's only for 1 year. And it's been longer than that. He loses, he's gone.

On money-Liddell and Machida are among other fighters who don't get win bonuses either.
Macheetah
11/21/09 7:53:31PM

Posted by MMAcca

Posted by Macheetah

That would be in Griffin's regular company contract, not the contract for this fight, I think.

But think about it, why would they pay Griffin so much less than Ortiz? Griffin is just as popular if not more popular than Ortiz these days and probably puts just as many people in the seats. He should be getting paid just as much, at least closer than that. $100,000 to show for Forrest doesn't sound right as compared to Tito's $250,000... Griffin has something to fight for tonight now.
RMFG_187
11/21/09 7:54:11PM
Tito has no win bonus because him being there will sell half the PPVs. I dunno if u have been to UFC.com recently but its plastered with ads by Tito hyping up some downloadable content, this fight and more. Hes a sell out, so he gets payed
Aether
11/21/09 7:54:33PM

Posted by Macheetah

You get paid to fill seats, Tito is one of the biggest draws in all of MMA and has headlined several of the most watched main events in the history of the sport. There's nothing dirty about it, it's simple economics. Some people take a flat rate instead of a show/win bonus. Frankly Forrest is lucky to be able to potentially make the same amount as Tito, because he is nowhere near as big of a draw.
MMAcca
11/21/09 7:54:35PM
I'm doubtful Amir will get kicked out should he lose. The UFC seems to really like him and he also presents the online TUF10 show.
MMAcca
11/21/09 7:56:00PM

Posted by Macheetah

Posted by MMAcca

Posted by Macheetah

That would be in Griffin's regular company contract, not the contract for this fight, I think.

But think about it, why would they pay Griffin so much less than Ortiz? Griffin is just as popular if not more popular than Ortiz these days and probably puts just as many people in the seats. He should be getting paid just as much, at least closer than that. $100,000 to show for Forrest doesn't sound right as compared to Tito's $250,000... Griffin has something to fight for tonight now.

Like others have stated already....Tito sells PPVs.
Macheetah
11/21/09 7:58:00PM
You can't really say Ortiz sells as much PPV's as he used to now. Think about his popularity as compared to Griffin's. Griffin is just as important to the UFC and PPV buys as Ortiz is. Griffin is one of the most popular fighters out there right now, probably only surpassed by Brock, Chuck, Randy, GSP and Silva.
MMAcca
11/21/09 8:00:22PM

Posted by Macheetah

You can't really say Ortiz sells as much PPV's as he used to now. Think about his popularity as compared to Griffin's. Griffin is just as important to the UFC and PPV buys as Ortiz is. Griffin is one of the most popular fighters out there right now, probably only surpassed by Brock, Chuck, Randy, GSP and Silva.

Again, Tito sells PPVs. FACT.

Do you have any evidence to back up your claims ?
MMAcca
11/21/09 8:02:23PM
In the first fight of tonight:

George Sotiropoulos def. Jason Dent via submission (armbar) - Round 2, 4:36.
Macheetah
11/21/09 8:02:39PM
Didn't think he would submit Dent, thought Dent would hang in there... Oh well, nice little 5 points to start off the night.
KaibaThedon
11/21/09 8:02:53PM
Aussie George with another sub!

They gonna have to start giving this guy quality opponents soon

edit: hope this makes it to some part of the televised portion!!!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9