UFC 104's crowd-pleasing lightweight Spencer Fisher wants a shot at B.J. Penn

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » UFC 104's crowd-pleasing lightweight Spencer Fisher wants a shot at B.J. Penn
ThaAxeMurderer7
10/21/09 3:58:05PM
The last time the UFC visited Staples Center was for UFC 60 in May of 2006.

With the organization's return to the arena on Saturday night for "UFC 104: Machida vs. Shogun" just three days away, one fighter from that UFC 60 card is again readying himself for a fight at the Los Angeles venue: Spencer Fisher (23-4 MMA, 8-3 UFC).

Fisher earned a highlight-reel knockout of Matt Wiman in his first trip to Staples Center, and "The King" told MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio) that while he'll bring a new look to the cage on Saturday night, he expects similar results.

Link
george112
10/21/09 4:03:20PM
i really dont think spencer is anywhere near the level of bj.

spencer is strictly a gatekeeper in my eyes
1daveufc
10/21/09 4:16:12PM
Not going to happen cause your not going to get past joe.
KaibaThedon
10/21/09 4:29:25PM
Spencer isn't even a top 10 LW ?

Nuff said
bjj1605
10/21/09 4:40:51PM
I think everyone might be underestimating spencer fisher. He's a very talented and well rounded fight. His striking is top notch (if not supremely powerful) his takedowns and takedown defense are very good (he has some great judo style throws) and his grappling is no joke (he submitted Thiago Alves in a triagle at WW). I think if and when he beats Joe Stevenson a lot of people will change their minds about this guy.
SamPan
10/21/09 6:01:12PM

Posted by bjj1605

I think everyone might be underestimating spencer fisher. He's a very talented and well rounded fight. His striking is top notch (if not supremely powerful) his takedowns and takedown defense are very good (he has some great judo style throws) and his grappling is no joke (he submitted Thiago Alves in a triagle at WW). I think if and when he beats Joe Stevenson a lot of people will change their minds about this guy.

He lost to Stout. He's not beating Penn and probly wont get the shot.
fizzle
10/21/09 6:05:23PM

Posted by SamPan

Posted by bjj1605

He also beat Stout if you've done your research and both were extremely entertaining fights. Spencer The King Fisher always puts on entertaining fights unless someone lays and prays their was to victory over him. As bjj2605 said I think a lot of people are underestimating him. If Joe decides to stand with Spencer and not use his wrestling to get take down after take down then I see Spencer knocking his block off or winning the UD on points.
Chuteboxer
10/21/09 6:09:51PM
Spencer is a pretty underrated fighter. I don't see him beating BJ in a fight, though I think he'd make it interesting...

higdon10
10/21/09 6:13:27PM
Fisher isnt anywhere near a title shot. He may not even be top 10.
Giant_Ochai
10/21/09 6:17:54PM
Penn would wreck him inside of one round. BJ is just better at everything.
kopower
10/21/09 6:23:01PM
Spencer is one of my favorite fighters but if he fought Penn, it would end up like the Stevenson/Penn fight. It would be an entertaining fight for awhile though.
prozacnation1978
10/21/09 7:46:41PM
yeah even with 3 straight wins i don't have spencer in top 10 nor daddy either
mshalosky
10/21/09 8:04:48PM

SamPan

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted by bjj1605

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First of all Fisher had to cut 20 lbs the night before the fight. 2nd Fisher wasnt givin time to study up on his opponent. 3rd he has already avenged that loss. 4th he has never been finished and if u see that guillitine wiman had on him u would know hes tough as hell. I dont even really like Fisher that much just sayin look into things before u write a guy off.
higdon10
10/21/09 8:07:04PM

Posted by mshalosky

SamPan

Posted by bjj1605

First of all Fisher had to cut 20 lbs the night before the fight. 2nd Fisher wasnt givin time to study up on his opponent. 3rd he has already avenged that loss. 4th he has never been finished and if u see that guillitine wiman had on him u would know hes tough as hell. I dont even really like Fisher that much just sayin look into things before u write a guy off.

We arent writing him off, we are just saying that there are a ton of guys more deserving of a shot than him.
jae_1833
10/21/09 8:55:52PM
d have to see him finish Joe, then beat at least 2 other TOP LWs for me to be convinced that he deserves a shot......like Maynard, Edgar, or Griffin.
bjj1605
10/21/09 11:34:21PM

Posted by SamPan

Posted by bjj1605

He lost that fight after cutting 20 pounds on like a days notice. IMO he should have gotten that decision. AND!!! He avenged the loss convincingly. He also beat Thiago Alves who everyone loves so much. He submitted him but if you remember right he was clearly winning the stand up exchanges as well.

I don't have him top ten right now either but he could very easily be top 10 soon and might be a handful of fights away from a title shot.
Aether
10/22/09 12:01:31AM
I think that if Diego can't do it, no LW in the UFC can. BJ is just too good to be beaten in a weight class where he won't be severely undersized.
State_Champ
10/22/09 12:03:26AM
I wouldn't mind seeing Spencer fight BJ. Spencer has a good chin and some awesome cardio. Dude is super durable (if I'm remembering right).
I wonder how long he'd last against "The Prodigy"?