UFC 104: Ben Rothwell vs Cain Velasquez booked for Oct. 24

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » UFC 104: Ben Rothwell vs Cain Velasquez booked for Oct. 24
jae_1833
8/20/09 3:15:39PM
link

On the heels of Shane Carwin being scratched from UFC 104 to challenge Brock Lesnar for the division title in November, MMAmania.com (www.mmamania.com) can confirm that former IFL and Affliction heavyweight standout Ben Rothwell has agreed to step in for “The Engineer” versus Cain Velasquez on Oct. 24.

lin
Jackelope
8/20/09 3:24:55PM
I feel like I missed something huge. Since when did Velasquez vs. Carwin get scrapped? Possibly during my vacation? Can't believe I didn't hear this news!
grappler0000
8/20/09 3:26:30PM

Posted by Jackelope

I feel like I missed something huge. Since when did Velasquez vs. Carwin get scrapped? Possibly during my vacation? Can't believe I didn't hear this news!

Yeah, I'm just finding out recently as well...apparently Carwin will be facing Lesnar at 106.
cowcatcher
8/20/09 3:28:05PM
just happened last night, and was confirmed today. nice job on the replacement though, i wasnt sure what other HW there was for cain to fight outside of herring.
seanfu
8/20/09 3:33:00PM
This is like a superfight to me. Cain is a huge up and comer and Rothwell is a Herring level HW with contender potential.
prozacnation1978
8/20/09 3:42:00PM
great fight don't sleep on big ben!!
but i do think cain wins he gets next shot
cowcatcher
8/20/09 3:48:34PM
if big ben touches cains chin it could be lights out, but cain is the definite favorite in my eyes.
emfleek
8/20/09 3:52:11PM
This will be Cain's breakout fight.

Devastating KO. Nighty night, Ben.
burialchamber
8/20/09 3:55:06PM
I'm actually happy about this... Cain needs another few fights to tighten up his game before being matched up with guys like Carwin or Lesnar.
jae_1833
8/20/09 4:08:57PM
I like Cain in this fight, the only chance I see for Ben is to land one of those huge head kicks he likes to throw.
bjj1605
8/20/09 4:18:33PM
Ya I see Cain pushing the action and winning this fight. He could finish it but I think a decision is more likely. I like this a lot better than Carwin vs Velasquez because now we get a chance to see more legit contenders for Lesnar's belt.
DCRage
8/20/09 4:24:11PM
This is a good fight for Cain. A win definitely earns him a title shot, but don't sleep on Big Ben, he's a real tough guy himself with a solid record.
mrsmiley
8/20/09 4:34:25PM
I say Ben puts up a valent effort,that last until midway through the second round.
Velasquez will be putting too much together for Rothwell to deal with,but I say Ben could change all that with one punch.
nickcuc547
8/20/09 5:24:37PM

Posted by burialchamber

I'm actually happy about this... Cain needs another few fights to tighten up his game before being matched up with guys like Carwin or Lesnar.

agreed, i don't think he was ready for carwin, but rothwell is a great fight to prove he belongs in the discussion.
wrona666
8/20/09 5:34:14PM
i see Cain winning this fight exactly how he beat Kongo.......Wrestling his way to a decision win.....
gartface
8/20/09 6:29:14PM
I wish it was the other way around. Carwin vs. Rothwell and Velasquez vs. Lesnar. Rothwell would put Carwin on his ass with one punch/kick.

I see Cain just working takedowns for 3 rounds and moving up the ladder. Tough first fight for Big Ben.
Sinister
8/20/09 7:12:27PM

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by Jackelope

Yeah, I'm just finding out recently as well...apparently Carwin will be facing Lesnar at 106.

Ha, I saw a topic Lesnar vs Carwin and that is was just a scenario if Carwin won the Velasquez fight. I kinda like these two fights better. It wouldve been the best if Fedor wouldve signed then the order would've been

Fedor gets a shot
then
Winner of Velasquez v. Carwin get shot
then
Winner of the CC/Santos Couture/ Nog tournamentish thing

A schedule like like would make the UFC HW title a highly contested one
Jesse_Canadian_MMA
8/20/09 7:17:52PM
100% going for Cain
Boo_Radley21
8/20/09 9:17:05PM
Kind of disappointed that I don't get to see Cain fight Carwin anymore, but I'm sure we'll see it later somewhere along the line.

As for this fight, I think Velasquez is going to dominate him. Hardcore.
ravanunen
8/22/09 1:42:23AM
i'm really sort of happy carwin/cain because i really wanted to see carwin fight lesnar, but didnt want to see cain lose, you know?

but i think cain will gnp rothwell in the 2nd to win