UFC 100 - “Night of Champions” moves one step closer

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » UFC 100 - “Night of Champions” moves one step closer
Next Page »
Rampage200
12/2/08 10:56:23AM
Now, for our more regular readers you may remember that we ran a story way back on October 11th exclusively revealing the UFC’s plans to hold their biggest show yet on July 4th, UFC 100.

UFC 100 - “Night of Champions” moves one step closer
Wolfenstein
12/2/08 11:02:00AM
I love the concept, but the one downside is that there wouldn't be any title fights in any other UFC cards for a while. If it is a night of champions, I'd be wiling to pony up some extra money if that were to be the case.
cowcatcher
12/2/08 11:08:44AM
well i know that plenty of people arent going to like the titles being "held up" for any length of time to make this happen, but this is a once in a blue moon type of event that i would love to see. theres no doubt that this would be the card that would break mma ppv buy records, and everyone from casual fan up to the hardcores would be watching whether they liked the fact that we wouldnt see title fights for awhile before and after july. its ufc 100, why not go all out and put on a world beater of a show.
Darnok
12/2/08 11:59:29AM
What IF Penn has two belts. Does he have to fight twice that night. I would think so.
ohiostate1016
12/2/08 12:15:23PM

Posted by Darnok

What IF Penn has two belts. Does he have to fight twice that night. I would think so.

IF Penn wins then they'll probably do the following:

-Strip Penn of the LW title and have Kenny Florian face somebody like Sean Sherk for the vacant title. Not saying that I like that idea, but that would be their best choice.

-Have a GSP/Penn rubber match for the WW title.

-Anderson would most likely face Maia or Bisping for the MW title, or it's not out of question that those two could fight for a vacant title and Anderson could face Forrest, Rashad, Rampage, or Wandy.

-Forrest/Rashad would probably face the winner of Rampage/Wandy for the LHW crown.

-Lesnar would face the winner of Nog/Mir for the HW title.

-Who knows..we may even see the inclusion of the new Cruiserweight division or something crazy like that.

I think it's pretty obbvious that this is going to be a great night of fights, and I won't miss it for anythiing.
wapttn
12/2/08 12:20:13PM
I think with the talent available in the ufc, we dont need title fights to anchor a card anymore. It definately helps, but its not like a card that's hopeless without the glamour of someone winning a title. Realistically we'll probably have to go 2-3 cards before someone will defend the belt again, and 3-4 cards before hand will go without title defenses... but I think the timing of this event cant be overlooked. The ufc is now becomming a serious part of mainstream sports, and I think 2009 will be a defining year where a lot of people will have their eyes on the sport and decide whether its worth the hype. The espn coverage on the couture/lesnar fight, the stacked card on the 27th, and gsp/penn 2 are really big deals and they're gonna be drawing in a lot of interest... if the UFC can maintain this momentum going into UFC 100 and really put together an outstanding show then the UFC would be competing for sports event of the year... and how are you gonna deny a sport that takes down that honor?
seanfu
12/2/08 12:20:44PM
Don't say that shit about Penn, he might just agree two a two fight night. He's CCCRRRazzzy
manalito
12/2/08 12:25:28PM
It would be nice:

Wanderlie vs Griffin
Noguiera vs Lesnar
BJ Penn vs Kenny Florian
GSP vs Thaigo Alves
Anderson Silva vs Dan Henderson

or

Wanderlie vs Rashad
Noguiera vs Lesnar
BJ Penn vs Kenny Florian
Anderson Silva vs Damian Maia
Welterwieght Title would be on another card if BJ wins
grappler0000
12/2/08 12:30:24PM

Posted by ohiostate1016

IF Penn wins then they'll probably do the following:

-Strip Penn of the LW title and have Kenny Florian face somebody like Sean Sherk for the vacant title. Not saying that I like that idea, but that would be their best choice.

Dana has already said that he would defend both titles.
manalito
12/2/08 12:39:41PM
As far as title being on hold for a while, i dont think it would be that big of a deal to have 2 or 3 events without a title fight, as long as the cards are solid, which UFC has the talent to do.

YOu have other matches and fights you can make untill the champs can put thier titles on the line!!! You could make 3 solid cards before having to put a titles up, using these as televised fights and jsut fill up the undercard.

Rampage vs Griffin 2
Shogun vs Franklin
Karo vs Fitch
Lytle vs Kapman
Pelligrino vs Lauzon

Mir vs Couture
Hughes vs Koscheck
Kang vs Swick
Huerta vs Griffin
Seark vs Edgar

Liddell vs Machida or Thaigo Silva
Diego vs Alves
Guida vs Diaz
Velasquez vs Carwin
Mardquardt vs Lietes 2

I know those fights would keep me satisifed untill there was a title fight!!!

Pitbull09
12/2/08 1:16:56PM

Posted by manalito

As far as title being on hold for a while, i dont think it would be that big of a deal to have 2 or 3 events without a title fight, as long as the cards are solid, which UFC has the talent to do.

YOu have other matches and fights you can make untill the champs can put thier titles on the line!!! You could make 3 solid cards before having to put a titles up, using these as televised fights and jsut fill up the undercard.

He's right. The cards he showed are of many examples of how the UFC could make great cards without champ fights on them. If you think about it, title fights havnt been happening frequently and consistently in each division so this probrually will help make the champs defend their belts.
It should be a kick ass card. This is what is hope the card is
HW Lesnar v. Mir 2
LHW Evans v. Wanderlei
MW A SIlva v. Okami or Henderson 2
WW Peirre v. T. Silva (Best fight of the card)
LW Penn v. Florian

Holy crap, I still cant believe a card with 5 champs on it.
Pyrenus
12/2/08 1:27:40PM
A completely uninjured fighter is only subject to 30 days mandatory medical suspension after a fight, right?

That would mean that at most, we'd have 1 or 2 ppvs without a title on the line. Heck, they could do another free one or something to fill the gap.

What if they also did a Carano vs Cyborg fight at UFC 100 for the "new" women's title?
PaleHorse
12/2/08 1:31:15PM

Posted by manalito

Rampage vs Griffin 2
Shogun vs Franklin
Karo vs Fitch
Lytle vs Kapman
Pelligrino vs Lauzon

Mir vs Couture
Hughes vs Koscheck
Kang vs Swick
Huerta vs Griffin
Seark vs Edgar

Diego vs Alves
Guida vs Diaz
Velasquez vs Carwin
Mardquardt vs Lietes 2

Swick and Kang are in two different weight classes, same with Kampmann and Lytle, Frankie Edgar vs. Sean Sherk is so lopsided it isn't even funny, Sherk, a huge 155er vs Edgar, one of the smallest, Hughes Kos would be cool but I think they want Serra, the rest are all solid ideas.
MMAcca
12/2/08 1:33:14PM
Don't like this idea at all. Seems like one big gimmick to me

Putting all of the titles on the line just for one massive event doesn't make sense. I'm sure Dana will see it the same way too. Absolute waste of time imo and i hope it doesn't happen
Mayhem13
12/2/08 2:19:31PM

Posted by PaleHorse

Posted by manalito

Rampage vs Griffin 2
Shogun vs Franklin
Karo vs Fitch
Lytle vs Kapman
Pelligrino vs Lauzon

Mir vs Couture
Hughes vs Koscheck
Kang vs Swick
Huerta vs Griffin
Seark vs Edgar

Diego vs Alves
Guida vs Diaz
Velasquez vs Carwin
Mardquardt vs Lietes 2

Swick and Kang are in two different weight classes, same with Kampmann and Lytle, Frankie Edgar vs. Sean Sherk is so lopsided it isn't even funny, Sherk, a huge 155er vs Edgar, one of the smallest, Hughes Kos would be cool but I think they want Serra, the rest are all solid ideas.

Kampmann is at ww now so he could fight ltyle.

I think sherk would dominate Edgar if he wrestled him. But sherk has boxed his last couple opponents. And standing I think it would be pretty even.

The-Don
12/2/08 2:27:04PM

Posted by MMAcca

Putting all of the titles on the line just for one massive event doesn't make sense. I'm sure Dana will see it the same way too. Absolute waste of time imo and i hope it doesn't happen

YEs its a gimmick it would also garner ALOT of interest from casual fan to hardcore fans even critics will tune in for an event like this if it comes to pass. Try and deny that you would not want to watch it if it came to pass. A show like this would be a huge ratings draw and media frenzy. It would be like having game 7 final of the NHL, NBA and MLB all on the same day as the super bowl.. its just huge Boxing has never done something like this and really could not pull it off they are too fractured. The only way you chould top a show like this would be to invite the champs from other promotions to fight the UFC champ in sort of a We are the best of the best showdown Imagine who ever the UFC HW champ is fighting Fedor, and things like that.. Since that would be extremely difficult to work out this really is the best way to showcase the UFC. Those people sitting onthe fence about the "Whole MMA Thing" should be treated to some classic fights that may make many of the fence sitters and casual fans along with the main stream media sit up and take notice. A show like this could possibly get them in to venues like Madison Sq Garden if the legal blocks could be over come, The money a show like this could just overcome those blocks. . And if the UFC really wanted to cement them selves as THE MMA org and really make all others pretenders would be to get this on a Network TV deal for the world to see. So yes it is a Gimmick I am sure they are already aware of that.. but it is one that if pulled off could catapult the sport into main stream. So how does this not make sense? barring all the new champs being seriously injured, which while possible is unlikely the very next title defense could be as soon as a month or two out if that champ was ready to go.

for MMA this could be the biggest thing to happen since they got thier first offical santion to hold an event legally.

of course this is all my humble opinion but I think it make perfect sense for the 100th show. how else can you celebrate it? The only other thing I could think of is doa legends night and set up a bunnch of fights with the guys who helped the UFC through the early days, give them all one last moment in the sun while they could still put on a good show against each other for the fans. Imagine Ken Shamrock vs Bas Rutten again, Get Royce GRacie vs Pat Mieltich , Get Dan Severan back in the cage say vs Tank. there are enough of these guys still wanting to compete and against each otehr they would still be some good fights. Introduce the newer fans to the names that made the sport. True this might not be as exciting to some newer fans but I think the long time fans would love to see the guys who got the sport here to where it is through the dark days get one last moment of glory.. or heck do the Legends show for UFC 101 to give all the current stars a break and at UFC 102 you could already have a title defense ready by that time. .. OK enough from me I am getting long winded.
MMAcca
12/2/08 2:44:35PM

Posted by The-Don

Posted by MMAcca

YEs its a gimmick it would also garner ALOT of interest from casual fan to hardcore fans even critics will tune in for an event like this if it comes to pass. Try and deny that you would not want to watch it if it came to pass. A show like this would be a huge ratings draw and media frenzy. It would be like having game 7 final of the NHL, NBA and MLB all on the same day as the super bowl.. its just huge Boxing has never done something like this and really could not pull it off they are too fractured. The only way you chould top a show like this would be to invite the champs from other promotions to fight the UFC champ in sort of a We are the best of the best showdown Imagine who ever the UFC HW champ is fighting Fedor, and things like that.. Since that would be extremely difficult to work out this really is the best way to showcase the UFC. Those people sitting onthe fence about the "Whole MMA Thing" should be treated to some classic fights that may make many of the fence sitters and casual fans along with the main stream media sit up and take notice. A show like this could possibly get them in to venues like Madison Sq Garden if the legal blocks could be over come, The money a show like this could just overcome those blocks. . And if the UFC really wanted to cement them selves as THE MMA org and really make all others pretenders would be to get this on a Network TV deal for the world to see. So yes it is a Gimmick I am sure they are already aware of that.. but it is one that if pulled off could catapult the sport into main stream. So how does this not make sense? barring all the new champs being seriously injured, which while possible is unlikely the very next title defense could be as soon as a month or two out if that champ was ready to go.

for MMA this could be the biggest thing to happen since they got thier first offical santion to hold an event legally.

of course this is all my humble opinion but I think it make perfect sense for the 100th show. how else can you celebrate it? The only other thing I could think of is doa legends night and set up a bunnch of fights with the guys who helped the UFC through the early days, give them all one last moment in the sun while they could still put on a good show against each other for the fans. Imagine Ken Shamrock vs Bas Rutten again, Get Royce GRacie vs Pat Mieltich , Get Dan Severan back in the cage say vs Tank. there are enough of these guys still wanting to compete and against each otehr they would still be some good fights. Introduce the newer fans to the names that made the sport. True this might not be as exciting to some newer fans but I think the long time fans would love to see the guys who got the sport here to where it is through the dark days get one last moment of glory.. or heck do the Legends show for UFC 101 to give all the current stars a break and at UFC 102 you could already have a title defense ready by that time. .. OK enough from me I am getting long winded.

I didn't say i wouldn't want to watch it (i definately would) i said i don't like the idea.

Also, just because the titles are on the line why is that the best way to showcase MMA? Title fights don't = exciting fights....and neither is it like the NBA,NHL and MLB holding finals on the same day because they are totally different sports to the other.

The UFC can (and will) fill Madison Square Garden in 2009 with or without this massive gimmick of an event.

And why would it make so much more money than your average UFC event? It would probably end up making less if anything. Bigger name fights/fighters equals bigger fight purses. This would be without a doubt the UFC's biggest single event payout, thus denting PPV profits, gate profits, etc, etc more so than ever.

It doesn't make sense because of all of my above points and imo it will cause an adverse 'domino effect' on the quality of several of the next events.

The legends idea almost ranks as lowly as EXC signing Kimbo.......
iwannabesedated
12/2/08 2:48:41PM

Posted by Wolfenstein

I love the concept, but the one downside is that there wouldn't be any title fights in any other UFC cards for a while. If it is a night of champions, I'd be wiling to pony up some extra money if that were to be the case.

I was thinking the same thing...show all the fights and maybe bump the price to 60 bucks or something...Like you said you may not have any title fights for a few months..But maybe give us a few free UFN for free in the meantime.
mrsmiley
12/2/08 3:10:37PM
I say hell yes.
I mean that's a once in a life time chance.
manalito
12/2/08 4:57:11PM
my bad on the swick and Kang one, i figured Kang would be in the 170 division sooner rather than later. And Kapman is going down to welterweight!
manalito
12/2/08 4:58:24PM

Posted by Mayhem13

Posted by PaleHorse

Posted by manalito

Rampage vs Griffin 2
Shogun vs Franklin
Karo vs Fitch
Lytle vs Kapman
Pelligrino vs Lauzon

Mir vs Couture
Hughes vs Koscheck
Kang vs Swick
Huerta vs Griffin
Seark vs Edgar

Diego vs Alves
Guida vs Diaz
Velasquez vs Carwin
Mardquardt vs Lietes 2

Kampmann is at ww now so he could fight ltyle.

I think sherk would dominate Edgar if he wrestled him. But sherk has boxed his last couple opponents. And standing I think it would be pretty even.

Kampmann is going down to welterweight for UFC 93
manalito
12/2/08 5:00:34PM

Posted by PaleHorse

Posted by manalito

Rampage vs Griffin 2
Shogun vs Franklin
Karo vs Fitch
Lytle vs Kapman
Pelligrino vs Lauzon

Mir vs Couture
Hughes vs Koscheck
Kang vs Swick
Huerta vs Griffin
Seark vs Edgar

Diego vs Alves
Guida vs Diaz
Velasquez vs Carwin
Mardquardt vs Lietes 2

Kampmann is going down to welterweight! ANd as for Kang, i though he was coming in at 170.l I think we will se him at 170 sooner rather later.
Matimus
12/2/08 5:12:43PM

Posted by Wolfenstein

I agree, but with all the titles either defended, or lost, it would open up huge potential for some new #1 contender matches, which IMO are just as exciting, if not more exciting then championship matches.
gsquat
12/2/08 6:11:04PM
Wow. This would be something else if they could pull it off. Obviously it'd be the biggest card ever, and on my 26th birthday nonetheless!
RMFG_187
12/2/08 6:31:45PM
Lesnar vs Velasquez
Couture vs Nog
Rampage vs Forrest
Silva vs Maia or Marquart 2
GSP vs Alves
Penn vs KenFlo

Ridiculous
prozacnation1978
12/2/08 6:50:43PM
it won't happen
and if it does i sure as hell could not get 4th of july off to go
i think they should put top 2 contenders in each division fighting each other for title shots
that is more realistic
dannyfrank
12/2/08 7:28:40PM
if they can actually pull this off, i might actually order the ppv instead of just streaming it
bls1919
12/2/08 8:20:38PM
I dont think that with all of the great fighters currently in the UFC there would have to be all title fights. Just a bunch of top guys fighting each other would suffice. You could go through all the weight classes and make a bunch of " Superfights". i don't like that term but you know what i mean. i'l give my top pick in each weight. LW is NateDiaz vs Sean Sherk. Also Cain Velasquez vs Shane Carwin @ HW Big fight between two bright up and comers........Who also knock the shit out of anyone who stands there. WW Jon Fitch vs Thiago Alves II won't be the same fight. No way Fitch out strikes Alves now. Bisping Vs Silva. Fuirst title shot for Bisping....goes very bad for him. And the other title fight Lyoto Machida defending HIS belt against Wandy/Shogun.
The-Don
12/6/08 8:50:26PM

Posted by MMAcca

Posted by The-Don

Posted by MMAcca

I didn't say i wouldn't want to watch it (i definately would) i said i don't like the idea.

Also, just because the titles are on the line why is that the best way to showcase MMA? Title fights don't = exciting fights....and neither is it like the NBA,NHL and MLB holding finals on the same day because they are totally different sports to the other.

The UFC can (and will) fill Madison Square Garden in 2009 with or without this massive gimmick of an event.

And why would it make so much more money than your average UFC event? It would probably end up making less if anything. Bigger name fights/fighters equals bigger fight purses. This would be without a doubt the UFC's biggest single event payout, thus denting PPV profits, gate profits, etc, etc more so than ever.

It doesn't make sense because of all of my above points and imo it will cause an adverse 'domino effect' on the quality of several of the next events.

The legends idea almost ranks as lowly as EXC signing Kimbo.......

True title fights are not always the best fights. but this is not something that can be pulled off easily it would generate alot of buzz outside of normal MMA fans. and while yea I agree it will be a large pay out this will probably be one of the highest PPV events they held.. the casual fans love title fights.. a lot who may not normally pay for a PPV would buy this one. I myself usually try and find ways to watch PPV events for free even if it means watching it on a delay and already knowing who won. I'd work OT to make sure I could buy this one. And yea most of your points are valid but they IMO this could raise more money for the UFC in the long run because if the fights turn out to be decent or better alot of new fans who are getting it just because of the buzz will more then likely start tuning in for for future PPV's. so that brings in more money long term plus may get more main stream media coverage.

As for the quality of the next few events? Please.. the UFC is DEEP in several divison that can hold several great PPVs with having to have a title up for grabs. So that one argument I can not agree with.. the UFC just has too many fighters and too many fighters willing to fight for them.

As for the legends idea.. It may not make the most exciting card in history and yea may not be the best for UFC 100 but it does not make it a good idea.. they could even do it as a fight night or something.. it does not make it a bad idea.. a bad idea is having guys like Ken and Militech and Royce and such still trying to fight as if they have a chance. you may not like the idea. but others I have talked to like it.

We may not agree but well that's the beauty of this forum we can express our opinions.
EvenFlow
12/6/08 10:51:52PM

Posted by manalito

Rampage vs Griffin 2
Shogun vs Franklin
Karo vs Fitch
Lytle vs Kapman
Pelligrino vs Lauzon

Mir vs Couture
Hughes vs Koscheck
Kang vs Swick
Huerta vs Griffin
Seark vs Edgar

Diego vs Alves
Guida vs Diaz
Velasquez vs Carwin
Mardquardt vs Lietes 2

lol diego vs alves.. first of all that wouldnt even be very competitive imo, koscheck is a better and heavier version of diego and diego is moving to lightweight (good move) which is reason why this will not happen, and finally alves has earned his title shot and anyone who thinks he hasnt is out of there minds, i dont care if he has to wait a long time he has earned it hands down, nobody else in the division is more deserving, no arguments

the way dana's been talking about machida after he beats thiago silva he might contend for the belt with one more win maybe a fight with shogun after he beats coleman, also chuck's camp has already turned down a fight with machida

and wand is winning at 92 against page.....again so if you mean rampage griffin 2 without a belt i might agree, in fact i want that rematch a lot!!!!!
Pages: [1] 2