1,000 Recordings to Listen to Before You Die

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » 1,000 Recordings to Listen to Before You Die
AchillesHeel
11/14/08 1:18:20PM
I haven't read the book yet, but I've been looking at the website. You can view the albums by genre, which helps. The Rock section is still five pages long.

He clearly went to some effort to acknowledge as wide a selection of music as he could. I think he went a little overboard with The Beatles, and yet "Magical Mystery Tour" wasn't even one of his selections. He chose System of a Down's "Toxicity", which I thought was terribly inferior to their first album, and he also "Ritual de lo Habitual" instead of "Nothing's Shocking."

On the other hand, I was happy to see that he picked "Peter Gabriel (3)" and not the insipid "So", and "Led Zeppelin II" instead of "IV." I was thrilled to see him select Gang of Four's "Entertainment!", Ministry's "A Mind is a Terrible Thing to Taste", The Minutemen's "Double Nickels on the Dime", and Elliott Smith's "XO." And I love that he's man enough to choose Alanis Morissette's "Jagged Little Pill", Beth Orton's "Central Reservation", and Liz Phair's "Exile in Guyville."
AchillesHeel
11/14/08 1:25:39PM
His hip-hop list is pretty good, although I can't forgive the omission of "Fear of a Black Planet" and, as much fun as I had with it back in the day, I don't think "Sex Packets" belongs on this list. Again, he clearly made an effort to see the entirety of the genre, and all of its neighborhoods; "Three Feet High, and Rising" alongside "The Chronic" alongside "By All Means Necessary."

His lists seem to skew toward older music, generally speaking, but i think that makes a certain amount of sense for a collection like this. It's reasonable to think that the historical place of newer works isn't yet apparent.
AchillesHeel
11/14/08 1:34:44PM
His electronica list is seriously lacking. No Massive Attack, no Zero 7, no Tricky, no Crystal Method. He did pick Propellerheads though, so that's something.
Rush
11/14/08 2:25:01PM

Posted by AchillesHeel

His electronica list is seriously lacking. No Massive Attack, no Zero 7, no Tricky, no Crystal Method. He did pick Propellerheads though, so that's something.

Lacking is being generous IMO. He clearly has not had exposure to good Techno or Trance music. It looks like he just randomly pulled a bunch of CDs from a mid-size CD store from the "electronica" section. God how I hate that misleading umbrella term. It's almost as bad as "alternative"

Another piece of evidence that the list is incomplete is that Dead Can Dance is not listed even once.
AchillesHeel
11/14/08 2:41:15PM

Posted by Rush

Another piece of evidence that the list is incomplete is that Dead Can Dance is not listed even once.

They're not? Yikes. I hadn't looked at the whole list yet.
Rush
11/14/08 2:45:45PM

Posted by AchillesHeel

Posted by Rush

They're not? Yikes. I hadn't looked at the whole list yet.

I tried the search function and came up with nothing. So as long as it is working properly it's safe to say they are not listed.
iwannabesedated
11/14/08 2:48:11PM
Nice to see Bad Brains-I against I
Black Flag-Damaged
The Clash-London Calling

On the rock list.
MMAcca
11/15/08 3:31:31AM
The Clash = Greatest band of all time
haggiswashere
11/15/08 4:26:16AM

Posted by Rush
I tried the search function

that is my favorite unintentional joke of these forums ever!
Its nice to see you take your own advice and use the search function. you practice what you preach lol
warglory
11/15/08 3:11:44PM

Posted by MMAcca

The Clash = Most overrated band of all time

There ya go, fixed it for ya.
MMAcca
11/15/08 4:24:33PM

Posted by warglory

Posted by MMAcca

The Clash = Most overrated band of all time

There ya go, fixed it for ya.

Absolutely not. Shame on you
Pitbull09
11/15/08 7:58:48PM
He obviously has bias like person who listens to music. He picked four Bob Dylan albums. FOUR! Hes good but there is a lot of music to try to fit in there that I dont think any one band deserves four.

Also, he chose American idiot for Green Days album. Its good but it doesnt reflect much of any of their other albums which makes me feel like its wrong.

My favorite band is The White Stripes and he did pick my favorite album by them, Elephant.
Rush
11/15/08 9:59:58PM
The main problem with lists like these is that one person feels they should cover all genres. Sorry, but it's hard to just keep up with one genre in any great detail.

A good list, which covers all major genres of music should be compiled by people who are well versed in their particular one or two genres. What I think would be ideal is 3 people per genre. Each pick 20 singles. Any picks that overlap between the three people get a higher ranking.
The_Metal_Maniac
11/16/08 2:55:48AM
Lists like this are ridiculous. They will always manage to upset someone. In general compiled lists such as this are asking for arguments. Music in general is an opinionated subject. Which makes this list ridiculous lol. On the other hand Appetite for Destruction made it, so that works for me.
roadking95th
11/16/08 11:34:13PM
No RHCP?!?!
No Bluegrass
coldchillin
11/18/08 4:08:19AM
The Hip-Hop list isn't extensive at all if you ask me. Very basic if that.