45-year-old Holyfield, Valuev close in on agreement on world title match

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » 45-year-old Holyfield, Valuev close in on agreement on world title match
CantAndleDaRiddum
10/9/08 2:25:37AM
Link

he fought ibragimov for a title & got ruled in his last fight. now he gets another shot? someone needs to save this man from sure death in the ring if he keeps trying these comebacks. i know he lost his house recently & respect the hell out of him for not giving up & trying to make some $, but cant he just invent a grill or something?
i hate to see former great fighters get the shit kicked out of them just for one mroe pay day
JoeySteel
10/9/08 3:17:17AM
I heard De La Hoya gets the winner. Then he is flying a one man space shuttle to Mars. Gary Shaw is trying to get on board, but the health restrictions are killing him.
postman
10/9/08 10:56:26AM
How is it that these Boxers make Millions of dollars and in the end have nothing? I Know ppl say it was the ppl around Tyson who did it to him but I don't buy it. Its your money and life in the end you need to figure it out for yourself. Short of a finacial advisor ripping you off and fleeing the counrty there is no excuse for it.
Shawn91111
10/9/08 11:32:35AM

Posted by postman

How is it that these Boxers make Millions of dollars and in the end have nothing? I Know ppl say it was the ppl around Tyson who did it to him but I don't buy it. Its your money and life in the end you need to figure it out for yourself. Short of a finacial advisor ripping you off and fleeing the counrty there is no excuse for it.

You'd be surprised. Look at how many lottery winners end up bankrupt. The number is surprising.
CantAndleDaRiddum
10/9/08 12:03:31PM

Posted by postman

u should look into how big holyfields house is.

i dont know the #s, but i do know he has a bowling alley

edit:

The former heavyweight champion appears to be in serious financial trouble. His palatial estate in Fayette County is under foreclosure, according to a legal notice that appeared in a local newspaper, and is set to be auctioned by Washington Mutual Bank on July 1. The home is worth an estimated $10 million. The home boasts 104 rooms, 54,000 sq ft and sits on 235 acres just southwest of Atlanta.

Also, the mother of Evander Holyfield's 10-year-old son -- one of 11 children he's fathered -- says the boxing icon has missed two child-support payments, filing a petition for contempt in the Fayette County Superior Court. Back pay is just around $6100.

Link
CantAndleDaRiddum
10/9/08 12:07:37PM
JohnnyNapalm
10/9/08 12:20:40PM
I've been a fan of Evander's since he was waging war as a Cruiser Weight.

One of my favourite fights of his was in a losing effort to Bowe in their third classic fight. Seems odd to say but it showed how gutsy he was. Holy said to be the champ you have to beat the champ and that a title should change hands by KO only. Against the younger and bigger former champ Bowe he just about got that KO - showed that he was 100% warrior and willing to go out on his sword to prove it.

But in last few years? Aw man, it's been painful. But I would imagine it's hard to quit doing that which has made him who he is. He, like many people, probably identifies himself entirely by his chosen profession and would rather get beaten into oblivion than sit in a rocking chair becoming a relic of the past.

He wants to keep fighting? Fine. But I'm not interested in watching that train wreck happen.

postman
10/9/08 1:10:05PM

Posted by Shawn91111

Posted by postman

You'd be surprised. Look at how many lottery winners end up bankrupt. The number is surprising.

Oh I know ppl are a$$ holes thats all there is to it. I know a guy who won 1 million dollars all he did was put it in the bank kept working and living his life the way he was and retired like 5 years later off the intrest. (Granted the guy was not in a pile of debt and made good money as it was but he never once changed.
Cdellorso
10/9/08 1:45:31PM
People buy what they dont need- live like money grows on trees- people tend to spen in accordance of what they make- i had a great job making 6 figures and spent way more than i saved- now im wishing i had made better choices- look at that house... i know he ha 11 kids but they dont all live there... its a dirty sport but i guarentee he had plenty of loot even after the don kings and sheisters took they undeserved cut. WAKE UP AMERICA!!!
SpiderSilva
10/9/08 8:42:13PM

Posted by CantAndleDaRiddum

holy crap Im now broke cause I just saw this pick of his house

WTF why????

you know most athletes go broke its like 60% do cause they don't know how to spend money or more like what to do with it remembe most had nothing also the damn greety friends that hang around
CantAndleDaRiddum
10/10/08 3:44:53AM
yeah i heard scottie pippen was going bankrupt.....i mean he was w/ mj for every ring & he has no $??? wtf!

also heard of joe montana having financial trouble, latrell sprewell, & a few others i cant remember right now. the # of nba players who go broke after their career is astonishing. football is pretty bad, but i swear i heard once it was like over 40% or some shit.
cowcatcher
10/10/08 9:48:19AM
sprewell has been cruising around downtown milwaukee for 2 years now trying to get free drinks and pick up 21 year old girls. i know his aunt and she has nothing nice to say about him and neither do i after seeing what a douche he is at different bars. how does a former nba star beg a bartender for free drinks???? its ridiculous.

back on topic, evander is already so mentally screwed up that any fight he takes from here on out is not only career threatening, but truly and honestly life threatening. sad and scary to say the least.
DCRage
10/10/08 10:21:11AM
Holyfield is still a bit of a draw, but now for the wrong reasons-namely because he's forever linked to the "fight with bite" (Tyson ear-biting). Much like George Foreman was in his later years-a former champion who felt he could still fight and earn a big payday.
CantAndleDaRiddum
10/10/08 1:29:00PM

Posted by DCRage

Holyfield is still a bit of a draw, but now for the wrong reasons-namely because he's forever linked to the "fight with bite" (Tyson ear-biting). Much like George Foreman was in his later years-a former champion who felt he could still fight and earn a big payday.

the difference, imo, is that holyfield wont be Koing guys.
the latter day Foreman could get the late round KOs even at 40 something that evander wont be able to get
MMAcca
10/10/08 2:02:48PM
Holyfield needs to retire asap, because otherwise he could end up dieing in the ring
Rush
10/10/08 5:05:08PM
The reason why a lot of these people go broke despite making millions is poor money management.

The thing that a lot of people forget is that when you buy a big house, yacht, expensive cars, etc. your upkeep increases dramatically. For example, you own a yacht, the vessel itself might cost a few million (I'm just pulling a number out of my ass), however, you need to pay for a crew to maintain it and you need to pay for it to be docked, fuel, etc. In a lot of cases, the cost are huge even if they only use it a few times a year. It's probably more affordable to rent one. I mean, if you just won a few fights and had 50 million in the bank, you're probably not thinking about going broke or budgeting your money.

Similarly with people that win the lottery. They think that a few million dollars is enough to sustain them when they are not working. Well, in cases where people increase their lifestyle cost, money in the back goes down faster than they think. I mean, say a person is living on 50 grand a year and they win the lottery and get 1 million in the bank. Theoretically, that is about 20 years worth of salary not taking into account inflation. That's pretty good if you are a person older than 50 years old. However, lets say that person goes out, buys a 200 grand home, a new car worth 50 000 (these are modest purchases), they suddenly take off 5 years from that financial cushion and that doesn't even factor in the increase in cost of living from their new home and car.

All in all, I think it's the upkeep that kills these people and the don't realize it until it's too late.