Something I've Always Wondered About Joe Rogan

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Something I've Always Wondered About Joe Rogan
BlueSkiesBurn
7/6/10 12:07:22AM
Why doesn't the UFC let this guy go during their events? Rogan is one of the funniest dudes ever and they curb him. I get that it's two different things, calling fights and comedy, but they could integrate some of his comedy during commentating. He could easily be the Harry Doyle of MMA. I mean, it's PPV anyhow so it's perfectly kosher for him to say some off-the-wall stuff. Just seeing what everyone else thinks.
jae_1833
7/6/10 12:20:09AM
I like that idea so long as it didn't go too far, and I'm sure he'd be a good judge of that....I also think they should just go ahead and let him cuss, it is PPV like you said.
BlueSkiesBurn
7/6/10 12:21:22AM
Even thinking about Rogan pulling a Ueker in MMA has me laughing. How great would some of those lines have been for some of the fights

Joe Rogan: Goldberg, anything to add?
Goldberg: Ummm... no.
Joe Rogan: He's not the best colorman in MMA for nothing, folks!

After the Herring-Lesnar judges decision:

Joe Rogan: Personally, I think Herring got hosed on that call.

After the Diego Sanchez-B.J. Penn fight:

Joe Rogan: 8 hits?! That's all Sanchez landed, eight goddamn hits?
Goldberg: You can't say goddamn on the air.
Joe Rogan: Don't worry, nobody was watching after round 3 anyway.
grappler0000
7/6/10 12:22:10AM
I think he actually does say off the wall stuff...for being a commentator anyway. I like the fact that it's not forced though. Given the right opportunity, he really says some funny things.
BlueSkiesBurn
7/6/10 12:23:30AM

Posted by jae_1833

I like that idea so long as it didn't go too far, and I'm sure he'd be a good judge of that....I also think they should just go ahead and let him cuss, it is PPV like you said.

Think of how great it would have been during moments like when Gonzaga kicked Cro Cops head off if Rogan had been able to say....

"WOW, THAT WAS F*CKING INSANE"
BlueSkiesBurn
7/6/10 12:24:57AM

Posted by grappler0000

I think he actually does say off the wall stuff...for being a commentator anyway. I like the fact that it's not forced though. Given the right opportunity, he really says some funny things.

I realize this, but you and I both know he can do WAY better. Like Jae said, go ahead and let him swear...
postman
7/6/10 7:23:54AM
Think Dennis Miller. I mentioned this in another thread....I was watching the Joe Rogan podcast the other day and he started the show talking about how great the Fleshlight is. Granted very funny and informative but maybe not what I see as the perfect thing for one of the faces of mma to be talking about. Or how about when "The Voice" Screams in the middle of a fight oh hes taking more shots to the face then Jenna Haze in a Bukkaie video. Funny but maybe not what we need to hear in the middle of a fight.
emfleek
7/6/10 8:53:24AM

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

I realize this, but you and I both know he can do WAY better. Like Jae said, go ahead and let him swear...

I disagree. It's highly unprofessional.

I'm sure not too many parents would be happy if their children were watching and Rogan was dropping the F bomb frequently like he tends to do.

I was actually quite displeased with Carwin after the fight the other night when he dropped the F bomb a couple times.

Even though it may not offend you, me or the guy next to me, there's a chance that it did offend someone and lots of people don't want to hear the sailor talk and they don't want their children exposed to it while watching a professional sporting event.
emfleek
7/6/10 8:54:07AM

Posted by postman

Think Dennis Miller. I mentioned this in another thread....I was watching the Joe Rogan podcast the other day and he started the show talking about how great the Fleshlight is. Granted very funny and informative but maybe not what I see as the perfect thing for one of the faces of mma to be talking about. Or how about when "The Voice" Screams in the middle of a fight oh hes taking more shots to the face then Jenna Haze in a Bukkaie video. Funny but maybe not what we need to hear in the middle of a fight.

I cringe at the thought of Dennis Miller's "comedy"...

Posted by grappler0000

I agree whole-heartedly. I sure as hell wouldn't want a David Letterman-type personality commentating on something I watch so frequently.
BlueSkiesBurn
7/6/10 9:18:52AM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

I'm sure not too many parents would be happy if their children were watching and Rogan was dropping the F bomb frequently like he tends to do.

I was actually quite displeased with Carwin after the fight the other night when he dropped the F bomb a couple times.

Even though it may not offend you, me or the guy next to me, there's a chance that it did offend someone and lots of people don't want to hear the sailor talk and they don't want their children exposed to it while watching a professional sporting event.

This is the same organization we're talking about, right? Dana White uses the F bomb likes it's not going to be around any longer if he doesn't keep using it. If these same parents haven't stopped their children from watching UFC because of Dana's comments and TUF, I doubt Rogan's occasional swearing would be the straw that breaks the camel's back.

Any parent properly doing their job of knowing what their children are watching would already know about Dana's notoriously foul mouth. I doubt this would have the impact you're predicting. If the parent doesn't care enough to research what their children are watching or knows and doesn't mind the present product, I don't think this will put them over the edge.
postman
7/6/10 9:44:27AM

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Posted by emfleek

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

This is the same organization we're talking about, right? Dana White uses the F bomb likes it's not going to be around any longer if he doesn't keep using it. If these same parents haven't stopped their children from watching UFC because of Dana's comments and TUF, I doubt Rogan's occasional swearing would be the straw that breaks the camel's back.

Any parent properly doing their job of knowing what their children are watching would already know about Dana's notoriously foul mouth. I doubt this would have the impact you're predicting. If the parent doesn't care enough to research what their children are watching or knows and doesn't mind the present product, I don't think this will put them over the edge.

I feel like Dana has backed off but I could be wrong.
emfleek
7/6/10 9:45:19AM

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

I've never once heard Dana White drop an F bomb at a televised event. On the internet, yes. However, you and I (internet MMA nerds) are in the minority. We see things that most fans don't.

On TUF, it's bleeped out.

The sport itself is begging for acceptance as is. People cried about Lesnar wanting to go home and "climb on top" of his wife...you don't think think there would be a fuss if Rogan is telling raunchy jokes when he should be educating the uneducated with his commentary? If we want the sport to be legit and respected, foul mouthed commentary isn't the way to go.

I have no problem with the way Rogan is now. I just don't think there's a need for any more of his comedy routine while he's supposed to be talking MMA.
grappler0000
7/6/10 10:34:49AM

Posted by postman

His podcast has been sponsored by the fleshlight for several weeks now...and what's funny is he's actually contractually obligated to talk about the fleshlight at the beginning and end of each podcast
FlashyG
7/6/10 12:21:09PM
He talks about his fleshlight on his website as well ( easily the strangest place on the internet outside of 4chan)

I think Rogan does a good job of incorporating his comedy into the UFC and vice versa, I don't think I'd want to see him blend them anymore than he already does.

I for one will never forget when he coined the phrase "Rape Choke" or him losing it on the cornerman who split open the ice bag.
grappler0000
7/6/10 2:45:44PM
Yes, the ice incident was one of my favorites. And although the goat's vagina comment was a little dicey, it was pretty damn funny at the time as well.
postman
7/6/10 4:24:13PM

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by postman

His podcast has been sponsored by the fleshlight for several weeks now...and what's funny is he's actually contractually obligated to talk about the fleshlight at the beginning and end of each podcast

Maybe not the best sponser.
BeeR
7/6/10 5:17:45PM
Parents shouldnt let their young children watch the UFC so late at night anyway, especially when DW is on camera
BlueSkiesBurn
7/6/10 6:35:34PM

Posted by emfleek

I've never once heard Dana White drop an F bomb at a televised event. On the internet, yes. However, you and I (internet MMA nerds) are in the minority. We see things that most fans don't.

The sport itself is begging for acceptance as is. People cried about Lesnar wanting to go home and "climb on top" of his wife...you don't think think there would be a fuss if Rogan is telling raunchy jokes when he should be educating the uneducated with his commentary? If we want the sport to be legit and respected, foul mouthed commentary isn't the way to go.

I have no problem with the way Rogan is now. I just don't think there's a need for any more of his comedy routine while he's supposed to be talking MMA.

Dana doesn't generally speak during their events but as soon as it's over he lets the swear words fly. I mean, I get that it's bleeped out on TUF, I'm sure that has EVERYTHING to do with FCC guidelines and less to do with the fact that Dana cares so much he has it bleeped out. That's not really a fair comparison. You CAN'T swear on cable TV.
emfleek
7/6/10 6:46:23PM

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Dana doesn't generally speak during their events but as soon as it's over he lets the swear words fly.

And that's the way it should be. There's no need to dumb the sport down with pointless profanity.
jae_1833
7/7/10 1:04:28AM
The more you all post Rogan's funny comments the more i love him...goats vag, ice bag, bukakke vid....priceless....I hear the whole parents acceptance thing with kids and all, but my kids know better and I think that maybe I am just cursed with good parenting skills. My kids (and all) should in this modern era know the difference between TV and real life rules.
BlueSkiesBurn
7/7/10 1:06:51AM

Posted by jae_1833

The more you all post Rogan's funny comments the more i love him...goats vag, ice bag, bukakke vid....priceless....I hear the whole parents acceptance thing with kids and all, but my kids know better and I think that maybe I am just cursed with good parenting skills. My kids (and all) should in this modern era know the difference between TV and real life rules.

If you're cursing, it's not good parenting, Jae I keed, I keed
bjj1605
7/7/10 1:44:35AM
I think Joe is funny enough as it is. I agree with Fleek on this one. Why add swear words? Does that make him funnier?

I for one don't like when comedians swear every other word. I think if you're truly funny you can let your wit do the work. Joe Rogan has enough wit and spontaneity to carry him with out the F'bomb.

For guys like us, if you want that, go watch his blogs or his stand up.
BustedKnuckle
7/10/10 9:17:01PM
I actually like that fact that Joe takes MMA seriously enough to leave out the comedy stuff. He is FUNNY AS HELL the way he is, just being Joe. His back and forth/contradicting with Goldie being a retard is funny enough. I feel that if the UFC would let him go off, it would dilute the comentary. Just my 2 cents
Focker101
8/18/10 12:21:09PM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Emfleek I could not agree with this post more, He has a job to do while commentating and standup is just not part of it

Remember when Tyson told the guy I am going to **** you till you love me
I found it funny but it was totally uncalled for and it caused a lot of issues for boxing and Tyson

as for Dana backing off his usual vocabulary, I would bet it had a lot to do with the whole Loretta Hunt episode , now imagine if you took the leash of Rogan and let him say anything.
How many of his comments could be taken out of context and enrage political groups all over the country...

I think the lack of standup from Joe is not accidental I believe it is a well thought out plan
zephead
8/23/10 5:20:14PM
He was on Fighting Words on HDNet and is was the worst interview I have ever seen. Cussing just for the sake of cussing brings nothing to the table and that's what Joe was doing. Straka asked him about Fedor and Joe's reply, "He's a f***king beast. He f***king destroys people. He f***king goes and goes and goes. A f***king beast I tell ya."

My favorite by him is "HE'S GOT IT IN DEEP." Then the guy escapes. I wish they would get rid of him and Goldy, you know the guy that looks at Joe with just pure love in his eyes. Down my way there is nobody that likes either of those two
emfleek
8/24/10 8:41:32AM
I love Rogan both as a commentator and a comedian, personally. I also believe (as illustrated in this thread) that commentating and comedy should be done seperately.