UFC-WEC Merger: Your opinion?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » UFC-WEC Merger: Your opinion?
FireballKid
10/30/10 12:48:26AM
I honestly don't have an answer. I have mixed feelings. It's great that we now have a new featherweight division along with Jose still champion. But fighters like Anthony Pettis have lost their chance and now, have to wait in line for a title shot. I don't know.. what's your opinion?
bojangalz
10/30/10 2:28:01AM
Sorry. I fail to see the problem here. It's better exposure and a lot more money for the little guys. They're going to steal most of the FOTN bonuses and are going to see those bonuses jump from around $10K to around $70K. They are going to get a ton more in merch and indorsement deals too.

We're going to get Jose Aldo in the next UFC video game (who can be unhappy with that!). Garbage cards like the upcoming UFC 122 will be an extremely rare.

Will there be some guys who get knocked down a peg or two in the 155 pecking order? Sure. But you've got to ask yourself- "If I were a fighter at 155 pounds, would I rather be second fiddle in a sister promotion with the chance at a clearly inferior belt around my waste or a few fights away from the most prestigious 155 pound belt in the sport?"

It's a no brainer.

In the end I'll be sad to see the WEC go because their cards were so consistanly amazing that you always knew you were in for a stellar show every time they were on TV. Just think, 10 years from now when a whole new crop of MMA fans have entered the fold we'll be able to speak fondly of the "WEC days" and smile.
postman
10/30/10 9:48:10AM
Pettis was just fast tracked to the UFC belt. If he beats Ben he is next in line. All I have to say about the Merger is

thanks Bo
BlueSkiesBurn
10/30/10 1:11:27PM
The only thing that I'm upset about is the amount of free fights that are going to be taken from us now. Other than that, this is nothing but a good thing.
sparky
10/30/10 3:15:49PM
I love it
Styles
10/30/10 4:33:28PM
After reading what everyone has to say about the merger, I am quite surprised that no one has mentioned "TUF". This is something I look forward to the most. I am a huge fan of the smaller, scrappier guys go to war. I am also looking forward to some of the 155'ers drop down to 145 and vice versa. This merger is really gonna move people around in the weight classes. IMO, this is better then the PRIDE buy-out.
TimW001
10/30/10 4:42:47PM
I am very happy about it. It's well overdue.
DCRage
10/30/10 6:35:39PM
In the middle. Certainly good for guys like Aldo, Faber & Torres as they finally get some big paydays, and it does mean MORE free fights (remember there will now be 4 UFC On Versus events instead of 2), but it likely means some guys still don't get as many fights as they like.
cowcatcher
10/30/10 7:26:04PM

Posted by DCRage

In the middle. Certainly good for guys like Aldo, Faber & Torres as they finally get some big paydays, and it does mean MORE free fights (remember there will now be 4 UFC On Versus events instead of 2), but it likely means some guys still don't get as many fights as they like.

there will be 4 ufc's on vs instead of 2 but no wec events, that adds up to less free fights by my math.