I can't WAIT for college football

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » I can't WAIT for college football
Next Page »
prophecy033
6/13/12 2:59:05PM
So, this is the first day of my vacation so i decided to buy some beer(a lot actually) and wait for my buddy to roll over after work. So i'm flipping through the stations and what do i find....The 2012 Rose Bowl between Oregon and Wisconsin on ESPNU. That was me when i found it. Great game and the best part is the DUCKS won the game....finally winning a big game in the Chip Kelly Era.

So it has me impatiently waiting for the start of the college football season

As you were
Poor_Franklin
6/13/12 3:18:50PM
ditto. I'm a Mississippi State fan & although we are in the SEC West w/ LSU, Bama & Arkansas, I still have other games to look forward to.
Kpro
6/13/12 3:22:00PM
In their first 6 games my Huskies play the preseason #1 & #2 teams in the country LSU/USC and @Oregon. I doubt any team in the nation has a harder SOS for the first 6 games, not sure about for the entire year, so possibly the best I can hope for is a 3-3 start.
Ordep
6/13/12 3:45:36PM
As a Georgia fan I look forward for the season to have fun, but I don't expect the eternal under achievers to win or at least meet expectations.

With their really low SOS a lot of people have them going to Miami vs USC assuming the veteran offense clicks and the D keeps going like last year. I believe it when I see it.
Poor_Franklin
6/13/12 4:01:15PM

Posted by Ordep

As a Georgia fan I look forward for the season to have fun, but I don't expect the eternal under achievers to win or at least meet expectations.

With their really low SOS a lot of people have them going to Miami vs USC assuming the veteran offense clicks and the D keeps going like last year. I believe it when I see it.

i expect big things out of your dogs the next couple of seasons. please beat bama every chance you get.
Shawn91111
6/13/12 4:29:07PM
Syracuse will be great again.......come basketball season
Bubbles
6/13/12 6:46:12PM
Rudy will win the Heisman this year
BlueSkiesBurn
6/13/12 8:10:25PM
LOL at every single one of you fuckers. Especially the Pac-12 fans.

Just to let you know, USC is here for the Pac-12 gangbang. Thanks for holding down the top spot Oregon, but daddy is back.
Kpro
6/13/12 8:18:01PM

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Just to let you know, USC is here for the Pac-12 gangbang. Thanks for holding down the top spot Oregon, but daddy is back.

I'm not sure the type of Pac 12 fan you are but once the conference games are over I personally root for every Pac 12 team in bowl games. You?
BlueSkiesBurn
6/13/12 8:24:06PM

Posted by Kpro

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

I'm not sure the type of Pac 12 fan you are but once the conference games are over I personally root for every Pac 12 team in bowl games. You?

It depends on the team. I'm not one of those people that worships the conference. Most fans of blue blood programs don't. It's cool and you usually end up rooting for your conference,but I was rooting for Oklahoma State in the Fiesta Bowl. I loved Blackmon and Weeden. Mike Gundy has always been one of my favorite coaches and I thought Oklahoma State deserved to be in the title game.
Kpro
6/13/12 8:35:44PM

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

It depends on the team. I'm not one of those people that worships the conference. Most fans of blue blood programs don't. It's cool and you usually end up rooting for your conference,but I was rooting for Oklahoma State in the Fiesta Bowl. I loved Blackmon and Weeden. Mike Gundy has always been one of my favorite coaches and I thought Oklahoma State deserved to be in the title game.

If I was a USC fan I'd root for them even more in bowl games with their already being an east coast bias. USC finishing #2 or #3 for a chance to play in the championship game can come down to SOS with the way the voters generally slant so I'd want my conference to be winning all out of conference games. Once there's a playoff system between the top 4, SOS could determine whether USC is #4 and in or #5 and out of a chance at a national championship. Just my opinion if I were a fan of a blue blood program.
BlueSkiesBurn
6/13/12 8:51:27PM

Posted by Kpro

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

If I was a USC fan I'd root for them even more in bowl games with their already being an east coast bias. USC finishing #2 or #3 for a chance to play in the championship game can come down to SOS with the way the voters generally slant so I'd want my conference to be winning all out of conference games. Once there's a playoff system between the top 4, SOS could determine whether USC is #4 and in or #5 and out of a chance at a national championship. Just my opinion if I were a fan of a blue blood program.

So, my rooting for them changes the bias? Not at all. You see, I already know that the writers don't stay to to even watch Pac-12 games. Me rooting won't change that. They have even admitted they don't stay up that late unless it's a MAJOR game.

East coast bias will exist no matter what. Who I root for won't change that.
Kpro
6/13/12 8:53:03PM
I was referring to the computer portion of the rankings that factors in SOS, I have no doubts the bias will exist regardless of out of conference wins among writers.
BlueSkiesBurn
6/13/12 8:57:35PM

Posted by Kpro

I was referring to the computer portion of the rankings that factors in SOS, I have no doubts the bias will exist regardless of out of conference wins among writers.

Still not following how that's impacted by how I root for a team? Also, you do realize that the computer poll is comprised of those biased voters and coaches who admit that they don't watch games, right? That's who I was talking about.

Coaches don't watch the games period. Their secretaries fill out their polls. Writers that vote in the AP have admitted they don't watch Pac-12 games because of the time difference.
BlueSkiesBurn
6/13/12 8:58:39PM

Posted by Kpro

Also, Strength of Schedule is not included in the computer poll anymore. That was removed like 5 years ago.
Kpro
6/13/12 9:03:33PM
Yes it's comprised mainly by the voters, what I'm talking about has nothing to do with the voters. SOS factors into the rankings in the computer portion of the rankings and in close rankings can be very important. I'm not saying you should change the way you root obviously or that it's wrong and i'm not sure why we keep coming back to writers because it has nothing to do with the human portion of the rankings. Maybe 5-10 years from now with a 4 team playoff system in place, when USC comes in 5th with 1 loss and Alabama comes in 4th with 2 losses by the slimmest of margins that can be attributed to SOS and the way the conference performs against non-conference teams, you'll understand my point.
BlueSkiesBurn
6/13/12 9:07:46PM

Posted by Kpro

Yes it's comprised mainly by the voters, what I'm talking about has nothing to do with the voters. SOS factors into the rankings in the computer portion of the rankings and in close rankings can be very important. I'm not saying you should change the way you root obviously or that it's wrong and i'm not sure why we keep coming back to writers because it has nothing to do with the human portion of the rankings. Maybe 5-10 years from now with a 4 team playoff system in place, when USC comes in 5th with 1 loss and Alabama comes in 4th with 2 losses by the slimmest of margins that can be attributed to SOS and the way the conference performs against non-conference teams, you'll understand my point.

I understand your point now. SOS is not part of the computer rankings.
Kpro
6/13/12 9:20:46PM

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Posted by Kpro

I understand your point now. SOS is not part of the computer rankings.

I was wondering why we weren't connecting but that is incorrect. SOS is used in various ways mathematically in multiple variations of the different computer ranking systems used to make up the BCS rankings. I can link you directly to a few of the computer rankings listing what they use to make up their rankings if you'd like.
prophecy033
6/13/12 9:48:05PM

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Your funny

you know aswell as i do that you have no idea how the seasons gonnaturn out so lets just cut the shit and both hope our teams play well
BlueSkiesBurn
6/13/12 10:16:38PM

Posted by Kpro

I was wondering why we weren't connecting but that is incorrect. SOS is used in various ways mathematically in multiple variations of the different computer ranking systems used to make up the BCS rankings. I can link you directly to a few of the computer rankings listing what they use to make up their rankings if you'd like.

Let's try this again: SOS is NOT used in the BCS formula. It was removed in 2004. That said, various computer rankings used IN the BCS--the Harris, Sagarin, etc...--use it but each one applies it differently. Some are forgiving, some are not. SOS as a direct BCS component was removed in 2004.
Kpro
6/13/12 10:48:34PM

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Posted by Kpro

Let's try this again: SOS is NOT used in the BCS formula. It was removed in 2004. That said, various computer rankings used IN the BCS--the Harris, Sagarin, etc...--use it but each one applies it differently. Some are forgiving, some are not. SOS as a direct BCS component was removed in 2004.

Yes, it is not used directly in the BCS formula as a write-in vote is. It impacts the BCS formula because it is used in the rankings used in the BCS formula.

If I'm eating Frosted Flakes, sure I'm not directly spooning sugar into my mouth, but sugar is an ingredient in my Frosted Flakes. That to me and anyone I know is using SOS in the BCS rankings, but if you don't feel it is then it's your prerogative.

I'm not even sure what you're trying to refute at this point or if you are, but hopefully the Frosted Flakes analogy gets the point across. SOS is absolutely enough to make the difference between #2 and #3 or #4 and #5 without question. I assume I got the point across now as to why if I was a USC fan I'd root for all conference teams to win their bowl games. To me, it's a simple reason. I wouldn't have hypothetically become a USC fan if I knew the reasons why were so hard to understand.
BlueSkiesBurn
6/13/12 10:51:10PM

Posted by Kpro

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Posted by Kpro

Yes, it is not used directly in the BCS formula as a write-in vote is. It impacts the BCS formula because it is used in the rankings used in the BCS formula.

If I'm eating Frosted Flakes, sure I'm not directly spooning sugar into my mouth, but sugar is an ingredient in my Frosted Flakes. That to me and anyone I know is using SOS in the BCS rankings, but if you don't feel it is then it's your prerogative.

I'm not even sure what you're trying to refute at this point or if you are, but hopefully the Frosted Flakes analogy gets the point across. SOS is absolutely enough to make the difference between #2 and #3 or #4 and #5 without question. I assume I got the point across now as to why if I was a USC fan I'd root for all conference teams to win their bowl games. To me, it's a simple reason. I wouldn't have hypothetically become a USC fan if I knew the reasons why were so hard to understand.

Dude, bowls are all announced at once. This is no different from how the playoff will work. They will announce those that made it and didn't at the same time. Them winning their bowl has ZERO impact on anything because ours will have already been announced.
BlueSkiesBurn
6/13/12 10:53:13PM
That's basically like saying I should root for North Carolina during March Madness because they're ACC (I'm a Duke guy). We are already in, I hope those fuckers lose as fast as possible.
Kpro
6/13/12 10:53:37PM
I'll repost this from earlier:

"Maybe 5-10 years from now with a 4 team playoff system in place, when USC comes in 5th with 1 loss and Alabama comes in 4th with 2 losses by the slimmest of margins that can be attributed to SOS and the way the conference performs against non-conference teams, you'll understand my point."

Non-conference games happen throughout the season and before the final rankings. How the teams do in those affects USC's SOS which affects the rankings used that are part of the BCS formula. It's all right there in one sentence.
Kpro
6/13/12 10:55:12PM

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

That's basically like saying I should root for North Carolina during March Madness because they're ACC (I'm a Duke guy). We are already in, I hope those fuckers lose as fast as possible.

If there were a 64+ team tourney for football then of course the reasons why don't apply. Way off base on the comparison.
Kpro
6/13/12 10:57:40PM
I'm going to have to direct you back to re-read posts now as I've clearly said more than enough. I've clearly stated the reasons why I'd root for my conference if I was hypothetically a fan of USC. I'm not sure why you want to make a hypothetical situation as to the way *I'd* root into a debate.
BlueSkiesBurn
6/13/12 10:57:56PM
I get what you're saying, Kyle. You're positing a hypothetical scenario and you're saying that I'll understand it when/if it happens. I get your point.

In case you've forgotten, USC HAS been a victim of this. 2003 LSU got to play Oklahoma instead of us.
Ordep
6/13/12 10:57:57PM
The only good thing in the Pac-12 are the Oregon cheerleaders.
Kpro
6/13/12 11:01:03PM
and in 90 UW had to share a national title with Miami so I've been through it too. It happens to west coast teams. I was trying to explain a simple reasoning I thought would take one post. Anyways, I never said you should root differently, I said hypothetically that I would, and I would. There's no sense continuing this, we get what each other is saying and I don't even know why we're still talking about it.

And no I won't av bet on USC vs. UW.
BlueSkiesBurn
6/13/12 11:07:43PM
Haha, I'm not AV betting. Yeah, the 90 deal with UW was raw for sure. I hate when shit like that happens. It's like the AYSO trophies.
Pages: [1] 2