What's Your Vote as Biggest UFC Upset So Far This Year?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » What's Your Vote as Biggest UFC Upset So Far This Year?
OctagonOnly_com
7/20/12 5:17:08AM
There hasn't been two many of them so far this year, but my pick so far has to be Jamie Varner beating Edson Barboza.

It's not so much that Varner won, which was surprising to me, but the fact that he did it on the feet, and after he came in on short notice.
jakewalters
7/20/12 5:55:14AM
Welcome to the PG man

Varner over Barboza was pretty big but I'd give my upset of the year to Tim Boetch coming back and beating Yushin Okami. Not only a comeback but a huge upset as well. Lamas over Hioki and Yagin over Hominick were pretty notable too.
hotrodttt
7/20/12 6:02:46AM
Gotta go with Boetch over Okami, given the circumstance that Okami was dominating that fight
Kpro
7/20/12 7:23:25AM
An upset to me is my thoughts pre-fight, a comeback I factor in if they were getting worked and came back, not an upset. Just imo.

I'd say Varner and not because I thought he was a lock to lose as I made money IRL on him, but he was a huge question mark mentally and even from a fighting perspective as he had just lost to Cochrane. Then he came out and knocked out the guy with possibly the best knockout of 2011 in the first round. That gets my vote.

That or this new Sokodjou guy that just knocked out Lil Nog, he may go places.
infestructure
7/20/12 8:04:07AM
Belcher beating Palhares on the ground

Cerrone being dismantled by Nate Diaz

Tito wiping the floor with Bader

Just checked the last two were late 2011. But oh well.
hotrodttt
7/20/12 8:20:16AM

Posted by Kpro

An upset to me is my thoughts pre-fight, a comeback I factor in if they were getting worked and came back, not an upset. Just imo.

I'd say Varner and not because I thought he was a lock to lose as I made money IRL on him, but he was a huge question mark mentally and even from a fighting perspective as he had just lost to Cochrane. Then he came out and knocked out the guy with possibly the best knockout of 2011 in the first round. That gets my vote.

That or this new Sokodjou guy that just knocked out Lil Nog, he may go places.

Yea that Camoroon fighter has got some skills, he'll do well in the UFC
prozacnation1978
7/20/12 11:04:37AM
Could be varner over barboza
Or even yagin over homminck
Rabi
7/20/12 11:18:07AM
These are the candidates of listed for Upset OTY so far:

Upset OTY

1. Vaughn Lee over Kid Yamamoto (UFC 144)
2. Ryan Bader over Rampage Jackson (UFC 144)
3. Steven Siler over Cole Miller (UFC on FX 2)
4. Matt Brown over Stephen Thompson (UFC145)
5. Wineland over Jorgensen (UFC on FX)
6. Varner over Barboza (UFC 146)
7. Tamura over Zhang (UFC 144)
8. Hendricks over Fitch (UFC 141)
9. Boetsch over Okami (UFC 144)

If I had to pick one, I think Lee over The Kid.
JLS1980
7/20/12 11:24:42AM

Posted by OctagonOnly_com

There hasn't been two many of them so far this year, but my pick so far has to be Jamie Varner beating Edson Barboza.

It's not so much that Varner won, which was surprising to me, but the fact that he did it on the feet, and after he came in on short notice.

Yeah I gotta go with Varner over Barboza too as #1. Boetsch over Okami #2.

JakeWalters is on the money with Yagin over Hominick and Lamas over Hioki being notable upsets.

You could also add Darren Elkins over Diego Brandao and Eddie Wineland over Scott Jorgensen as notable upsets too. Some would consider Bader over Rampage but I don't think that was that huge of an upset myself IMO.
Kpro
7/20/12 11:43:23AM

Posted by Rabi

If I had to pick one, I think Lee over The Kid.

I guess when I think upset, I think of who they were at the time of the fight. If we went off of a full body of work then yeah beating Kid is huge, but he was 1-4 (now 1-5) in the last 4 1/2 years going into that fight after starting 17-2. I guess it depends on the person if name value/entire career or recent performances are what makes it an upset to them or not.
Rabi
7/20/12 11:45:43AM
I think the face Lee won by submission was an upset as well.
FastKnockout
7/20/12 12:34:18PM
Varner over Barboza. Varner was still considered a joke leading up the fight. He wasn't supposed to win, let alone knock him out.
kopower
7/20/12 1:09:50PM
Varner over Barboza, or Yagin over Hominick. Boetsch beating Okami was a great comeback, not so much an upset in my book.
Poor_Franklin
7/20/12 1:49:09PM
agreed w/ kopower on boetsch being comeback & not upset.

wasnt Lee a 10:1 underdog or something close to that?
airkerma
7/20/12 1:58:03PM
If we included the nature of how these happened, I would consider Fitch Hendricks. I refuse to believe anybody picked Hendricks rd 1 ko, especially in under a minute.
pmoney
7/20/12 4:07:46PM

Posted by airkerma

If we included the nature of how these happened, I would consider Fitch Hendricks. I refuse to believe anybody picked Hendricks rd 1 ko, especially in under a minute.

I had predicted Hendricks TKO'ing Fitch. PROOF!

However, I did change my pick to Fitch last minute... the pressure got to me! Same thing happened with Belcher-Palhares. I've since learned to trust myself.

More to the topic, I think Upset of the Year has to go to Jamie Varner. He was as big of an underdog as Hendricks was against Fitch, if not more so. Varner hadn't shown his potential like that in years.
Twenty20Dollars
7/20/12 4:48:16PM
A lot of these I wouldn't count as much of an upset or I don't see as a big upset, as a lot of the guys were very capable of winning.

Varner former champ, heavy hands. Not the biggest to me, capable of winning.

I would have to go with Siler over Miller, I hadn't given Siler any chance since his TUF fight to get into the house. Miller had been pretty good coming in.

Budgellism
7/20/12 5:21:45PM
Varner or Yagin takes this one for me.
OctagonOnly_com
7/20/12 8:15:27PM
Varner, Okami and Yagin were the three I was actually debating over, I think a lot of the fights being mentioned actually occurred in 2011, but all good mentions the same.
Rabi
7/21/12 2:40:02AM
The ones I mentioned are all from this year, I started a thread at the start of the year to help remember what happened during the year so when we do our MMAPG nominations at the end of the year we have a point of reference,
Khaos
7/21/12 10:13:32AM
My pick would be Varner over Barboza.
jae_1833
7/21/12 4:11:38PM
Honestly everyone I knew and trusted had Fitch UD over Hendricks....it was depressing really. So seeing Hendricks KO the living blanket was soo extremely satisfying that it takes the cake for me!