What's Thiago Silvas point?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » What's Thiago Silvas point?
Fish_Hook
12/23/09 2:06:44PM
Listen, I like the guy alot. I always root for him and consider him one of my favorite fighters.

HOWEVER...What is his purpose? Does anyone really think he could ever hold a title? His "brutal Muay Thai" i hear about is non-existent. His hands are slow and telegraphed. He rarely throws knees or kicks that connect. He'll try an elbow here or there but he never does damage with them. He does seem to have a decent mount, but is he ever gonna get a good fighter there??

Im not trying to bash, I just think the guy is about half as good as people make him out to be. If you disagree please tell me what are his good qualities that make people think he's a real threat. Don't say hes 16-1 plus he knocked out Jardine, my mother knocked Jardine out once.
spikerman19
12/23/09 3:10:45PM

Posted by Fish_Hook
Don't say hes 16-1 plus he knocked out Jardine, my mother knocked Jardine out once.

So did Houston Alexander!
sbulldavid
12/23/09 4:54:15PM
What are you bashing him for, he's just another up and coming contender, who other than Machida have you seen that he hasn't hit, his Muay Thai forces people to run and that in itself is enough to win a fight against any fighters who can't force him back. Machida is a blackbelt in back peddling, and had all the necessary skills to counter Silva. Silva is a top ten fighter, and if you recall Rampage was lucky to get by Jardine, it's all about the match-up.
karn501
12/23/09 5:49:10PM

Posted by sbulldavid

What are you bashing him for, he's just another up and coming contender, who other than Machida have you seen that he hasn't hit, his Muay Thai forces people to run and that in itself is enough to win a fight against any fighters who can't force him back. Machida is a blackbelt in back peddling, and had all the necessary skills to counter Silva. Silva is a top ten fighter, and if you recall Rampage was lucky to get by Jardine, it's all about the match-up.

griffin didnt get by him
Fish_Hook
12/23/09 6:02:05PM

Posted by sbulldavid

Im not trying to bash him.

Where is this Muay Thai the forces people to run??? He loooks good. He fits the part but he's like a Lil Jon rap song...Your just waiting for him to start but he never does anything. He hit Jardine once, its not like he even looked good doing it.

I'd bet my big toe against a wooden nickel on Rashad.
marcoDGK
12/23/09 6:28:07PM

Posted by Fish_Hook

Posted by sbulldavid

He fits the part but he's like a Lil Jon rap song...Your just waiting for him to start but he never does anything.

Lil Jon makes the whole song. He is a producer and has produced a ton of big songs. That's why he's in the videos and does the chorus.
sbulldavid
12/23/09 11:23:20PM
This is MMA not Muay Thai, I just don't understand what you expect. Maybe he's just really lucky with that sloppy technique of his. He's not the godfather of Muay Thai or anything he just kicks and punches extremely hard, and I think that qualifies as brutal Muay Thai.
TimW001
12/24/09 12:39:37AM
He is strongest in his GnP. I think that's his best quality.
chickmagnet
12/24/09 1:16:25AM
we'll see what happens on january 2nd
submissionartist1
12/24/09 1:41:32AM
Dont count him out hes a good fighter mostly natural tallent but when you build on that thats when you get great fighters, a silva, Rua, machida. Thiagos dangerous
mentalcase
12/24/09 2:46:58AM
hes 16-1 plus he knocked out Jardine
BustedKnuckle
12/25/09 9:07:50PM
Silva definatly needs work on his game for sure. But if Rashad can be Champ, Silva definatly has the tools to be a champ somday. We have never really got a chance to see his ground game in action. He is a very exciting fighter andd will be in the top ten for a long time. Maybe a Wandy type career for him!!??
warglory
12/25/09 11:02:07PM

Posted by Fish_Hook

Listen, I like the guy alot. I always root for him and consider him one of my favorite fighters.

HOWEVER...What is his purpose? Does anyone really think he could ever hold a title? His "brutal Muay Thai" i hear about is non-existent. His hands are slow and telegraphed. He rarely throws knees or kicks that connect. He'll try an elbow here or there but he never does damage with them. He does seem to have a decent mount, but is he ever gonna get a good fighter there??

Im not trying to bash, I just think the guy is about half as good as people make him out to be. If you disagree please tell me what are his good qualities that make people think he's a real threat. Don't say hes 16-1 plus he knocked out Jardine, my mother knocked Jardine out once.

Around here, we like to do a little thing called an avatar bet, which is essentially our wway of doing a little virtual one on one bet against a fellow playgrounder. I'm not challenging you mind you, but if you are that confident in Rashad beating Silva, I think you should make the proposition to someone.
ncordless
12/25/09 11:13:42PM
LOL... This title made me think I was going to read an existentialist tract on the meaning of Thiago Silva's being.

Actually, that would have been more interesting than a rant discounting Thiago and Jardine.

Since I am in the mood for a deeper philosophical discussion, what's fish_hook's purpose?
mrsmiley
12/26/09 7:09:58AM

Posted by ncordless

LOL... This title made me think I was going to read an existentialist tract on the meaning of Thiago Silva's being.

Actually, that would have been more interesting than a rant discounting Thiago and Jardine.

Since I am in the mood for a deeper philosophical discussion, what's fish_hook's purpose?

Haha! I thought the same thing!
You got a point ncordless. Let's run with it!
Come to think of it,what's the point in any fighter?

1.Chuck liddell was only good until he fought guys that could wrestle and strike.

2.Wandy was only good at defeating mass clusters of the Japanese population.

3.Ken Shamrock was good until he got old.

4.Royce was only good because no one knew what he was doing.

5.Fedor is only good because he won't fight UFC fighters.

6.Forrest Griffen is overrated because all he ever did was beat up a few hacks on national television.

7.Anderson is only dominant because he cuts massive weight and fights smaller people.

8.GSP. Well who in the hell loses to Matt Serra anyway?

9.Tito is only considered good because he beat number 3.

Come to think of it,what's the point in any fighter?
Their all grossly overrated anyway.