What's with Sundin?

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » What's with Sundin?
Boo_Radley21
9/6/08 10:09:37AM
Whats the final verdict on what hes doing. I heard he's going to the Rangers but I have no idea if thats true or not. Can anyone fill me in?
Rush
9/6/08 10:36:46AM
Nobody knows


I heard he is now talking with Leaf management, but he has stated that he hasn't even thought about hockey or retrirement all summer.

Training camps are starting up very soon, but I don't think he's worried about that.

I predict 60% chance he will go back to Toronto. 20% Vancouver, 20% other team.




In other Leaf news, we traded McCabe to Florida for van Ryn... Yay!!!!!
Boo_Radley21
9/6/08 10:40:52AM

Posted by Rush

Nobody knows


I heard he is now talking with Leaf management, but he has stated that he hasn't even thought about hockey or retrirement all summer.

Training camps are starting up very soon, but I don't think he's worried about that.

I predict 60% chance he will go back to Toronto. 20% Vancouver, 20% other team.




In other Leaf news, we traded McCabe to Florida for van Ryn... Yay!!!!!



Man, they're losing everyone... Tucker, McCabe, Sundin. The first two arent as good but thats like their top players. But at least they got Jeff Finger...hahaha
Rush
9/6/08 10:50:36AM
Yeah, some of the guys they picked up are ???? to me.


However, the Tucker, McCabe and Sundin issue goes beyond their playing abilities.

1) They are part of the rumoured "old boys club" on the Leafs. Basically, experienced players that some how have some influence as far as contracts and signings go. i.e. they fight to have each other's pay increased and contracts stuffed with no-trade clauses, long terms, etc.

2) Tucker and McCabe are waaaaaaay overpaid. I know the Leafs have lots of money, but long contracts for lots of money are not the way to go these days if a player is prone to underperforming. eg. Tucker was probably the best he was when Shayne Corson was playing (his brother in law) for the Leafs. Tucker then faded after Shayne left, but had a breakout year in points right before his contract was up. However (like McCabe) the points he put up were like a one trick pony. Once other teams learned how they were doing it, they were shuf down, hence no big points after their contracts were signed.


I am kind of excited for all the changes this year. The team is different enough that I will want to watch them play again.
Boo_Radley21
9/6/08 10:58:52AM
The real question is how long do you think it will take them to make the play offs again. They're basically rebuilding the team, so I think it might take a while.
Rush
9/6/08 11:03:43AM

Posted by Boo_Radley21

The real question is how long do you think it will take them to make the play offs again. They're basically rebuilding the team, so I think it might take a while.




I'm convinced, witht he new CBA, most teams have a chance at making the playoffs in any given year. I wouldn't be shocked if they made the playoffs this year, nor would I be surprised if they didn't for another 2 or 3 years. In the previous years we missed the playoffs by either only a couple points or even once by a single goal (in a game the Devils lost, that they should've won I might add. )
Boo_Radley21
9/6/08 11:07:23AM
Haha my buddy is a big Leafs fan and when Jersey scored with less than a second left to put it in overtime he was screaming with joy, and they became the team he wanted to win it all in the playoffs haha.
Rush
9/6/08 11:09:58AM

Posted by Boo_Radley21

Haha my buddy is a big Leafs fan and when Jersey scored with less than a second left to put it in overtime he was screaming with joy, and they became the team he wanted to win it all in the playoffs haha.




What happened when they lost in the shootout and the Leafs were eliminated. lol
Boo_Radley21
9/6/08 11:11:37AM
Haha he was deeply hurt. I love it though because my school is like 90% leafs fans, and i get to rip on people for shit like that all the time. And this year Jersey is taking the cup.
Rush
9/6/08 11:56:08AM

Posted by Boo_Radley21

Haha he was deeply hurt. I love it though because my school is like 90% leafs fans, and i get to rip on people for shit like that all the time. And this year Jersey is taking the cup.




I know a Devils fan pretty well and the Leafs and Devils games are usually very close such that we have mutual respect for each others' teams. Though we do a bit of trash talking here and there. lol
DJDark41
9/6/08 12:48:07PM
I've seen rumors about him being in talks with the Rangers, and I'm surprised he didn't take Vancouver's offer at almost $20 million for two seasons. If he didn't take that offer, I would be suprised if he returns at all. The Rangers could use another talented center though, but I also heard the Rangers were going after Forsberg. Don't hold your breath about Sundin, I would put money on him retiring.
mrkennedy
9/7/08 3:41:23PM
Montreal or Toronto its confirmed by Sundin agent
DJDark41
9/7/08 7:10:17PM

Posted by mrkennedy

Montreal or Toronto its confirmed by Sundin agent





Link or fail.
Boo_Radley21
9/7/08 8:15:54PM
I wouldn't mind if he went to Montreal. He would definitely help the team get even better. But yea, got a link for that?
Rush
9/8/08 9:13:45AM
If he went to the Habs it would be a slap in the face for Leaf fans.

1) He would be going to a team in the same division
2) He turned down a great offer by the Habs last season, which would have got the Leafs some prospects and draft picks in the process.



As for the statement above. It must be a rumour. There is nothing new on TSN other than a rough time frame for him returning is Jan 1 2009