What's this submission?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » What's this submission?
Gladiator
11/7/07 11:08:52AM
What's the name of the submission mark hunt used on fedor in their fight? its like a keylock, or is it the same thing as a keylock?
Vendetta
11/7/07 2:18:36PM
I believe it was a keylock/americana
Gladiator
11/7/07 5:47:20PM
so they are the same thing, a keylock and americana?
Believe-in-judo81
11/7/07 7:08:00PM
Yes, exact same submission, Jiu-Jitsu players just know it as the Americana.
Jackelope
11/8/07 11:39:39PM
I've had some confusion on this one as well, but more in regards to the ameriacna/kimura differences. In the Army we learned an "americana" lock, but so far in the BJJ classes I've been taking we haven't gone over it. My understanding is that the main difference is an Americana roll the wrist backwards over the top towards the back whereas a Kimura rolls the wrist under and towards the back. Is that right? (Learned the Americana lock about 4 years ago, and have recently been going over the kimura in BJJ)
Svartorm
11/12/07 4:34:22AM
That is correct. To further confuse matters, the Americana is also called the Double Top Wristlock.
Vendetta
11/13/07 12:48:28PM
The americana and kimura are both keylocks/bent armlocks. The americana is done from side mount with the opponent's arm bent toward his head, with his back flat on the ground. The kimura is done from side mount with the opponent more on his side, you stepping past his head, and bending the armlock behind his back.

Americana:

Kimura:
Jackelope
11/13/07 1:55:53PM
Nice.. thanks for the visual aid. That's pretty much what I understood at this point.

I just find a kimura a lot simpler to do, personally. Especially from the bottom against bigger guys who want to try to muscle you around with their arms.
Vendetta
11/14/07 12:01:03AM

Posted by Jackelope

Nice.. thanks for the visual aid. That's pretty much what I understood at this point.

I just find a kimura a lot simpler to do, personally. Especially from the bottom against bigger guys who want to try to muscle you around with their arms.

Just make sure you only use it from guard or half guard, otherwise you'll get countered with an armbar.
Jackelope
11/14/07 12:27:02AM
Yeah, I usually go from guard and then during the transition I'll lock down their bottom half and kind of push myself out to the side to gain leverage. I really do need to up my guard submissions game, though. I hate falling back on the same submission over and over again
Believe-in-judo81
11/14/07 12:54:50AM
Roll-out Kimuras from four point position are a nice tool to have too, but I never really appreciated them until I saw Sakuraba nail a few. Guy makes it look like it's as easy as breathing.
madmarck
11/14/07 7:42:01AM

Posted by Vendetta

Posted by Jackelope

Just make sure you only use it from guard or half guard, otherwise you'll get countered with an armbar.

Hughes/GSP 1 Style?
Make sure you close the guard to otherwise you could lose in your 170lb title shot.