So you're starting MMA Training? Listen up.

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » So you're starting MMA Training? Listen up.
« Previous Page
Brandon
7/2/08 6:39:49PM
My training is going well. Already recieved my second stripe (white belt, but hey gotta start somewhere). Found out its not TKD. More of a JJ/MT mixture. Sweet!
Omega
7/5/08 9:57:09PM

Posted by Brandon

My training is going well. Already recieved my second stripe (white belt, but hey gotta start somewhere). Found out its not TKD. More of a JJ/MT mixture. Sweet!

Ernie Reyes????

Jr. or Sr.?
Naturaldisaster
7/15/08 4:47:52PM
I have my 1st MMA training session tomorrow and BJJ right after that at Derby City Martial Arts. Im really lookin forward to it. Im kinda nervous because I've never taken any martial arts before. but I know they have some really good fighters there to train with so I know it will be a really good learning experience.
The-Don
7/15/08 5:51:00PM

Posted by Naturaldisaster

I have my 1st MMA training session tomorrow and BJJ right after that at Derby City Martial Arts. Im really lookin forward to it. Im kinda nervous because I've never taken any martial arts before. but I know they have some really good fighters there to train with so I know it will be a really good learning experience.

Just relax and listen.. ask questions.. Don't mess around... Listen... and follow the rules also listen...
Naturaldisaster
7/15/08 9:24:04PM

Posted by The-Don

Just relax and listen.. ask questions.. Don't mess around... Listen... and follow the rules also listen...

I will definitly listen
Naturaldisaster
7/16/08 10:10:30PM
Training was awesome. the No Gi Jui Jitsu was a little hard to get at first because I had trouble figuring out which way to swivle my hips when I was locking in an arm lock. but all together it was a great session.
Svartorm
7/16/08 11:02:01PM
They're having you work armlocks in your first lesson? Thats weird. Most trainers work positioning first and then adds subs once you can transition and hold positions.
Naturaldisaster
7/17/08 2:55:11AM

Posted by Svartorm

They're having you work armlocks in your first lesson? Thats weird. Most trainers work positioning first and then adds subs once you can transition and hold positions.

they had us pull guard then get an armlock. and a sweep into a kimura, and how to pass guard.
and during the mma class they taught us the baseball choke, how to get out of a standing guillotine, and rnc. and then we rolled with someone and switched partners every 5 minutes. i did good with that until I had to face a 205lb guy. He beat my ass. but It was great and kinda cool to be in the same room as some guys that are fighting at the RFL show saturday, and a guy (john troyer) who fought Nick the Goat Thompson in the main event of BODOG in february
The-Don
7/17/08 8:57:11AM
Some schools just have new students jump in and cycle the lessons around getting back to basics every few days or once a week... I like and dislike this method... for a true beginer it can be very confusing and frustrating espically if they are stuck with another relitive beginer.. I always found putting the newest people with the most experienced people can help cause the more experienced person can sorta semi privately help[ the new person along and help give them a brief basics until the basics lessons come along.. I have not fully decided how in my school I want to handle this... I think the first 15 minutes of every class will be covering basics... something that translates well to what were doing that day...
Naturaldisaster
7/17/08 3:44:04PM

Posted by The-Don

Some schools just have new students jump in and cycle the lessons around getting back to basics every few days or once a week... I like and dislike this method... for a true beginer it can be very confusing and frustrating espically if they are stuck with another relitive beginer.. I always found putting the newest people with the most experienced people can help cause the more experienced person can sorta semi privately help[ the new person along and help give them a brief basics until the basics lessons come along.. I have not fully decided how in my school I want to handle this... I think the first 15 minutes of every class will be covering basics... something that translates well to what were doing that day...

I liked how they just threw us in there like that, because I catch on really quick so it wasnt to bad for me. when we were rolling, they didnt expect any of us begginers to know anything so they were suprised when I threw up a gogoplata and almost tapped the guy out with it, but the round ended right then. I really need to work on my omaplata defense because one of the bjj guys got me in it twice and forced me to tap. I have no clue how to get out of it
The-Don
7/17/08 4:24:49PM

Posted by The-Don

I liked how they just threw us in there like that, because I catch on really quick so it wasnt to bad for me. when we were rolling, they didnt expect any of us begginers to know anything so they were suprised when I threw up a gogoplata and almost tapped the guy out with it, but the round ended right then. I really need to work on my omaplata defense because one of the bjj guys got me in it twice and forced me to tap. I have no clue how to get out of it

Yea but not everyone has some experience or actually paysd attention to what goes on in MMA and such other then the winner... mopst people who have no idea what they are doing could be overwhelmed and may not come back...
paddy260
10/16/08 8:13:18PM
how do u find places to fight
Omega
10/16/08 9:28:22PM
There's a pinned section in this area of the forum.
The-Don
10/19/08 12:10:14PM
do we have a section for competitions.. I know we have a schools thread... but is there one for actual competitions? if not it might be a good idea.. espically for the much smaller and more local orgs...
Pride-Fighter
11/25/08 11:28:57PM
I am a brown belt in Kenpo Karate with 3 months MMA training behind me. I had to stop MMA due to expenses but I hope to take it up ASAP. I love MA's and training in them.
TheCatFather
12/13/08 8:47:56PM
How do I get into training and maybe fighting? I am 31 so I am sort of kind of a late bloomer but man I love to hit and get hit and to train and get ripped would be great.
Omega
12/13/08 11:21:02PM
Find a gym in your area. I know there's about 3 in the New York area.
The-Don
12/18/08 3:56:31PM

Posted by TheCatFather

How do I get into training and maybe fighting? I am 31 so I am sort of kind of a late bloomer but man I love to hit and get hit and to train and get ripped would be great.

31 is not that late.. espically if you have had prior train it will make it easier... I am 31 myself.
billyho
10/2/09 10:40:53AM
Here is an article I wrote which I thought might be helpful for anyone starting out in MMA. It's called,4 Tips For Those New To MMA

I hope you find it helpful!
neenashireen
3/2/12 5:09:34AM
You have done lots of things in your life that’s wonderful! The Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) is the best combination of martial art and also fastest growing sport in the world. What is the “muay thai”? It’s like a kind of Kung Fu
tinlin
6/9/12 6:24:46PM
unbelievable strength and conditioning programme, helped me get in shape for competition to go on to win british titles in kickboxing and compete in mma.

http://57ae2nx7teskcr46amt4pajq36.hop.clickbank.net/
GettinsomeBas
8/3/12 8:51:55PM
thanks this was helpful
gearproboxing
6/3/14 7:03:53AM
In case of boxing you should do weight training, punching workouts, sparring, weight lifting and so on.
prophecy033
6/3/14 11:42:02AM

Posted by gearproboxing

In case of boxing you should do weight training, punching workouts, sparring, weight lifting and so on.

jjeans
6/4/14 7:06:15PM

Posted by prophecy033

Posted by gearproboxing

gearproboxing
9/6/14 2:06:08AM

Posted by Svartorm

I'll cover a few things here as well, and anyone who actually fights MMA/NHB who'd like to give some advice, please feel free to do so.

A bit of background: I've done TMA since I was 9 competed in sub-grappling locally from 14-18, and had my first amatuer NHB fight at 22. I had severely injured my back when I was 19 so I have the unique experience of trying to get into MMA from the couch potato perspective. Although I had a decent background beforehand in American Kempo, wrestling (a little greco and freestyle), and Iaite, my body was completely destroyed before trying to get into mma. So, heres some tidbits for the folks that are not athletic, or are formerly athletic. Before I get into that, theres something that needs to be addressed that many people shoot themselves in the foot with when going into competetive sports.

BE HONEST WITH YOURSELF!

You need to be honest with yourself in a number of things, but first and foremost is whether or not you have what it takes to be a fighter. I guarentee almost everyone will initially answer "Yes" when they think of that, and I guarentee almost all of you are wrong. When explaining why I like fighting to someone, I explain it as this:

"Fighting is the physical manifestation of willpower between two warriors."

Matt Hughes claims fighting is half mental and half physical. Renzo Gracie claims its 70% mental and 30% physical. I'm learning towards the 90% mental and 10% physical area myself, but regardless, if your mind and heart aren't into combat, this isn't for you. Theres no shame in not having the mental and emotional conditioning to fight, as some people are simply not wired for it, and I'm reasonally sure theres no way around that instinct if you happen to be in that crowd. Painting stripes on a house cat doesn't make it a tiger, and putting someone not wired to be a fighter into a Muay Thai class doesn't make them a fighter either.

One of the big questions is this: Why do you want to be a fighter? There are several answers for this, such as money, fame, women, glory, etc etc but theres one question that can cut to the chase, and its something everyone should ask themselves before stepping into a ring, cage or whatever.

If you weren't going to get money, weren't going to get recognition, and no one would ever know you did or didn't do it, would you still fight?

Once again, be honest and answer that question. If the answer is "Yes", then keep reading. If the answer is "No" then you might want to figure out exactly what it is you're looking for, and see if theres a better way to go about it that would still make you happy. Sounds corny, but once fists start flying, blood is running and you're stuck in mount, things like money and fame are not going to modivate you to get out of that spot and keep going when your body is telling you that you've had it.

Now, Omega and Fullerene have brought up good points about starting in one art and going from there, and to be in decent physical shape. I'd like to expand on some of this with personal experience and a bit of common sense.

1. DON'T START TOO FAST.

If you leap into martial art training, dieting, weight training and cardio every day right off the bat, you'll either hurt yourself or completely burn out in a short amount of time. If you're already athletic, you shouldn't have a problem handling two classes a week, in addition to whatever you do to keep healthy. If you're not athletic, or have been on the shelf for awhile, its going to take a bit more work. I'd recommend you start with stretching and light body weight excercises. Stretching conditions the muscles for the rigors to come in the next few weeks and body weight excercises are easy to do, can be done anywhere and are a good bellweather as to how fit you are. If you can't knock out 50 push-ups, sit-ups or jumping jacks, you're going to need some time to get your body ready for training. Once again, be honest with yourself about this. You might be excited about the prospects of fighting, but you'll end up slowing yourself down if you get hurt and have to take time off, especially if you're not paticularly modivated about training in the first place.

Once you're comfortable with body weight excercise and stretching, to the point where you can function normally the day after a workout and are doing a decent amount of push-ups, sit-ups, jumping jacks, and squats, you'll want to start in on cardio training to see what your wind is like. Walking is a good way to start, as its low impact but does help you aerobically. Keep a steady pace (3 or so miles and hour is good) and see how far you can walk before you're mildly physically tired. If this is less than five miles, you're going to need to work on this. If walking isn't giving you a workout, try jogging or eliptical machines and see what kind of pace you can set. Most "fit" people can do 15 minutes at a moderate pace with little trouble. Fit doesn't cut it for fighting, but it should work for training.

Now that you've got your wind working for you, time to hit the weights. I'm not even remotely qualified to talk about weight training, and use a very simple power lifting method to increase strength, along with kettlebells and grappling. If someone with a weight lifting background could chime in here, that would be awesome, but I'm not comfortable giving recommendations to people on this.

Now time to address diet and actual martial skill building.

very interesting
Pages: 1 2 [3]