UFC 90 -Silva vs Cote / Kos vs Alves - my picks and why !!

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » UFC 90 -Silva vs Cote / Kos vs Alves - my picks and why !!
keith-hackney1
10/24/08 7:25:06PM
Cote vs Silva-
I know the obvious pick is silva, and personally i feel that if anderson takes this fight, its not as if he has to prove anything ever again as he has destroyed every opponent at their own game so far.
How ever, every so often in the UFC, we get major upsets and with Cote's power punches, and ability to take a shot, i think that this fight has upset written all over it.
Sorry silva fans, although i widely give every ounce of respect to silva the champ, i'm going for a Patrick cote 2nd ko.

Koscheck vs Alves-
Thiago landed some vicious bombs on hughes over in the UK to get his tko victory over the once was greatest WW in UFC history. But, i don't believe Hughes has been the same fighter since losing the title to st.pierre. Alves ko of an over rated karo parysian wasn't a huge shock to me as i thought he was gonna destroy karo anyway. Alves does have the youth, power. strength and athleticism to defeat great fighters, but i think kos, love him or hate him is just below the skill set of the current WW champion GSP. I see kos along with fitch matching the criteria of the triangle of top 3 WW's the UFC has now, at this point in time. I think alves will land a few shots on kos, but josh does have explosive wrestling that will get him the takedowns in this fight. I see kos either landing strikes from the top over 3 rounds and eeking out a unanimous decision over the pit bull or a possible tko stoppage in the 3rd.

If my opinions come through, probably will be the two biggest upsets this year !!

Any thoughts guys ...

SociopathX
10/24/08 10:17:27PM
Leben can take a punch... he didn't make it past the first round.

Silva is not unstoppable, I think there are a few light heavy weights that could give him a run. Cote, however..... I'll be surprised if he makes it longer than 3 minutes.
postman
10/24/08 10:28:59PM

Posted by SociopathX

Silva is not unstoppable, I think there are a few light heavy weights that could give him a run. Cote, however..... I'll be surprised if he makes it longer than 3 minutes.

I agree with you not to mention a punch and a knee are two differnet things and if it goes to the ground he will sub him. I think it is going to be hard for KOS to come in on short notice and beat a guy thats in his ball park as a fighter. If this fight was the original fight I would prob go with KOS but since he hasn't had the time to prepare I am going with Alves.
haggiswashere
10/24/08 10:32:21PM
i wouldn't consider kos winning an upset. i think they are pretty evenly matched imo. i want alves to win but i think this is a harder fight than alot of people think for him
hotrodttt
10/25/08 2:18:53AM
I think Kos beating Alves would be a Mild upset in that Alves has some of the Best Takedown Defense there is and THE Best Muay Thai in the UFC Welterweight Division. But I am still picking Koscheck, I totaly sound like Jefferson during the Louisiana Purchase
higdon10
10/25/08 2:31:14AM
Kos over Alves wouldnt be an upset. They are both top 5 guys. I like Kos by UD.
Enaoslm
10/25/08 2:54:22AM
I know it's a long shot, but I'm tempted to put $1000 on Cote. Like you say MMA is full of upsets and if Chonan can do it, why not Cote.

Still think Silva is a freak of nature though with unbelievable accuracy and power.
coldchillin
10/25/08 4:32:11AM
I don't see Cote standing much of a chance... if he intends on trying to stand with The Spider like he says he is, he'll be knocked out in the first round.

If Koscheck is smart, he'll fight a boring and methodical fight using his superior wrestling and win via boring lay n' pray. No reason for him to engage with Alves on the feet.
mkiv9secsupra
10/25/08 7:34:15AM

Posted by SociopathX

Leben was also a horrible striker then too. No head movement, bad footwork and threw long looping strikes. Silva was free to strike him however he wanted.

Cote is nowhere near Leben. Cote has technicality in his striking and should be able to land a punch unlike Leben.
mentalcase
10/25/08 7:57:31AM
leben beat cote in a close decsion 10-11 months before getting destroyed by anderson if leben was such a horrible striker then, then what was cote?
they have both improved since but i dont know why you think cote is soo much better now, and leben made short work of Jorge Santiago 2 months after geting killed by silva and look at what Santiago done since then, id back leben in a cote rematch, i dont know why everybody thinks cotes that good now,
just cause hes was given the title shot now dosent mean he did anything to deserve it
gsquat
10/25/08 10:29:30AM
I think it's funny how as time goes on and as Anderson keeps winning, we start thinking more and more that he's beatable. We see some holes each fight. He manages to get out of some tight situations, but it's a window. At this point I see his worst matchup a GnP wrestler who has great sub defense (Cough(Rashad Evans)Cough). But seriously, there's a lot of 205ers that would give him troubles. Besides... he's been beaten before. Legitimately. Not like Fedor who has really seemed to be invincible. Sorry, cuts less than 20 seconds into a fight don't count in my book. Anyway, I also have that feeling that Cote is gonna land something big on Silva. Either that or he'll be the first to push him past the second round, possibly to a decision. I'm still picking Silva, but almost anticipating something else.

For me, it's too obvious a win for Kos. Kos's standup has improved greatly and Alves's ground game hasn't. Granted he's got a little better takedown defense, but Kos is a lot faster than Hughes or Karo. Kos UD.
Wallass
10/25/08 12:08:09PM
Im taking Cote aswell. This has potential to be the 2008 version of Serra vs GSP with a big upset being a strong possibility.
Branwest
10/25/08 12:45:38PM
I WANT Silva to win. Reason: Because, with a GSP win over BJ, then we'll probably get to see GSP vs. Silva, before Silva retires. Now I know that many of you will critisize this and say that GSP has no chance, and maybe he doesn't. But it would be a VERY entertaining fight and make a lot of money for the UFC, and may set the PPV record for the UFC. Then again, the record may be set at UFC 100 with GSP vs. Penn. Silva only has 5 fights left after Cote. I want to see the best fights possible. Greg Jackson sais that GSP takes even the LHW and HW's down at will. Even Rashad, who was a great collegiate wrestler. He could take Silva down. It's what he does AFTER he gets him down that matters. I say Silva by submission, probably a triangle. But what if this was a 5-round WAR........!!!!! That would be awesome. Highly doubtful, but awesome.

And picking Kos over Alves isn't exactly a big risk, nor a huge upset. I've got Kos over Alves as well. If he's smart, Kos will take Alves down and keep him down, and GnP while watching out for subs. I've got Kos via Judge's Unanimous Decision. And Silva via (T)KO in the second round (because Cote will stand with Silva, which will make for a VERY fun fight to watch, but not to be in the middle of because someone's going to go down).
cheesy-maggot
10/25/08 2:00:31PM

Posted by Branwest

I WANT Silva to win. Reason: Because, with a GSP win over BJ, then we'll probably get to see GSP vs. Silva, before Silva retires. Now I know that many of you will critisize this and say that GSP has no chance, and maybe he doesn't. But it would be a VERY entertaining fight and make a lot of money for the UFC, and may set the PPV record for the UFC. Then again, the record may be set at UFC 100 with GSP vs. Penn. Silva only has 5 fights left after Cote. I want to see the best fights possible. Greg Jackson sais that GSP takes even the LHW and HW's down at will. Even Rashad, who was a great collegiate wrestler. He could take Silva down. It's what he does AFTER he gets him down that matters. I say Silva by submission, probably a triangle. But what if this was a 5-round WAR........!!!!! That would be awesome. Highly doubtful, but awesome.

And picking Kos over Alves isn't exactly a big risk, nor a huge upset. I've got Kos over Alves as well. If he's smart, Kos will take Alves down and keep him down, and GnP while watching out for subs. I've got Kos via Judge's Unanimous Decision. And Silva via (T)KO in the second round (because Cote will stand with Silva, which will make for a VERY fun fight to watch, but not to be in the middle of because someone's going to go down).

Lesnar vs Couture will set the PPV record without a doubt.
SociopathX
10/25/08 6:34:20PM

Posted by mentalcase

leben beat cote in a close decsion 10-11 months before getting destroyed by anderson if leben was such a horrible striker then, then what was cote?
they have both improved since but i dont know why you think cote is soo much better now, and leben made short work of Jorge Santiago 2 months after geting killed by silva and look at what Santiago done since then, id back leben in a cote rematch, i dont know why everybody thinks cotes that good now,
just cause hes was given the title shot now dosent mean he did anything to deserve it

agree 100 % . Cote is not bad by any means but Leben would beat him again if they fought imo. Cote is getting the shot because the 5 people in front of him have all already lost to Silva.
WrestlersAssassin
10/25/08 9:18:52PM
I like both Kos and Thiago but I think Thiago is on his way to a title shot against BJ Penn, all Kos has to do is do what Hughes couldnt and I dont think Thiago is going to sit and wait in this one, Thiago by KO and obviously Anderson by KO in the 2nd or 3rd.