When's Sherk coming back?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » When's Sherk coming back?
ChicagoCobra
2/7/07 12:33:39AM
Anyone heard anything about when Sean Sherk is going to fight again? I know he went into his fight with Kenny Florian with a tore rotator-cuff, anyone know how long those usually take to heal? Thanks.
hippysmacker
2/7/07 3:29:55AM
Taken from Sherdog

Hermes Franca to Get Title Shot Against Sean Sherk
Posted by ufcjunkie on January 26, 2007 at 8:42 am ET
Hermes Franca (16-5 MMA, 5-2 UFC), who scored a second-round TKO over Spencer Fisher at last night’s UFC Fight Night 8 event, will get his wish and fight current UFC lightweight champion Sean Sherk, according to Sherdog.com.

Franca, winner of eight straight fights (three of which were in the UFC), dropped to his knees after last night’s televised victory and begged UFC president Dana White for a title shot.

From Sherdog.com:

At the post-fight press conference, UFC president said Franca would get his shot against Sherk, likely in July.

It’s hard to tell if Sherk will be ready for a July bout, considering he’s still recovering from rotator-cuff surgery following his October 2006 win over Kenny Florian.

As I’ve mentioned in the past, Franca resurrected his career in 2006. He lost his last three fights in 2005 (and five of the last seven) before bouncing back the following year to win all seven of his bouts. He recently signed a four-fight contract with the UFC prior to last night’s fight.

However, Franca’s upcoming opponent has been on an equally impressive streak. Sherk has won 14 of his 15 past fights. The lone loss was against current UFC welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre at UFC 56 in November 2005.

There ya go, sometime in the summer
strikefirstgear
2/7/07 3:53:04AM
Franca is a great fighter but no way he takes the belt from Sherk.
madmarck
2/7/07 9:35:14AM
Sean is out with a back injury from what i hear. So by the time he comes back the first one in line will be Hermes. Should be fairly good timing too. I except late spring.
JoeMimic
2/7/07 9:47:46AM

Posted by strikefirstgear

Franca is a great fighter but no way he takes the belt from Sherk.

Hard to take someones belt when you're going to be on your back 95% of the fight. I'm sure Franca will be working on his sprawls and submissions off of his back.
waylon_o
2/7/07 10:05:31AM
I had tendonitis in my rotator cuff from a baseball injury...I'm not sure if it's the same thing, but I'll never fully recover. It doesn't hurt usually at all, but every once in a while (while doing push-ups sometimes or bench pressing) it flares up. Hurts like hell.
hippysmacker
2/7/07 10:31:12AM

Posted by waylon_o

I had tendonitis in my rotator cuff from a baseball injury...I'm not sure if it's the same thing, but I'll never fully recover. It doesn't hurt usually at all, but every once in a while (while doing push-ups sometimes or bench pressing) it flares up. Hurts like hell.

If you move the bench up one notch , or just do incline instead of flat( which is a more natural movement for the body) it will take a lot of stress off your rotator cuff. I have permantly damaged labrum in my shoulder, so I feel ya.
strikefirstgear
2/7/07 11:54:21AM
I tore my rotator cuff over 6 months ago. Still not the same by far. Pushups suck more than they used to and certain armbars are the worst because they crank on my shoulder. I am no Muscle Shark though. With his resources and athleticism he will probably be fine.
enano
9/19/07 3:08:50AM
last i herd he was going through a lot of legal problem. he tested + for the fight he had with franca. Franca also tested + and is not allowed to fight for a year.
DCRage
9/19/07 7:32:44AM
Sherk's got an appeal hearing coming up soon, I think it's near the end of next month. If his appeal fails here, he is suspended for 1 year (which might be retroactive to after the fight) and is stripped of the UFC Lightweight Title. That would keep him out until, at the very least, late summer 2008. If his appeal succeeds and he's not suspended, he could be back as soon as UFC 78.
CornishMMA
9/19/07 7:51:38AM
enano why did you reply to an old thread that hasnt had a post in it for 7 months??? this was RE sherk BEFORE the franca fight

But just for those that want to know his appeal hearing is OCT 31st and will know then whether his 1 year bah until July 2008 stands or not
CWall33
9/19/07 7:55:00AM
Maybe a 'tad off topic, but still relavent.
Has any top fighter ever "won" his appeal, and had his suspension reversed?
And what kind of legal grounds would Sherk have to get it overturned? Claim a faulty test? That was his normal level of <substance>?