I just can't shake this

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » I just can't shake this
prophecy033
8/2/12 7:06:38PM
I was driving my route today and came along the worst accident I've ever witnessed. It wasn't full of blood or anything like that but this was worse imo. As I pulled up there were already a few people there helping but what I heard when I rolled my window down made my heart sink. I heard a baby crying like crazy. I was looking around to find it and saw that a baby, still in its care seat, was in the ditch right side up. As soon as I saw it 2 ladies ran over to it and started looking it over. A man told them to keep it crying and they did. I asked him if the baby had been ejected and he said yes. I couldn't stop shaking after hearing that. I asked him if anyone had called 911 but he wasn't sure. I said ill call and he thanked me. So I pulled my work truck over and got out so I could see what mile marker was closest and noticed the babies mother semi-awake in the passenger seat as people were talking to her. The car that had hit them on the passenger side was in the field being taken care of. He was an older man and I could tell he was in shock. I was too at the site of it all.

The thing I'm having a tough time with is I'm still hearing that babies screams. It only happened 2 hours ago but I don't know if the baby is ok or the mother for that matter. I just pray to god that they both are ok
hymiekooken
8/2/12 7:18:39PM
Dude, thats enough to shake anyone up. I hope they are ok. If the baby was crying, I know that is scary to hear after seeing a wreck like that, but mabye that's a good sign, don't know if its true or not, but I have heard babies survive crashes better than adults, anyway, I hope for the best for all involved.
Shawn91111
8/2/12 7:21:17PM
Even worse when you have kids. Before none of that seemed to bother me, but now I cant watch CNN with all their kidnapping and accidents with kids etc.

Was in a car accident with my son when he was 3, luckily I swerved to avoid a huge accident but it still was $5,000 in damage by a 16 yr old kid. After I asked my son if he was ok, I quickly got out of the car, realizing the auto lock was on and I left the car running. I was right next to an auto place so they slim jimed the lock open in a few minutes.

Cant stand watching kids in pain
kopower
8/2/12 7:26:18PM

Posted by Shawn91111

Even worse when you have kids. Before none of that seemed to bother me, but now I cant watch CNN with all their kidnapping and accidents with kids etc.

Was in a car accident with my son when he was 3, luckily I swerved to avoid a huge accident but it still was $5,000 in damage by a 16 yr old kid. After I asked my son if he was ok, I quickly got out of the car, realizing the auto lock was on and I left the car running. I was right next to an auto place so they slim jimed the lock open in a few minutes.

Cant stand watching kids in pain

I am the same way now. If I here about a child death in the news, I have to turn the channel, or not read the story.

Hope to god the mother and baby are ok. That story just makes my heart sink.
infestructure
8/2/12 7:38:56PM
At least you stopped and helped Proph Many people wouldn't have, and the emergency services might have taken longer. You did your bit.
Rough though, hope you are OK man.
pmoney
8/2/12 7:41:15PM
Damn that's crazy.... At least there wasn't any fatalities... I would imagine that being that young, the kid will never remember it. At least I would hope so.

Don't let it shake you up that bad bro. You were put there at that time to help those people, and you did the right thing. I'm sure all involved will make a full recovery.

prophecy033
8/2/12 7:49:50PM
Thanks guys but its not me I'm worried about because I get to go home at the end of the day. I tend to worry about people regardless if I know them. I'll see a guy or girl with a disability and I wanna follow them around so I can protect them from assholes and douchebags. I have a brother that's Autistic so I have so much compassion for those that can't protect themselves.
sparky
8/2/12 7:49:55PM
Your a good man brother

Thats going to be something you"ll live with forever now but take pride in knowing you potentially helped save that baby.

So many ppl out there would have just turned the other way sorta speak. Your a good person and thats rare not to many of them left
infestructure
8/2/12 7:55:47PM
Next time I see an accident, I won't just drive on by - thanks to your example Proph.
prophecy033
8/2/12 7:57:47PM

Posted by infestructure

Next time I see an accident, I won't just drive on by - thanks to your example Proph.

I hope all you would but I have a feeling you guys would stop regardless of this story
george112
8/2/12 8:23:46PM
Bubbles
8/2/12 8:55:04PM
Last summer, I was driving to work around 6:30am I saw a van slowly drift from the right lane into the left and then into the ditch (2 lane highway) and it was less than 100 yards infront of me. I saw the van swerve to try to get back on the road and then flip and roll a few times in that ditch. I slammed on my brakes and moved to the shoulder (thankfully no one was behind me otherwise I would have been rear ended) and ran over to see if the driver and passengers were alright. I called 911 right away. I walked over and saw the driver was standing there shocked and stunned and in disbelief...but was pretty calm considering. He was the only one in the van and said he was fine as I was relaying questions that the operator was asking me. No other cars stopped, and thankfully no one was seriously injured otherwise I would have been really shaken up trying to deal with this. It took me a few hours to get over it (it helped that work was really busy and I couldn't dwell on it) but in time you will be able to let it slip your mind.

Mind you this isn't nearly as bad as having a baby involved, but in time it will get easier. You are a good man Prophecy
Lungsofsteel
8/2/12 9:21:34PM
me and me dad were driving down the highway maybe 2 months ago saw a mini-van with its blinkers on in a slew on the side of the road......well we went to go check we get back to the truck n theres a drunk dude.....should have beat his ass n left him but my dad u kno lets drive him back to town
SpiderSilva
8/2/12 9:43:43PM
give it time my man it will pass. time heals. Highways suck.

my niece's friend died last month and almost every one of her friends family did too in that car.

Some girl dropped her phone while texting and bent over to pick it up and swerved into the other lane right in front of her friends family causing their SUV to flip. The mother and father died and the girl died covering her little brother the only survivor. well so did the girl who dropped her phone. fucked up part is i drive by this spot every day and there is a big chunk taken out of the median.
DancingDoll
8/2/12 9:53:02PM
That's a terrible story. :(

Maybe wait and see if something comes up on the news in the next day or so in your area. If it's really serious, I assume they'd report it. If everyone is just shaken up but ok, they probably wouldn't. You could always call the local hospital if it's something you need to resolve in your thoughts before you can move on from it.

It takes a while for something like that to settle in our thoughts. That definitely sounds like an experience that can haunt for a long while. Hopefully they're all ok.

It's good to know there are solid people like you that will stop when they see something like that. A lot of people can't be bothered to get involved. It always surprises me how often people prefer to just look the other way instead of offering help.
prophecy033
8/2/12 9:56:42PM

Posted by DancingDoll

That's a terrible story. :(

Maybe wait and see if something comes up on the news in the next day or so in your area. If it's really serious, I assume they'd report it. If everyone is just shaken up but ok, they probably wouldn't. You could always call the local hospital if it's something you need to resolve in your thoughts before you can move on from it.

It takes a while for something like that to settle in our thoughts. That definitely sounds like an experience that can haunt for a long while. Hopefully they're all ok.

It's good to know there are solid people like you that will stop when they see something like that. A lot of people can't be bothered to get involved. It always surprises me how often people prefer to just look the other way instead of offering help.

They problem is it wasn't local....it was near Salem and I live outside Portland in a city called Milwaukie. There over 50 miles apart
KungFuMaster
8/2/12 10:04:12PM
That's right, Prophecy. Most people won't stop to lend a hand.

If more folks were like you, the world would be alright.
warglory
8/2/12 10:29:25PM
A few friends and I were driving back from a Megadeth concert in Boston several years ago, it was pitch black, probably between 1-2am. We were on the highway heading back to VT when out of nowhere we ran across those old pickup with a cap on it, with it's tail lights barely visible. The truck was sitting on the line dividing the roadway and the breakdown lane. Keep in mind this is a highway, so had the guy's lights not been on, we'd have probably been killed rear ending this guy going probably 70+ mph.

Because we saw the guy's lights ahead of time, we slowed down because we knew something wasn't right. We pulled ahead of him as we really didn't have time to slow down in behind him, which would have been ideal for safety's sake, but we pulled into the breakdown lane, and went to check on the truck.

To make matters worse, this is a foggy night, so here is this truck, in the middle of a highway with no traffic. This truck's engine is running with it's headlights on, so we can't see into the vehicle, which by now had dew all over the front of the windshield as well. I don't know why, but at that moment I kind of had a moment of mild dread. I have no idea, but I had a feeling we might be walking upon someone who decided to pull over and blow their brains out or something. It was a very, very eerie feeling.

So we slowly approach the passenger side of the car, and we peer into the truck to find an old man, probably in his 70's, just sitting there, completely confused, not knowing what was happening. We looked into the bed of the truck , through the windows in his cap, and it looked like this guy's life's possessions were in the truck. It was literally packed to the top with random crap. We asked him if he was okay, which he kind of just responded to with a half hearted nod which showed he really had no idea what was going on. I'll tell you, this was downright frightening considering the predicament. This was before everyone and their kid sister had cell phones, and my buddies and I were late to the game anyway with cells, so none of us had phones. We had to keep this guy calm, while waiting for a car to drive by. Luckily after a few minutes, we managed to flag down a passer by who called 911. The cops eventually came, we took statements, and left, but I'll never forget that moment.

I sometimes think that if we hadn't stopped, even ahead of the truck, and put on our hazards, what would have happened had one person, who was tired behind the wheel, or wasn't really paying attention considering how light traffic was, plowed into the back of the truck. Gives me chills thinking about it.

You'll never forget moments like this, and in fact, it adds a whole new level of character to your life that you didn't have before, because you know what you're capable of, even in a relatively mild scenario where lives weren't at imminent risk or something. It's a sobering moment for sure.
infestructure
8/2/12 10:43:53PM

Posted by Lungsofsteel

me and me dad were driving down the highway maybe 2 months ago saw a mini-van with its blinkers on in a slew on the side of the road......well we went to go check we get back to the truck n theres a drunk dude.....should have beat his ass n left him but my dad u kno lets drive him back to town

You should have pretended to be friendly and grabbed his keys, call the cops. The authorities will understand why you took the keys I'm sure.

I wonder what the legal repercussions for taking a drunks person's keys are...Technically it's stealing, but you are possibly preventing a vehicular suicide/manslaughter.
warglory
8/2/12 11:09:24PM

Posted by infestructure

Posted by Lungsofsteel

You should have pretended to be friendly and grabbed his keys, call the cops. The authorities will understand why you took the keys I'm sure.

I wonder what the legal repercussions for taking a drunks person's keys are...Technically it's stealing, but you are possibly preventing a vehicular suicide/manslaughter.

I think it depends on your local law. Could be considered a semi-citizen's arrest.
tcunningham
8/2/12 11:48:16PM
the baby crying is a good thing, a silent baby is not. i have seen multiple fatality accidents, dead people are a totally different thing to see because you know they are gone. people in pain is very difficult to see because they are actually making noise and feeling the pain. just keep yourself busy and talk it out with family/friends is the best advice i can give. good luck man
prophecy033
8/3/12 12:16:57AM

Posted by tcunningham

the baby crying is a good thing, a silent baby is not. i have seen multiple fatality accidents, dead people are a totally different thing to see because you know they are gone. people in pain is very difficult to see because they are actually making noise and feeling the pain. just keep yourself busy and talk it out with family/friends is the best advice i can give. good luck man

That's why i put it on here, i talk with you guys all the time and am friends with a lot of you. There is great advice to be had on the Playground from all you guys.
scoozna
8/3/12 9:35:13AM
It sounds like that car seat saved that baby's life. I shudder to think of what would have happened without it. I know those car seats, when installed properly, pretty much pin the baby down and have sections on either side of the head that limit movement from side to side.

Good for you for stopping and helping Proph. Sometimes there's nothing you can really do but keep people calm and talk to them until the ambulance arrives, but I'm sure those folks appreciate it when their heads clear.
Michael_Corleone
8/3/12 10:38:32AM
Damn. Sad story. Too bad man.

I can remeber shootin hoops back in the day with one of my guys at the park. All off a sudden I heard tires screeching behind me and I turned around in time to see this little black boy(no older than 6-7 yrs old) on a bicycle get hit by this white dude(mid 40's) in a mini van. The guy had his windows rolled down and when he stopped he yelled "OH MY FUCKING GOD!"

My friend and I ran over there to check on the kid but before we got to the scene the boy was already standing up but his bike was under the bumper of the van. I couldn't believe my eyes. I saw the impact, I saw the kid go down hard, and this muthafucka is standing there not crying or anything just looking at his bike. The white dude was hysterical, lol.

I asked the kid if he was OK and he was just like "yeah" as if nothing even happened. I said we should probably call the cops but all this black boy wanted was for the white guy to back-up so he could get his bike and go home.

So that was that. I'll never forget when I saw that kid get hit and the sound of the guy's tone when he yelled after hitting him. That might be the craziest shit I've ever seen considering how the boy just got up and didn't cry. I thought for sure he was dead.
bojangalz
8/3/12 2:28:20PM
I've gotten pretty numb to accident scenes over the years. I've responded to some pretty ugly stuff. But responding to an emergency with a child involved (regardless of the nature of the call) is pretty tough to deal with. I've got two of my own, and any parent knows that the second you hear of a kid hurt or missing you immediately picture your child in that spot.

Just use what you saw as a stark reminder of how fortunate you are and try to move forward. That's about the best advise I can give. But if you had any feelings of helplessness, consider seeking out training to better equip you to aid in those circumstances. Providing aid to those in need will help you in coping with tragedy. But not only that, you never know when such training may save yourself or a loved one.