I'm scared of...

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » I'm scared of...
Jackelope
6/15/08 11:27:48AM
Melvin Manhoef. Thank God I'm not a middle weight.

I think Manhoef has a serious future in MMA. His striking is so explosive, lightning fast and powerful that it is scary to watch. Once he develops some confidence in his ground game and sprawl the MMA world better watch out. It's probably been said before on here, but I just had to say it for myself.

If I'm Manhoef I take off a couple of months, get myself hooked up with a great wrestling and BJJ team for a bit and polish out that game then take the MMA world by storm.
juanez13
6/15/08 11:41:13AM
yea he is very talented standing, but problem is with DREAM is that the other 3 left are all very good grapplers, so i dont know if he'll go any further....

still i dont think he'll make a big impact on MMA, his main focus has always been K-1, and kind of does MMA on the side, if he ever got serious he could be great, but i think he'll stick with K-1 since he is already Big there......
Mchubb316
6/15/08 12:03:15PM
Manhoef has big power, and is very athletic. I wouldn't be suprised if he wins this tournament. Jacare I think will have a hard time taking him down, and Jacrae's striking is sub par in my opinion. That is if they do end up fighting one another.
Jackelope
6/15/08 12:14:41PM

Posted by juanez13

yea he is very talented standing, but problem is with DREAM is that the other 3 left are all very good grapplers, so i dont know if he'll go any further....

still i dont think he'll make a big impact on MMA, his main focus has always been K-1, and kind of does MMA on the side, if he ever got serious he could be great, but i think he'll stick with K-1 since he is already Big there......

I agree about the ground game and his future in this tournament.

Still, with his strength and athleticism I think a good ground game could take him very far. Damn those dutch and their love for kickboxing! Shine your light on MMA! lol
aaa9erh8er
6/15/08 12:58:15PM
he may have good hands and all but i really dont see him geting by sakuraba who has some of the best submissions in the world. if however he was to take the time to develop into a full mma fighter id be more inclined to agree
npayant
6/15/08 1:02:50PM

Posted by aaa9erh8er

he may have good hands and all but i really dont see him geting by sakuraba who has some of the best submissions in the world. if however he was to take the time to develop into a full mma fighter id be more inclined to agree

What??

The fight is already over and Sakuraba was overwhelmed by Manhoef's standup... dominated!!!
grappler0000
6/15/08 1:03:28PM

Posted by aaa9erh8er

You may want to visit the video section
Jackelope
6/15/08 1:23:31PM

Posted by aaa9erh8er

wolfman
6/15/08 2:00:02PM

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by aaa9erh8er

Hilarious...
ICSlegend
6/15/08 3:25:16PM
early stoppage. he wasn't KOd, and sat up right after the ref called it.

if the ref stopped the smirnovas fight when Saku was getting battered the world would have never known that saku could win.

But yeah, he's almost 40 years old. His speed isn't what it used to be. That first kick shook him up bad, and it was all downhill from there.

Manhoef has a real shot, but his ground game is very suspect.
Jackelope
6/15/08 11:41:59PM

Posted by ICSlegend

if the ref stopped the smirnovas fight when Saku was getting battered the world would have never known that saku could win.

But yeah, he's almost 40 years old. His speed isn't what it used to be. That first kick shook him up bad, and it was all downhill from there.

Agreed that Manhoef has a real shot and that his ground game is very suspect.

I'm a big Sakuraba fan. How can you not love the guy? I don't think the stoppage was early, though. He took a lot of hits. Even though a guy isn't KO'd that doesn't mean getting hit cleanly in the face like that by a beast like Manhoef won't do damage. Good call and I'm sure Sakuraba has no problems with it. The man is a living legend, but he got beat fair and square.
cmill21
6/16/08 1:14:13AM

Posted by ICSlegend

I'm just curious if you know how hard Manhoef hits? Those were clean shots to the face, Saku wasn't going anywhere and he was just going to get seriously injured. It's not like someone with pillows was up there hitting him.
jiujitsufreak74
6/16/08 1:24:19AM

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by aaa9erh8er

89vision
6/16/08 2:55:09AM
im 6'3 220 with a muscular tone but i fear wanderlei silva more than anyone, manhoef is a scary dude too, as is kongo and cro cop, i dont really fear anyone small tbh.... weight advantage, MMA training and a strong chin helps me if them midgets gang up on me
ICSlegend
6/16/08 11:26:55AM

Posted by cmill21

I'm just curious if you know how hard Manhoef hits? Those were clean shots to the face, Saku wasn't going anywhere and he was just going to get seriously injured. It's not like someone with pillows was up there hitting him.

Well I can't know how hard he hits, since he has not hit me (thankfully).

But I assume he's one of the most powerful, if not most powerful, MW striker. It looks like he hits insanely hard.

That being said, CC hits harder.

In any case, Saku can be knocked out, and the fact that he didn't stay down on the mat for a while to recover shows that he was still very much in the fight. It was a legit stoppage in the sense that he was taking a lot of punishment. BUT, Saku has shown that he can take a lot of punishment and come back and win.

Personally, I think there was no way Saku would sub him that early, Manhoef was too fresh. I think Manhoef needed to tire himself out pounding on Saku for a while. Then a beat up Saku would slap on an armbar out of nowhere and win.
cowcatcher
6/16/08 1:10:09PM
first off, that stoppage was just fine, no need to start hooting and hollaring about another early stoppage for this one. secondly, manhoef is scary as hell, and really needs a ground game, but IMO his height is a major liability as well as his lack of a ground game. a wrestler can usually get away with giving up 3-7 inches on another fighter, but with a pure striker that height difference can be a major achilles heel against bigger guys. that said, i too am scared of melvin.
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
6/16/08 1:59:58PM

Posted by cowcatcher

first off, that stoppage was just fine, no need to start hooting and hollaring about another early stoppage for this one. secondly, manhoef is scary as hell, and really needs a ground game, but IMO his height is a major liability as well as his lack of a ground game. a wrestler can usually get away with giving up 3-7 inches on another fighter, but with a pure striker that height difference can be a major achilles heel against bigger guys. that said, i too am scared of melvin.

wolfman
6/16/08 7:03:28PM

Posted by 89vision

im 6'3 220 with a muscular tone but i fear wanderlei silva more than anyone, manhoef is a scary dude too, as is kongo and cro cop, i dont really fear anyone small tbh.... weight advantage, MMA training and a strong chin helps me if them midgets gang up on me

We're not worthy, we're not worthy!!! You're so cool, I wish I was 6'3" with a muscular tone.... Then, I would not fear anyone shorter than me and I would CRUSH midgets who ganged up on me! If I could only be like you. Sorry, couldn't resist....
cmill21
6/16/08 7:10:11PM

Posted by wolfman

Posted by 89vision

We're not worthy, we're not worthy!!! You're so cool, I wish I was 6'3" with a muscular tone.... Then, I would not fear anyone shorter than me and I would CRUSH midgets who ganged up on me! If I could only be like you. Sorry, couldn't resist....

Yeah, i'm not scared of Manhoef, he's shorter then me. The fact that he nearly killed a 6'2 K-1 champion in :31 seconds doesn't scare me either because I'm pretty sure he's not very good and probably hasn't had MMA training.
NatedawgThaM
6/16/08 10:45:15PM

Posted by Jackelope

Melvin Manhoef. Thank God I'm not a middle weight.

I think Manhoef has a serious future in MMA. His striking is so explosive, lightning fast and powerful that it is scary to watch. Once he develops some confidence in his ground game and sprawl the MMA world better watch out. It's probably been said before on here, but I just had to say it for myself.

If I'm Manhoef I take off a couple of months, get myself hooked up with a great wrestling and BJJ team for a bit and polish out that game then take the MMA world by storm.

!!!!!

Except for two things, Melvin already trains with American Top Team which has some very sick BJJ guys. And I don't think he'd have to take time off. JUST STOP KICKBOXING!!! He has a sick chance in MMA but he wastes time kickboxing rather then training his ground game and sprawl. Why waste your time in kickboxing where you easily can get out pointed when you can EASILY ruin even IMHO Anderson Silva's day just because with a 4 ounce glove on his hand, not even Floyd Mayweather would try the stick and move tactics to try and out box since once punch and he's out!!! So if he stopped kickboxing and used that time grappling, IMO he'd be ok!!!

But he's already pretty sick though, I'm just saying he could do wonders dropping kickboxing matches and adding grappling training. But him and Robbie Lawler are smart as hell! They looked sloppy and gassed quickly coming in thinking their sick power and aggression would win titles when all they got to do is be patient, having their opponent wetting themselves while their waiting for that big punch to come at him and then having a better gas tank being more patient. I seriously think he's the guy to beat Anderson Silva since Silva does not get you on the ground, you get him their and get submitted. I don't think he has that good of takedowns.

HE'S THE MIKE TYSON OF MMA!!! WAR MELVIN!!! I got him beating Jacare AS LONG AS HE'S PATIENT!!!! And does not rush in getting off balanced since Jacare could easily take him down with his great takedowns.
Jackelope
6/16/08 11:03:19PM

Posted by cowcatcher

These are my fears about his striking game, too. However, I think it gives him a distinct advantage in certain areas if he transitions to full time MMA.

He's shorter, so his stance is naturally more squat and better for defending takedowns. Sure he'll have problems with a good back-up-and-jab fighter, but with a smart leg kicking game he can slow down the front leg and take a lot of power off of those jabs and really mess up the footwork. I think if he works the legs enough he nullifies this issue.

Posted by Natedawg-

Except for two things, Melvin already trains with American Top Team which has some very sick BJJ guys. And I don't think he'd have to take time off. JUST STOP KICKBOXING!!! He has a sick chance in MMA but he wastes time kickboxing rather then training his ground game and sprawl. Why waste your time in kickboxing where you easily can get out pointed when you can EASILY ruin even IMHO Anderson Silva's day just because with a 4 ounce glove on his hand, not even Floyd Mayweather would try the stick and move tactics to try and out box since once punch and he's out!!! So if he stopped kickboxing and used that time grappling, IMO he'd be ok!!!

I didn't know that he was training with ATT. If that's the case then he's got some great wrestlers to work with on his takedown defense including the clinch. I think he could put Anderson Silva to the test on the feet for sure, too

As for beating Jacare I'm not so sure. Jacare has explosive double legs. I'm truly amazed at how good his double legs are for being a BJJ guy. I'm kicking my own ass for picking Mayhem because I honestly didn't think he'd be able to take Mayhem down like that. That being said, if Melvin catches Jacare on the feet I highly, highly doubt he'll be able to withstand a combo from Melvin "Run for your lives" Manhoef

Jackelope
6/16/08 11:09:47PM

Posted by NatedawgThaM

HE'S THE MIKE TYSON OF MMA!!! WAR MELVIN!!! I got him beating Jacare AS LONG AS HE'S PATIENT!!!! And does not rush in getting off balanced since Jacare could easily take him down with his great takedowns.

Oh, and I see his fighting as more like Jerome LeBanner. I haven't watched too many of Melvin's kickboxing matches, but the way he throws kicks reminds me of the speed, power, and ferociousness of JLB
jiujitsufreak74
6/16/08 11:14:03PM

Posted by 89vision

i don't know man...if you saw these stretchy pants coming at you you should fear them

But to get back to Melvin i think he has a lot of potential in MMA. he is short for a striker, but his explosiveness and quickness make up for it imo as he is still able to land his powerful strikes on taller opponents. i would like to see how he does against Jacare first because he has proven that he has a hard time against ground guys with good takedowns. if he can prove he can keep it standing with Jacare then the fear of Melvin will be instilled upon me. Another thing i would like to see him do is beat a high level judoka (i know he beat Kim, but i am talking more like Dong and Akiyama...both of which have defeated him).

On a side note, where would you rank the winner of this MW Grand Prix on the MW top 10 rankings? i think whoever it is definitely deserves a top 10 bid and if Melvin can pull it off then he will definitely be even more feared at MW. these next few months are going to tell a lot about him and i can't wait to see him fight again.
NatedawgThaM
6/16/08 11:14:49PM
If I didn't just give you props, I'd give you serious props for that last paragraph too. I actually think the fight before Mayhem was more impressive then the fight with Mayhem IMHO. I'm pretty sure you did, but did you see that fight? I know the guy he fought does not have a big MM name like Mayhem but that dude is a ten times better wrestler then Mayhem, and was a superb collegiate wrestler and Jacare took him down with ease.

That's why I think he could beat Anderson too, he makes EVERYBODY his biotch when it comes to grappling. I think he beat Damein Maia in a grappling match since I think my friend who follows great grapplers well told me that if I remember correctly. Jacare should be undefeated but he made the rookie mistake of keeping his chin up and his hands done causing the KO at the hands of a chutebox guy, but if he didn't make that mistake, I think he could have got the KO on the feet.

So if Jacare uses that sick explosiveness to take Melvin down, I agree, it's freakin over in a matter of seconds. But as long Melvins not aggressive and actually counter punches, I think he can catch him. I really hope he does and will pick him since he's one of my favorites and the secondary league means barely anything, but Jacare will probably win, BUT WAR BOTH OF EM'!!!
Jackelope
6/16/08 11:28:19PM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

Posted by 89vision

i don't know man...if you saw these stretchy pants coming at you you should fear them

But to get back to Melvin i think he has a lot of potential in MMA. he is short for a striker, but his explosiveness and quickness make up for it imo as he is still able to land his powerful strikes on taller opponents. i would like to see how he does against Jacare first because he has proven that he has a hard time against ground guys with good takedowns. if he can prove he can keep it standing with Jacare then the fear of Melvin will be instilled upon me. Another thing i would like to see him do is beat a high level judoka (i know he beat Kim, but i am talking more like Dong and Akiyama...both of which have defeated him).

On a side note, where would you rank the winner of this MW Grand Prix on the MW top 10 rankings? i think whoever it is definitely deserves a top 10 bid and if Melvin can pull it off then he will definitely be even more feared at MW. these next few months are going to tell a lot about him and i can't wait to see him fight again.

The clinch seems to be the problem with Dutch strikers vs. Traditional Muay Thai strikers. I'm pretty sure the reasons are obvious, but still... very good point about Judokas.

MW is such a messed up division that it's ridiculously hard to rank. I don't even bother with rankings, but I think Manhoef loses to any great BJJ guy with decent takedowns and any powerhouse greco guy like Dan Henderson. I think Manhoef makes mince meat out of a dude like Rich Franklin or Evan Tanner, though. So the rankings for me are subject to who wins it. If Manhoef wins it I give him low on the top 5, but if Jacare wins it (especially with a win over Manhoef) I gotta put him at 3 or so.
89vision
6/17/08 3:42:37AM

Posted by wolfman

Posted by 89vision

should i have left out the first part then? lol the last part about midgets was a joke man chill
Jackelope
6/17/08 9:40:18AM

Posted by 89vision

Posted by wolfman

Posted by 89vision

should i have left out the first part then? lol the last part about midgets was a joke man chill

It's just that I guarantee you every professional fighter in Dream, the UFC, or WEC would tool every single person on this site unless they're a professional fighter themselves. Didn't we learn in the early UFC's that size can be dominated by skill?
89vision
6/17/08 2:59:17PM

Posted by Jackelope

Posted by 89vision

Posted by wolfman

Posted by 89vision

It's just that I guarantee you every professional fighter in Dream, the UFC, or WEC would tool every single person on this site unless they're a professional fighter themselves. Didn't we learn in the early UFC's that size can be dominated by skill?

i really am not scared of someone at 155 tho... i have a height, reach and weight advantage and a background in wrestling, kickboxing, and jj.....i hope the bigger guys like myself who have training wouldnt be afraid of someone 8 inches shorter with 80 pounds on the guy with probably a 6 or so reach advantage... just sayin im not scared of really anything and hey maybe your right i might get my ass beat by a MW or WW possibly even a LW but im not scared to take the licking (i dont pick fights with people)
Jackelope
6/17/08 4:09:29PM

Posted by 89vision

Posted by Jackelope

Posted by 89vision

Posted by wolfman

Posted by 89vision

i really am not scared of someone at 155 tho... i have a height, reach and weight advantage and a background in wrestling, kickboxing, and jj.....i hope the bigger guys like myself who have training wouldnt be afraid of someone 8 inches shorter with 80 pounds on the guy with probably a 6 or so reach advantage... just sayin im not scared of really anything and hey maybe your right i might get my ass beat by a MW or WW possibly even a LW but im not scared to take the licking (i dont pick fights with people)

well shit if you really wanna break it down like that then I'm not scared of much, either. I've been hit by bombs, shot at and all kinds of crazy shit.. but I don't go around talking about it. Saying "I'm scared of Melvin Manhoef" was more of a figure of speech giving respect to the man for his legitimate striking prowess.