I'm running a marathon tomorrow

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » I'm running a marathon tomorrow
grappler0000
10/20/12 7:09:15PM
I'm running the Detroit Marathon in just under 12 hours. Wish me luck, Playground!
Chael_Sonnen
10/20/12 7:12:05PM
Watch out for the gunfire in the 'D'
grappler0000
10/20/12 7:20:01PM

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

Watch out for the gunfire in the 'D'

No need to worry....I'll outrun it with my pumped up kicks.
BuffaloDave
10/20/12 7:23:45PM
Good Luck Grap!

May Forrest Gump's running skills be with you!!!
infestructure
10/20/12 7:29:08PM
Good luck grap, just don't try to run in the air pocket directly behind a truck.
Sucks when they stop suddenly.
Poor_Franklin
10/20/12 7:29:27PM
good luck! i got out of breath just reading the word "marathon".
george112
10/20/12 7:30:00PM
Goodluck
scoozna
10/20/12 8:13:34PM
good luck Grap...mucho props for anyone fit enough to run anything close to a marathon.
thevoodooninja
10/20/12 9:34:25PM
good luck man
Ordep
10/20/12 10:31:07PM
Good Luck Grappler! Win it for the guy on a Buffalo!
grappler0000
10/20/12 11:06:35PM
Thanks guys, I'll do the PG proud.
KungFuMaster
10/20/12 11:49:59PM
I don't even think I can run 5 miles at a super slow pace.

Good luck on your run.
thevoodooninja
10/20/12 11:53:14PM

Posted by KungFuMaster

Good luck on your run.

yea, i would have to take a couple breaks walking 5 miles
KungFuMaster
10/21/12 12:09:34AM

Posted by voodoo-jitsu

Posted by KungFuMaster

Good luck on your run.

yea, i would have to take a couple breaks walking 5 miles

LOL - I have trekked 5 to 10 miles on some of my fishing trips without stopping but jogging on the other hand - requires a whole lot more energy.
Bubbles
10/21/12 2:07:26AM
do we have a marathon duel brewing between grappler and jjeans?

good luck
cowcatcher
10/21/12 10:12:03AM
Dress warm, I've heard it's cold in the D.

jjeans
10/21/12 10:27:26AM

Posted by Bubbles

do we have a marathon duel brewing between grappler and jjeans?

good luck

Ha Grapps would thrash me unless it involved a swim suit and bike

Good luck grappler!!
airkerma
10/21/12 11:53:47AM
Your avatar may be spooky, but I still wish you the best. Nothing easy about a marathon, no sir-ee.
KungFuMaster
10/21/12 12:26:17PM
To Jjeans and Grappler: How do you breathe while running long distance? I'm not a runner by any means but I've been taught to do short breaths of INs and short breaths of OUTs. For example, for 4 jogging steps - you do 4 short IN breaths through the nose and for the next 4 steps - you do 4 short OUT breaths through the mouth.

I've been bicycling and running and I would appreciate if you guys can give me pointers on how to control my breathing. Maybe I too can run a marathon in 10 years or so.
jjeans
10/21/12 12:30:54PM

Posted by KungFuMaster

To Jjeans and Grappler: How do you breathe while running long distance? I'm not a runner by any means but I've been taught to do short breaths of INs and short breaths of OUTs. For example, for 4 jogging steps - you do 4 short IN breaths through the nose and for the next 4 steps - you do 4 short OUT breaths through the mouth.

I've been bicycling and running and I would appreciate if you guys can give me pointers on how to control my breathing. Maybe I too can run a marathon in 10 years or so.

I don't even think about breathing lol! Just think about everything but what your actually doing and you'll be fine
KungFuMaster
10/21/12 12:38:04PM

Posted by jjeans

Posted by KungFuMaster

I don't even think about breathing lol! Just think about everything but what your actually doing and you'll be fine

Are you serious? You mean there's no secret technique to running long distance? I think there are helpful running tips but maybe because you've been doing it for so long, it is second nature to you. I don't know. If I just run and don't concentrate on the breaths, I get winded very fast. Or maybe I'm just not born to run. But thanks anyway.
jjeans
10/21/12 12:42:26PM

Posted by KungFuMaster

Posted by jjeans

Posted by KungFuMaster

Are you serious? You mean there's no secret technique to running long distance? I think there are helpful running tips but maybe because you've been doing it for so long, it is second nature to you. I don't know. If I just run and don't concentrate on the breaths, I get winded very fast. Or maybe I'm just not born to run. But thanks anyway.

Sorry man haha I've only be training about 12 months or so! Wish I could help, I run without music often as well as it means my imagination can soar higher so you'd assume I'd be able to hear my breathing... Maybe I'm running wrong!
KungFuMaster
10/21/12 12:48:43PM

Posted by jjeans

Sorry man haha I've only be training about 12 months or so! Wish I could help, I run without music often as well as it means my imagination can soar higher so you'd assume I'd be able to hear my breathing... Maybe I'm running wrong!

I don't think you're running wrong. I think you're doing it right without even thinking about it - otherwise you won't be able to run a marathon.
jjeans
10/21/12 1:07:49PM

Posted by KungFuMaster

Posted by jjeans

I don't think you're running wrong. I think you're doing it right without even thinking about it - otherwise you won't be able to run a marathon.

I only did a half
KungFuMaster
10/21/12 3:49:26PM

Posted by jjeans

Posted by KungFuMaster

Posted by jjeans

I only did a half

That's nothing to be ashamed of. Most people will never attempt something as grueling as a marathon. Half is quite impressive if you ask me.
grappler0000
10/21/12 3:52:55PM
Finished in a little over 4 hours. A little disappointed I didn't hit my 4 hour mark, but that's the price you pay for drinking 2 beers on the coarse, I guess. Even though it was PBR, it just sounded too good to pass up. Not too bad for just 2 months of training though. I tore my calf doing a half in the spring, so I literally waited 'til the last possible moment to start training, to make sure I didn't re-injure it...ironically, a short training period was what caused the injury in the first place. Detroit wasn't about to reschedule on my behalf though, so, I'm just glad I'm still injury free.

@KFM - If you can breath through your nose, you're not running fast enough. I've had to run for nearly every sport I've done, so my breathing is pretty natural at this point. I don't take short breaths though. The secret to long distance running is this...acclimation. Seriously, that's it. Acclimate your muscles to running long distances, acclimate your lungs to exchanging heavy amounts of oxygen, acclimate your mind for physically demanding tasks...oh, and proper nutrition. Obviously there are many small details, but that's the gist of it.

@JJeans - I'm a better swimmer and biker than I am a runner

@Cowcatcher - It does get a little cold in the D, but 50's is perfect running weather, so it was all good once the sun came up.

Anyway, I appreciate the support from everyone.
jjeans
10/21/12 3:57:33PM

Posted by grappler0000

:

Ill give you cycling, ill give you running, and a better computer guy, and cooler person but I'm not giving you swimming, kickboxing or masturbator. You'll never beat me at those!!!
grappler0000
10/21/12 4:13:41PM

Posted by jjeans

Posted by grappler0000

:

Ill give you cycling, ill give you running, and a better computer guy, and cooler person but I'm not giving you swimming, kickboxing or masturbator. You'll never beat me at those!!!

I was just busting your balls actually, although it was technically a true statement. To be honest, I was not aware of your mastibatory prowess, but I'll take your word for it
thevoodooninja
10/21/12 6:59:58PM

Posted by jjeans

Ill give you cycling, ill give you running, and a better computer guy, and cooler person but I'm not giving you. swimming, kickboxing or masturbator You'll never beat me at those!!!

the triathlon of the ages