Under-rated fighter in MMA??

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Under-rated fighter in MMA??
Next Page »
hathcock32
2/17/07 2:49:07AM
Underrated fighters in mma.....IMO gabriel gonzaga
hippysmacker
2/17/07 2:58:00AM
I know he's a champion, but I'm gonna say Tim Sylvia. He may have been a little boring im the way he has been so cautious his last 2 fight's, but I find it weird how little repect he gets. Also, Lil Nog. I think he beat Shogun when they fought and is the fighter with the best chance of beating Chuck.
JoeMimic
2/17/07 3:12:30AM
Nate "The Great" Marquardt
Manfred
2/17/07 7:54:46AM
Agreed on Sylvia. I don't think he can beat the top 6-7 in PRIDE, but he's not nearly as bad as people make him out to be. He just looks goofy and says dumb things.
Trapt1nw0nder
2/17/07 9:17:41AM
i also Agree on Sylvia...he for sure is at the top 5 HW...

but i am with the same crowd who hates his guts

dstlvb
2/17/07 9:51:54AM
He might or might not qualify becuase of his stature, but i think Tito Ortiz. After he loss everybody said he was done. Hes the only fighter in a year to make it out of the first round against Chuck(maybe Horn early 2nd). He took Chuck where no one has.
Mayo
2/17/07 12:16:51PM
Drew McFedries - I think he'll be champ someday.
loller90278
2/17/07 1:29:35PM
nick the dick diaz
hippysmacker
2/17/07 1:38:26PM

Posted by Manfred

Agreed on Sylvia. I don't think he can beat the top 6-7 in PRIDE, but he's not nearly as bad as people make him out to be. He just looks goofy and says dumb things.

Wow , I don't like him either , but dang. He's at lesst top 5 , as Trapt1nowder said, in my book. Pride's top 6-7 heavyweight's would be IMO, so if your's are different let me know
1. Fedor
2. Big Nog
3.Josh Barnett
4. Werdum
5.Alek's Emelianenko
6.Sergei Kharitanov
7.Mark Hunt
No matter what order you have them in it's probably a safe assunption those are the top 7 in Pride. Your my boy and all Manfed, but I really disagree with you that he couldn't beat at least some of these guys.

'
BrAeDeN91
2/17/07 1:43:37PM
ricco rodriguez
hippysmacker
2/17/07 1:49:44PM

Posted by BrAeDeN91

ricco rodriguez

That's very good choice, I forgot about him. He got caught by Sylvia, no shame in that, and either lost a close decision to Big Nog, that I thought he either won or at least drawed. Very similiar to the BIg Nog/Barnett fight's in closeness IMO. Then seemed to lose focus. If he ever get's back in shape, I think he'll be at least top 10 again at heavyweight.
Greene33
2/17/07 2:30:43PM
Jon fitch..

4-0 in the UFC
on a 11 fight winning streak. Shouls be in line for a shot at GSP soon and nobody really knows who he is...
THE_AXE_MURDERER
2/17/07 2:31:38PM
Shinya Aoki I think is underrated
Trapt1nw0nder
2/17/07 2:45:25PM

Posted by Greene33

Jon fitch..

4-0 in the UFC
on a 11 fight winning streak. Shouls be in line for a shot at GSP soon and nobody really knows who he is...

who is Underrating Jon Fitch? he just started i predict he will blow up within the next 2 fights

maybe he is underrated by the casual fan,but not by true MMA fans
Jeffanori-Gomi
2/17/07 3:37:09PM

Posted by hathcock32

Underrated fighters in mma.....IMO gabriel gonzaga

I watched Gonzaga's early fights in Jungle Fights. His standup isnt very good but his Ju juitsu is awsome.
fedorwins1
2/17/07 4:20:44PM

Posted by hippysmacker

I know he's a champion, but I'm gonna say Tim Sylvia. He may have been a little boring im the way he has been so cautious his last 2 fight's, but I find it weird how little repect he gets. Also, Lil Nog. I think he beat Shogun when they fought and is the fighter with the best chance of beating Chuck.

Lil Nog is def. underated, but he did not beat Shogun. Shogun had Lil Nog on his back alot and had all the takedowns, the only thing that Lil Nog beat Shogun in is the standup.
shawneth
2/17/07 6:12:44PM

Posted by Trapt1nw0nder

i also Agree on Sylvia...he for sure is at the top 5 HW...

but i am with the same crowd who hates his guts

But he is rated top 5 by everybody making him therefore not underated. I dont think that he is underated, he is just really hated. If you look at all the people who bash Tim for shitting his pants or for be boring, you'll proby see Tim in there Top 10 list anyways. I hate Tim too though
hippysmacker
2/17/07 6:20:16PM

Posted by fedorwins1

Posted by hippysmacker

Lil Nog is def. underated, but he did not beat Shogun. Shogun had Lil Nog on his back alot and had all the takedowns, the only thing that Lil Nog beat Shogun in is the standup.

I guess we just disagree then. I've watched that fight a bunch of times, just popped the DvD in again. Still think, Nog won. Great fight from both guys, hope they fight again soon.
Dadaman
2/17/07 6:27:19PM
Drew McFedries
Jon Fitch
Josselin
HIDEO TOKORO
Masakazu Imanari
Ryo Chonan
Ryuta Sakurai
Roger Huerta
Clay Guida
Ninja
Pawel Nastula
NOBUHIRO OBIYA
Dokonjunosoke Mishima
Krazy Horse
Duane Ludwig
Jon Alessio
Malachi? sp? (guy who trains with Evan Tanner alot and fights KoTC)
Kultar Gil
Eric Pele

my pick though is a tie between Hideo Tokoro and Nobuhiro Obiya, I love both thier styles.

One day Obiya will smash Ishida, destroy Aurelio, devour Gomi, and consume the universe.
Rampage_Soldier
2/17/07 11:35:24PM
Anderson Silva

edit: pre-UFC debut Anderson
Playground_Samurai
2/18/07 12:12:13AM

Posted by dstlvb

He might or might not qualify becuase of his stature, but i think Tito Ortiz. After he loss everybody said he was done. Hes the only fighter in a year to make it out of the first round against Chuck(maybe Horn early 2nd). He took Chuck where no one has.

WOW! You think Tito is underated?? I realize this is your opinion, but it would seem as if you don't pay much attention to what's going on in mma. If anything, he is over-rated. In the past five years, and five years in fighting is a long time, he only has uncontroversial wins over two fighters. Ken Shamrock and Patrick Cote. His wins over Vitor and Forrest are highly disputed. Alot of people think the decisions should have gone the other way.

Despite this, he still gets title shots and has tons of loving and devoted fans. He is still ranked in the top ten in the LHW division, and I know I can name at least, and probably more, ten LHW fighters that would most likely hand him his ass. Just my opinion.

By the way, Horn made it into the middle of the fourth round with Chuck in '05.

As for my answer to the original question of the thread. I'd have to go with Josh Neer. Sure he's lost 3 of his last 5 fights, but his 2 wins were over Joe Stevenson and Melvin Guillard. He's definatly no title contender, but he has potential.
Manfred
2/18/07 12:16:39AM

Posted by hippysmacker

Wow , I don't like him either , but dang. He's at lesst top 5 , as Trapt1nowder said, in my book. Pride's top 6-7 heavyweight's would be IMO, so if your's are different let me know
1. Fedor
2. Big Nog
3.Josh Barnett
4. Werdum
5.Alek's Emelianenko
6.Sergei Kharitanov
7.Mark Hunt
No matter what order you have them in it's probably a safe assunption those are the top 7 in Pride. Your my boy and all Manfed, but I really disagree with you that he couldn't beat at least some of these guys.

'

Maybe Werdum, I really don't believe he could beat any of the rest
hathcock32
2/18/07 12:25:01AM
Sylvias 3. on that list and he could be the top 2.....but they are better than him
fedorwins1
2/18/07 9:36:44AM

Posted by hippysmacker

Posted by fedorwins1

Posted by hippysmacker

I guess we just disagree then. I've watched that fight a bunch of times, just popped the DvD in again. Still think, Nog won. Great fight from both guys, hope they fight again soon.

I agree it was a super super close fight and one of the best fights that I have ever seen. I also pray at night that they will fight again soon lol. Shogun has been looking alittle sloppy lately so Lil Nog could def. pull it out.
nate22
2/18/07 9:43:19AM

Posted by Dadaman

Drew McFedries
Jon Fitch
Josselin
HIDEO TOKORO
Masakazu Imanari
Ryo Chonan
Ryuta Sakurai
Roger Huerta
Clay Guida
Ninja
Pawel Nastula
NOBUHIRO OBIYA
Dokonjunosoke Mishima
Krazy Horse
Duane Ludwig
Jon Alessio
Kultar Gil
Eric Pele

my pick though is a tie between Hideo Tokoro and Nobuhiro Obiya, I love both thier styles.

One day Obiya will smash Ishida, destroy Aurelio, devour Gomi, and consume the universe.

Take away Krazy Horse, Ludwig and Ninja and you got yourself a great list.
fedorwins1
2/18/07 9:51:13AM

Posted by Dadaman

Drew McFedries
Jon Fitch
Josselin
HIDEO TOKORO
Masakazu Imanari
Ryo Chonan
Ryuta Sakurai
Roger Huerta
Clay Guida
Ninja
Pawel Nastula
NOBUHIRO OBIYA
Dokonjunosoke Mishima
Krazy Horse
Duane Ludwig
Jon Alessio
Kultar Gil
Eric Pele

Jon Fitch
HIDEO TOKORO(don't know who he is)
Masakazu Imanari
Ryo Chonan
Ryuta Sakurai
Duane Ludwig

These are the only guys I could see winnning against Anderson, some of the people you listed are not even in the same weight class, they're heavyweights lol.

nate22
2/18/07 10:15:12AM
Youtube it and go find out who Tokoro is, in fact, I don't think I can allow this to happen, Tokoro Highlight

He fights in ZST and Hero's and took Royce to a draw and then beat Royler on New years, has had a good number of losses in his career but some really impressive wins (Pequeno/Mork) fantastic grappler, check him out.

madmarck
2/18/07 10:45:56AM

Posted by Greene33

Jon fitch..

4-0 in the UFC

Fitch cant take the wrestling of a Top 5 WW. Watch his fight with Jeff Joslin. Fitch is getting is ass handed around tilla Controversial thing happend. Fitch stopped the fight on his own accord to get a Doctor to check his mouth. Basically he was in a bad position and he called a time out. Kinda like a verbal sub. And Joslin isnt even a overly strong guy. Karo or Diego would whoop Fitch in under one round.

So would Koscheck. He is also my Pick for most underratted. Wait till his fight with Sanchez and you will see his awesomeness. Besides being the sickest athlete in the divsion (next to GSP) KOS has Wrestling that rivals hughes and KO power that would make most people cry just to think about it. Not to mention he is getting some good RNC's lately.
He isnt the top yet. But KOS will be champ within 5 years.
dstlvb
2/18/07 11:25:59AM
Well this being the beginning of 2007 Tito still had the best showing in a year and a half. My only point was that after the fight, tons of poeple on the board and other boards and poeple i tlak to said Tito was done. Never get another chance, get hinm out of there. That is ridiculous, thats like comparing him to Ken. There is something to be said for what he did with Chuck, considering most belive he is the top 2 LHW in the world, and then almost everyone beliving hes done. Doesnt mesh. As far as HOrn goes your right. If i from what i remember of the fight i belive Tito was in a much better position to win that fight than Jeremey was, and i like Jeremey and thought before the match he could take it.
Snacks
2/18/07 4:01:40PM
Akira Kikuchi, Kuniyoshi Hironaka, ATCH, Kenji Osawa, There's quite a bit.
Pages: [1] 2