Who's next for Randy Couture?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Who's next for Randy Couture?
Next Page »
mrsmiley
8/26/07 9:51:04AM
He took out Silvia and Gonzaga with minimal challenges.So who is next for Couture to fight?
Of course we would all love to see Fedor come over and battle it out with the champion,but we might not ever get to see that.

StorminYourman
8/26/07 9:58:06AM
My Big Nog
nickcuc547
8/26/07 10:07:13AM

Posted by StorminYourman

My Big Nog

i dont think big nog should get it because of his performance against herring, and it would only be his second ufc fight, in my opinion arlovski deserves it but he wont get it, maybe vera if he beats sylva (which i dont think will happen)?
DCRage
8/26/07 10:33:02AM
I read before that it likely would be Nogueira if he won his next fight, but if Cro Cop can destroy Kongo early at 75 that might be enough to get him back in the picture. Vera will probably need to get 2 consecutive wins under his belt when he returns to get back in the picture.
Ydoc
8/26/07 10:43:16AM
All those guys need more wins before fighting Couture... no one has enough going on for them at the moment to get that bout. Really wish Randy could get a chance to revenge a past loss like so many other champions do, maybe against a clean Josh.
AchillesHeel
8/26/07 10:52:30AM
I agree that no one is really on the verge of distinguishing himself as "#1 Contender" right now, and there are a few guys who can make a case for themselves.

I think the UFC will probably give the next shot to Nogueira, even though I agree that he should have another fight. I would have loved to see him take on Arlovski, but I don't know what Dana White is thinking about Arlovski these days.

After that, or at around the same time, we might see the winner of Cro Cop-Kongo against the winner of Vera-Sylvia, to earn the next title fight. I think two decent wins would be enough for any of those guys to get a title shot.

Werdum and Herring are out of the picture, at least for now, and I didn't see Mir's win last night, but I imagine he's pretty far from a title shot also.

I suppose Dana White could have a breakthrough with Fedor's management at almost any moment, and I have to assume that he would get the next available title fight as soon as he put pen to paper.

There are other possible contenders out there, but I haven't read any rumors about any of them coming to the UFC. Kharitonov just signed with K-1, but I think Barnett and Hunt are still unsigned.
Rush
8/26/07 11:03:37AM
It'll be interesting to see what happens. Randy is great, but he's also 44 and can't sit around too long. lol

Also, doesn't he only have one fight let on his contract?
DangerousDjohn
8/26/07 11:03:48AM
I like what AchillesHill said, but I see the winner of Cro Cop and Kongo being thrown into the lions den. Randy might only have 1 fight left...but I think it is 2.
DoTheMMAth
8/26/07 11:05:25AM

Posted by Rush

Also, doesn't he only have one fight let on his contract?

2 fights left
juanez13
8/26/07 11:33:37AM
i think its should be Big nog, one poor showing doesnt mean shit, heath herring is very hard to catch in a submission, and Nog showed that he could stand there and bang, and he looked damn impressive to me, his boxing skills are sharp, in pride herring got out of almost al subs attempts by big nog, until he got caught by the anaconda choke, so it wasnt a surprise to me that Nog didnt submitt him, and this fight means nothing more than a warm up, i think he has proven himslef enough in the past, and doesnt need to prove that he is an elite fighter......
Nacho
8/26/07 11:37:21AM
Randy is going to want to fight soon. He is in crazy shape and can beat almost anyone as a 44 yo. I see him wanting to fight Mirko if (when) he beats Kongo. Brandon Vera is the other possibility I see. Any way, Randy should fight again soon. He has absolutely nothing else to prove though. The man is a walking legend, that transcends MMA into all sports.
Kastro
8/26/07 1:06:08PM

Posted by juanez13

i think its should be Big nog, one poor showing doesnt mean shit, heath herring is very hard to catch in a submission, and Nog showed that he could stand there and bang, and he looked damn impressive to me, his boxing skills are sharp, in pride herring got out of almost al subs attempts by big nog, until he got caught by the anaconda choke, so it wasnt a surprise to me that Nog didnt submitt him, and this fight means nothing more than a warm up, i think he has proven himslef enough in the past, and doesnt need to prove that he is an elite fighter......

I agree... the fact that Nog recovered from that head kick should show the average UFC fan what kind of punishment this guy is used to taking..

I do believe though that Noguiera should have one more victory before competing with Couture, right now I say they give Randy a break and let the #1 contender be determined.. if Cro Cop can beat Kongo decisively I would consider him back near title contention as well...

On another note, I think both Nog and Cro Cop are very bad match-ups for Randy... Cro Cop has everything Chuck Liddell has except he is stronger, faster, has way better kicks, and arguably better takedown defense.

Couture has my respect after last night though, he is definitely the man.
casey64
8/26/07 1:12:52PM
Andre is the next i believe I wonder when he is coming back
GrandMaster313
8/26/07 1:25:32PM
I think Big Nog is going to be the next one in line. I just can't see anyone else (at this moment) who would be next in line. I like the idea of arvloski but if Dana and the Russian's can come to an agreement then of course Fedor should be next.
GDK
8/26/07 1:34:37PM
I think that old man Couture should take on Big Nog
show us that he can put away the old Pride champ
Peronally i don't think he can stand up to those subs.
aceprone
8/26/07 2:48:22PM

I agree with you. It should be Nogeria. He is considered the second best heavyweight in the world, what more does he have to prove? That fight would be a war. Heath Herring can make anyone look bad. He has great sub defense and Nog got caught. But still recovered and got the win. So for sure, they should just give it to Nog.

Fedor would be nice, but he needs to stop hiding behind his managers and speak his mind and tell his managers where he knows where he belongs: UFC!
masodd
8/26/07 3:15:59PM
my personal opinion it will be the winner of kongo and cro cop dont want it to be but most likely will be
roman
8/27/07 10:24:29AM
Big Nog should be Randy's next opponent. His only lost in a year was to Barnett and he revenged that loss already (and Barnett beat Randy you can market the fight that way). He is considered the 2nd best heavyweight in the world so I have no idea why you people think he needs another fight.

If Big Nog is Randys next test I would say (although I have been wrong the past two times) that Big Nog would pretty much be the worst match up for Randy. Great BJJ, awesome chin, and crisp good boxing skills.

Now Randy has been a bulldozer his past two fights, coming in strong and fast and not letting his opponent get in his game. His takedowns and ground and pound have been off the chain and his standup has looked awesome (espeically from the clinch). But Nog is as experienced, if not more, then Randy. We have seen him take brutal BRUTAL gnp punishment from Fedor and his standup is way better then big Tims and Gabes. When he does get takendown, or he gets the takedown, his BJJ is bar none (I know he didn't have his best performance against Heath but Heath is a tough dude).

So if this fight does take place I have Nog over Randy and this time I am positive about it. Lets pray to Satan that this fight does in fact come together cause I would love to see it.
LR
8/27/07 11:37:08AM
Randy is out for the entire month of October, so I'm thinking he'll fight in the December card, maybe November. Heath is not a factor, he's taking a long break. Big Nog or winner of Kongo vs Crocop is a possibility.
Naturaldisaster
8/27/07 11:59:20AM
Arlovski!
nubby
8/27/07 12:17:57PM

Posted by roman

Big Nog should be Randy's next opponent. His only lost in a year was to Barnett and he revenged that loss already (and Barnett beat Randy you can market the fight that way). He is considered the 2nd best heavyweight in the world so I have no idea why you people think he needs another fight.

If Big Nog is Randys next test I would say (although I have been wrong the past two times) that Big Nog would pretty much be the worst match up for Randy. Great BJJ, awesome chin, and crisp good boxing skills.

Now Randy has been a bulldozer his past two fights, coming in strong and fast and not letting his opponent get in his game. His takedowns and ground and pound have been off the chain and his standup has looked awesome (espeically from the clinch). But Nog is as experienced, if not more, then Randy. We have seen him take brutal BRUTAL gnp punishment from Fedor and his standup is way better then big Tims and Gabes. When he does get takendown, or he gets the takedown, his BJJ is bar none (I know he didn't have his best performance against Heath but Heath is a tough dude).

So if this fight does take place I have Nog over Randy and this time I am positive about it. Lets pray to Satan that this fight does in fact come together cause I would love to see it.

So many people were positive that Gonzaga was going to overpower Randy and beat him senseless. Not me, I learned my lesson when he destroyed Sylvia. His age is irrelevant at this point. His abilities are undeniable. Anyone who says Big Nog is going to whip his ass after the showing that Nog had against Herring, is living in fantasy land.
MMAnomale
8/27/07 12:39:07PM
Fedor. If he doesn't sign, then Big Nog, or the winner of Sylvia/Vera, or Arlovsky. I think Nog should have to fight AT LEAST one more fight against a top-5 HW competitor.
johny_rotten
8/27/07 12:52:13PM
In my eyes AA should fight Nog, and the winner gets Randy. After that the winner of Cro Cop/Kongo should fight the winner of Tim/Vera for the following shot.
Jackelope
8/27/07 1:42:08PM
Randy needs to take the stance that he will fight Fedor and nobody else. I'm being selfish and I really want to see this fight. Who cares?
roman
8/27/07 6:33:40PM

Posted by nubby

Posted by roman

So many people were positive that Gonzaga was going to overpower Randy and beat him senseless. Not me, I learned my lesson when he destroyed Sylvia. His age is irrelevant at this point. His abilities are undeniable. Anyone who says Big Nog is going to whip his ass after the showing that Nog had against Herring, is living in fantasy land.

No way. Nog is on a whole other level then Gonzaga and big Tim. Herring is no chump (only god knows what he was doing against O'Brian) and Nog would take it to Randy. I'm not saying it would be a down right smack down but there is no way I would pick against Nog in that match up.

Oh and anyone who thinks Tito is still a top LHW contender is living in fantasy land.
mrsmiley
8/27/07 7:02:49PM

Posted by roman

Posted by nubby

Posted by roman

No way. Nog is on a whole other level then Gonzaga and big Tim. Herring is no chump (only god knows what he was doing against O'Brian) and Nog would take it to Randy. I'm not saying it would be a down right smack down but there is no way I would pick against Nog in that match up.

Oh and anyone who thinks Tito is still a top LHW contender is living in fantasy land.

100% agree
Bowen50
8/27/07 11:00:22PM
i think the winner of Cro Cop Vs. Kongo should fight Big Nog then the winnder of that should fight Couture
bezun
8/27/07 11:39:00PM
Unfortuanatly, Nog may be the only one with the cridentials for a title fight. I agree that he needs another fight, and the idea of AA and Nog with the winner fighting Randy is probably the best idea I have read in this thread. There aren't really any heavyweights in place for a title shot and this could be an opportunity for a heavyweight grand prix at the new years show. Okay thats not going to happen, but unless they sign some big names, Randy is going to have to wait and see who becomes a top contender and is going to have to wait until the new guys prove themselves to the fans stateside. I personaly would like to see AA vs cro cop and the winner face nog for the title shot but it seems like everyone is fighting at too much of a stagered schedule. I would love to see Mir get back into the mix. Mir versus Gonzaga would be f-ing amazing
TheHitmanTL
8/28/07 1:02:25AM
big nog vs. arlovski for number 1 contender match
babytater03
8/28/07 12:41:02PM

Posted by casey64

Andre is the next i believe I wonder when he is coming back

What is Dana doing with Arlovski? I haven't heard anything recently. I think Arlovski has proved he's at least worthy of being in the discussion of #1's. Former Champ, coming off 2 wins, with only defeats in the last 10 fights to Silvia. (Which I think Silvia got lucky in the first fight...)

Just me, but i'd LOVE to see Arlovski v. Couture.
Pages: [1] 2