Will Co-promoting with m-1 actually do more harm then good for the UFC?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Will Co-promoting with m-1 actually do more harm then good for the UFC?
ricoj3323
8/31/08 4:34:49AM
I dont think it will do more harm because its all about what the fans want and making fights that are relevant and having top fighters fight top fighters.The UFC giving the fans top fights and the best shows will just establish what everyone already knows that the UFC is the best organization. The only thing i dont like is how this whole randy thing could have been solved a long time ago and how for 4ever the UFC said they will not co-promote but what made them come to their senses??

What do you think about the possible co-promotion with m-1?
juanez13
8/31/08 8:59:08AM
A co-promotion with M1 for Randy to fight Fedor would be the UFC's way of screwing affliction out of a high profile match up. M1 isnt a threat to the UFC, and taking a blockbuster fight like that from affliction could hurt them. Especially being so that it would affect affliction's plans for other fight (winner aa/barnett to get shot)...There is one downside though, They would be promoting Fedor and getting his face out there to casual fans, which is something they might be concerned about, especially if Fedor beats Randy.
jomatty
8/31/08 10:22:04AM
thats the only issue is the fact that it makes the ufc hw's look very bad when he gets totally dominated by fedor. that said, this is a great thing for mma and has seemed obvious to me for a long time. the fans are the ones who win in this situation.
prozacnation1978
8/31/08 10:37:16AM
i think this will be a one time thing to co promote it won't happen again
Pitbull09
8/31/08 1:57:07PM
UFC won't do it. The mainstream doesn't even know M-1 and probrually Affliction. To keep Fedor and all the UFCs competitors unknown is the best way of not making them a threat.
juanez13
8/31/08 4:11:41PM

Posted by Pitbull09

UFC won't do it. The mainstream doesn't even know M-1 and probrually Affliction. To keep Fedor and all the UFCs competitors unknown is the best way of not making them a threat.

even with the exposure that M1 would get its still highly unlikely they would pose any sort of threat to the UFC. If the UFC doesnt make the Randy/Fedor fight, there is a chance of it happening outside the UFC, which would hurt them more. By making this match up screws Affliction from getting this match, + they would get Randy under contract for the rest of his career, so no chance of rematch outside the UFC. Only downsidefor them as I stated before is that Fedor would get exposure from casual fans, and if its a 1 fight deal he'll get some vievers from the UFC to watch him fight with other orgs.

I think the Pros outweigh the cons.
Rush
8/31/08 5:36:43PM
I don't see Dana coproomoting. Last time he (sort of) did that his golden boy Chuck lost and Dana lost a wad of cash in the process.

SpiderSilva
8/31/08 6:37:47PM
I think they are going through with it cause they saw what Fedor did to a form champ and now know that its time to let the big dog come and play if this happens what does Affliction do? Im sure they were really banking on this fight to happen prob another reason the UFC is putting this fight on
Pitbull09
8/31/08 7:43:04PM

Posted by juanez13

Posted by Pitbull09

even with the exposure that M1 would get its still highly unlikely they would pose any sort of threat to the UFC. If the UFC doesnt make the Randy/Fedor fight, there is a chance of it happening outside the UFC, which would hurt them more. By making this match up screws Affliction from getting this match, + they would get Randy under contract for the rest of his career, so no chance of rematch outside the UFC. Only downsidefor them as I stated before is that Fedor would get exposure from casual fans, and if its a 1 fight deal he'll get some vievers from the UFC to watch him fight with other orgs.

I think the Pros outweigh the cons.

The Affliction getting screwed comments don;t feel to bad imo. Affliction has Fedor fighting for them so if Fedor won, Affliction would prob do better.
Also, you are saying that if Fedor/ Randy happened without the UFC, they would be more hurt than if they copromoted. I don't think the fight would reach mainstream viewers if it wasnt copromoted so it wouldn't have a chance of affecting the UFC rather than having the UFC host it along with Randy losings or winning a hard fight.
If the UFC ignores this fight, it becomes worthless to people outside of the fanbase. People just don't follow everything close enough and for UFC to copromote any org only brings up the outside fighters (Fedor) and org (Affliction) rather than them.

I see more Cons than Pros just because I think Fedor is favored in the fight but good points from you.
Rush
8/31/08 8:51:39PM
A couple other questions I have to ask are

1) If (when) Randy loses to Lesnar, title fight or not (I don't think it is a title fight) why would anyone feel he should be next in line to fight Fedor? I bet you that if Randy loses to Lesnar a lot of people are going to jump off the Couture bandwagon.

2) What's with this long term contract that Randy is signing with the UFC? Is this more about trying to hold the Ace (Randy) and preventing Affliction from getting the big hand (Fedor vs. Randy)?

Kracker_Jap
8/31/08 10:18:55PM
I might be the only one who smokes crack and puts e-bombs on his lucky charms but I think if Randy fights Lesnar he will lose and this thread will be a no contest
Rush
9/1/08 9:48:49AM

Posted by Kracker_Jap

I might be the only one who smokes crack and puts e-bombs on his lucky charms but I think if Randy fights Lesnar he will lose and this thread will be a no contest

word
DoTheMMAth
9/1/08 11:55:54AM

Posted by Kracker_Jap

If the UFC is in fact working on making the Fedor vs Couture fight finally take place, they are smart by having Randy fight Lesnar first.

I'm sure the die-hard Randy fan's that don't mind his behavior as of late will disagree, but I just don't see how he can stop the 500lb gorilla in the room whose greatest strength happens to match Randy's.

If all the rumors are true (that's a big "if" lol) I see it going like this:

Randy vs Lesnar fight takes place.

Lesnar wins, if Randy already hasn't been de-belted, he is now.

Fedor vs popular-but-not-champ Randy is scheduled.

Randy loses, but it doesn't hurt the UFC reputation too badly as he's not the champ anyway. Not like they can do much about Fedor anyway, after Randy he will have beaten all 3 of the most recent UFC heavyweights.

UFC doesn't then have to worry about Randy somehow wriggling out of their legal submission to lend his name for a big Affliction fight. As someone brought out, Joe Average UFC fan (the one's that buy the PPV's and T-shirts, think the sport is called "Ultimage Fighting", and make up a large portion of Zuffa's income) don't know what M-1 is, and probably will forget that it was even mentioned after the event takes place. Even if they get a bit of publicity, I don't see the iron-fisted Russians that run that org breaking into the American scene with a massive splash. Affliction has put forth the best effort thus far, and we're already hearing the non-stop rumors of large financial losses.
Rush
9/1/08 1:30:47PM

Posted by DoTheMMAth

Randy loses, but it doesn't hurt the UFC reputation too badly as he's not the champ anyway. Not like they can do much about Fedor anyway, after Randy he will have beaten all 3 of the most recent UFC heavyweights.

This is an interesting point, but couldn't one say that it will take any stock out of Dana's criticisms of Fedor? I mean, the main critics of Fedor (including Dana) have been that he is not fighting top guys. Well, wouldn't Dana be guilty of not throwing his top guy at Fedor and basically mute all criticisms of Fedor?
bls1919
9/1/08 8:47:30PM
This wont happen, The UFC has too much to lose putting Randy against Fedor. Sorry Randy but your days as #1 have ended. I am not even excited about seeing a fight with Fedor. I think Randy has had too much time off and Fedor seems to be hitting a stride. Randy should continue to work his hollywood connections and make money that way. Because if he fights fedor it will be his last MMA fight. And he better get PAID to do it. to secure his future.
JimiMak
9/1/08 11:03:16PM
It is a rumor and will not happen. Of course it would be bad for them. It's not all about giving the fans what they want, as stated by OP, it's business. Some ppl think that if a fan wants something the companies will just throw all business sense out the window. Besides casual fans don't know or care. Randy/Fedor outside UFC wouldn't even hurt them much.