There's no pro boxer in Couture's camp to mimic Toney

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » There's no pro boxer in Couture's camp to mimic Toney
BigIP
7/22/10 11:41:22AM
"I have no intention and no illusion that I'm a world class boxer," said Couture. "I'm a mixed martial artist. I've won the majority of my fights by taking guys down, putting them on their back and punching the until they don't want to be punched anymore. That's not going to change."

Couture has made interesting choice of training partners to try and replicate what Toney brings to the table. Couture didn't bring in any high level boxers and is working with his usual cast of characters.

Link
tcunningham
7/22/10 12:23:49PM
he may not have a pro boxer in his gym to train with but i just dont see couture coming out unprepared.
c-dub
7/22/10 1:00:45PM
I dont c Randy coming out trying 2 stand with toney anyway I look 4 randy 2 take this fight 2 the ground and try 2 make a example out of toney and finish this fight quickly.
Giant_Ochai
7/22/10 1:18:55PM

Posted by c-dub

I dont c Randy coming out trying 2 stand with toney anyway I look 4 randy 2 take this fight 2 the ground and try 2 make a example out of toney and finish this fight quickly.

Exactly. Randy doing anything else would be idiotic and careless. The last thing Dana White and the Fertittas want to see is one of MMA's all-time greats get schooled by one punch.
BigIP
7/22/10 1:42:20PM
Can you believe Toney caught King MO in a guillotine?
bjj1605
7/22/10 2:14:21PM
This is good news. Randy is trying to build the mentality that he doesn't want to be on the feet with this guy. If he was working on his boxing he might be tempted to try it out. He isn't going to improve enough to stand with Toney any way. It's better to focus on takedowns and urgency to get the fight on the ground.
ncordless
7/22/10 4:53:44PM

Posted by BigIP

In practice, sure. 1) Mo isn't the most seasoned sub guy. 2) Catching subs in practice is normal, and if Mo is doing his job right he is leaving his neck out there once in a while for toney to catch, just in case the opportunity presents itself in a fight. That doesn't mean anything though besides Toney is training with the right people to fight Couture. If Toney can stop a shot from Mo (which I doubt), then Couture could be in for a world of hurt.

If Mo had said that he couldn't take Toney down, then I would be intrigued.
jae_1833
7/22/10 9:10:17PM

Posted by BigIP

No, because his story changed from either a RNC or a Guilly then back....so I am nearly positive he is talking trash.
Pookie
7/22/10 11:14:56PM
James toney isnt going to come into the fight as a pro boxer, hes coming into this fight as a pro boxer doing his best to assimilate.

If Couture brought in a pro-boxer to spar with it would be detrimental, because the sparring partner would be worse at everything Toney is just now learning how to do.