UFC: St-Pierre vs. Silva super fight expected at 180 pounds, in Cowboys Stadium

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » UFC: St-Pierre vs. Silva super fight expected at 180 pounds, in Cowboys Stadium
Next Page »
lohmann
9/5/12 10:19:57AM
If UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre (22-2 MMA, 16-2 UFC) returns from a 19-month injury layoff and can defeat interim titleholder Carlos Condit (28-5 MMA, 5-1 UFC) during an expected UFC 154 clash in November, one of the biggest fights in UFC history could be up next.

As expected, UFC President Dana White said it'll be against middleweight champion Anderson Silva (32-4 MMA, 15-0 UFC).

It's close enough to reality that White has a weight (180 pounds) and venue (105,000-seat Cowboys Stadium) in mind for the super fight.

"I think we're pretty close," White said Tuesday on FUEL TV's "UFC Tonight." "If Georges St-Pierre beats Condit, that could be the next fight.

"These guys want to fight each other now. If you're a fighter and you've dominated as long as Anderson has, and you've been great as long as Georges has, you finally want to say, 'I want to test myself. I think I can beat this guy.'"

link
airkerma
9/5/12 10:23:32AM
Shut the front door! If memory serves me, this is the closest they've been to making the fight since GSP was cage side studying Silva fight.
thevoodooninja
9/5/12 10:32:00AM
For me they're a couple years to late for me to be excited about this
KingCmb
9/5/12 10:52:02AM
oh christ shits getting real....well realish im still not falling for it yet
scoozna
9/5/12 11:05:58AM
Dayumm..it would be awesome...but I won't hold my breath waiting for it to become a reality.
Michael_Corleone
9/5/12 11:19:04AM
There are only a handful fights out there that remotely even get me interested in Anderson fighting right now. Jones and St-Pierre are at the top.

I know there is a lot of buzz about Chris Weidman getting a title shot, but I think its too soon. Yes, I know he beat Munoz. Yes I know he is undefeated. All that is great but the longer he waits and beats more people in the division, the bigger the fight with Anderson will be when they do finally scrap. 1 more high profile win at Middleweight for Weidman, and say Anderson beats GSP, we have a HUGE title fight on our hands in 2013.
prophecy033
9/5/12 11:26:35AM
I've been pretty vocal about being more interested in Jones/Silva rather than GSP/Silva but I'd take this fight in Cowboy Stadium everyday of the week and twice on Sunday
kopower
9/5/12 11:34:41AM
Gsp definitely has the tools to beat Silva. I like the catchweight of 180 too. I am very interested in this fight.
jay98107
9/5/12 11:35:48AM

Posted by prophecy033

I've been pretty vocal about being more interested in Jones/Silva rather than GSP/Silva but I'd take this fight in Cowboy Stadium everyday of the week and twice on Sunday

Stylistically I prefer the Jones/Silva matchup just for potential excitement, but I think the GSP/Silva matchup is more of a toss up. Maybe I've bought into the hype, maybe I just think he's too big, but I see Jones winning that fight. I have no fucking clue who would win GSP/Silva.
jlock003
9/5/12 11:50:45AM

Posted by Michael_Corleone

There are only a handful fights out there that remotely even get me interested in Anderson fighting right now. Jones and St-Pierre are at the top.

I know there is a lot of buzz about Chris Weidman getting a title shot, but I think its too soon. Yes, I know he beat Munoz. Yes I know he is undefeated. All that is great but the longer he waits and beats more people in the division, the bigger the fight with Anderson will be when they do finally scrap. 1 more high profile win at Middleweight for Weidman, and say Anderson beats GSP, we have a HUGE title fight on our hands in 2013.

I agree. I also think if Weidman did get the title fight now and got dominated by Silva it would derail him for a few years. If Silva can get through GSP and maybe Jones (although I don't think that fight will ever happen) the UFC has the option to make that Weidman fight happen if Weidman is still running undefeated. If Weidman gets beat along the way by a Bisping, or a Belcher, or a Stann, or a Sonnen, etc... then he can bounce back more quickly and be far more marketable post Silva than if he gets beaten by Silva now. Of course the other side of that is if he could actually get through Silva now he would probably be the guy who retired the "GOAT" as most people define it and have a huge push. Still seems to me that their is more upside to make the super fights now and let Weidman build up a few more solid wins. The other possibility is for Silva to do the super fights and retire which still leaves the door open for Weidman (or whoever comes up in the next couple of years) to take the torch and run with it. Silva GSP with 100k people (how many people does Dallas stadium seat?) would be epic.
gartface
9/5/12 12:05:29PM

Posted by voodoo-jitsu

I feel the exact opposite. They've both been absolutely dominant the past few years and it's perfect timing with GSP returning.

Here's to hoping it happens!
grappler0000
9/5/12 12:06:51PM
My only wish is that this news would've been saved for after GSP's fight. If GSP loses, this instantly becomes a washed up idea. And that will be a disappointment.
meier
9/5/12 12:11:16PM
Ive honestly never cared about a gsp/silva fight
prophecy033
9/5/12 12:22:46PM

Posted by grappler0000

My only wish is that this news would've been saved for after GSP's fight. If GSP loses, this instantly becomes a washed up idea. And that will be a disappointment.

not just that but GSP can still win but not look like "GSP". We still have no clue how he's gonna look, where his mind will be "IN" the fight.
prozacnation1978
9/5/12 12:27:37PM
I will go for sure.

If I had to guess it would be in march

Regardless if gsp wins or loses I think it will happen
jlock003
9/5/12 1:30:52PM

Posted by grappler0000

I agree but I think it'll create a lot more buzz for the GSP/Condit fight.
george112
9/5/12 1:36:19PM
I will be going to this FOR SURE!!

I've been waiting for another Texas event and that's a badass one to come back on.

Don't really feel like it should be in cowboys stadium though. I feel like there might be a lot of seats open.

Who cares. I'm excited
Shawn91111
9/5/12 2:06:19PM
Only hold up is GSP, he has been pretty firm in the past saying he didnt want this fight or being vague about it. Only recently has there been some sort of Ok with it.

I still wont believe it until its signed.
bjj1605
9/5/12 2:52:04PM
Damn I wish this fight was in Chicago....or at least closer.

I would watch this fight for sure though. I think it's the defining moment of our generation as fight fans.

Unfortunately, I've already let myself get too excited. If there is an injury or if GSP loses to Condit, I might just have a nervous break down.

On a side note, does anyone think this is a bit disrespectful to Condit to announce this before he's even had his shot?? It's like the UFC is counting him out of that fight.
jlock003
9/5/12 3:30:58PM

Posted by bjj1605

Damn I wish this fight was in Chicago....or at least closer.

I would watch this fight for sure though. I think it's the defining moment of our generation as fight fans.

Unfortunately, I've already let myself get too excited. If there is an injury or if GSP loses to Condit, I might just have a nervous break down.

On a side note, does anyone think this is a bit disrespectful to Condit to announce this before he's even had his shot?? It's like the UFC is counting him out of that fight.

Probably very disrespectful to Condit lol, but that doesn't make me less excited.
thevoodooninja
9/5/12 3:56:57PM

Posted by gartface

Posted by voodoo-jitsu

I feel the exact opposite. They've both been absolutely dominant the past few years and it's perfect timing with GSP returning.

Here's to hoping it happens!

i'll be watching and i do hope it happens. a couple years ago i was wanting this fight to happen a lot. now i'm just not that excited about it like i was. maybe its from GSP being out so long or jones hitting the scene. i would much reather see silva/jones
Vero3
9/5/12 5:14:26PM
I have always wanted to see this fight between these two. If GSP beats Condit and Dana White does set up the fight between he and Anderson Silva AND they have it in Dallas-- I AM GOING FOR SURE! I live in Texas-- No way I would miss that!.
Vero3
9/5/12 5:28:07PM
I do too!
BillsNewAccount
9/5/12 5:56:42PM
Where is Chael Sonnen to say 'there isn't enough Vaseline in the world'?

Don't get me wrong, this fight is chill but not nearly as chill as the Nick Diaz v Andy fight DW was so quick to shit on.
infestructure
9/5/12 6:50:51PM

Posted by BillsNewAccount

Where is Chael Sonnen to say 'there isn't enough Vaseline in the world'?

Don't get me wrong, this fight is chill but not nearly as chill as the Nick Diaz v Andy fight DW was so quick to shit on.

Nick Diaz has the wrong style to beat Silva. He would put his hands out and give Anderson a foot rub with his chin a la Vitor Belfort, or he would realise how badly he is outmatched standing and eat a knee.

GSP on the other hand, has the spear tackle like takedowns and grinding style that could let him do what Chael tried and failed to do.

That being said, Anderson will take him apart with his striking, and win by TKO (knees in the clinch)
aussiemma
9/5/12 7:08:47PM
19 month lay off is an eternity in mma even for a freak like gsp. Im not going to get excited about this super fight until i see how gsp goes against condit.

kopower
9/5/12 7:11:10PM

Posted by aussiemma

19 month lay off is an eternity in mma even for a freak like gsp. Im not going to get excited about this super fight until i see how gsp goes against condit.

Agreed. What happens to the super fight if Condit ko's GSP, or if he gets injured during the fight. Let's see how GSP handles the layoff, and Condit, then I'll get excited.
State_Champ
9/5/12 7:14:48PM
GSP as a middleweight?
Ok, I'll watch Anderson knock him out.
NE-1
9/5/12 8:09:02PM
I'll post my comment in a second, just give me a minute to clean out my undies
Franklinfan47
9/5/12 8:26:37PM
Pages: [1] 2