Where's the Pat Barry threads?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Where's the Pat Barry threads?
Rollins
12/28/08 8:51:55PM
Did I overlook them?
Sure, I know he didn't beat the best guy in the world but I assume you saw the re-play of the fight?..?.. He looked good and those kicks will punish any man.

*toasts Pat and ALL the boys from Louisiana and the Deep South....*

Here's to Pat Barry.
Jackelope
12/28/08 8:57:11PM
I was let in the Pat Barry train before the fight ever happened, so I knew it was going to go just like planned. I think a majority of the people on this site knew what to expect, too.
ohiostate1016
12/28/08 8:57:21PM
He did look really good against Evensen. I don't think I've ever seen just 3 leg kicks make a guy want to quit. They must've been some pretty serious shots.

Here's hoping that I never get on Barry's bad side.
cmill21
12/28/08 9:05:21PM

Posted by ohiostate1016

He did look really good against Evensen. I don't think I've ever seen just 3 leg kicks make a guy want to quit. They must've been some pretty serious shots.

He's a very very good kickboxer. The beauty of a crossover like him is that not many know him, even those who follow K-1. It also shows how big the gap is between K-1 striking and mma, he really is middle of the road at best in K-1 and he would be able to out strike any of the UFC's HW's(maybe not Hardonk).
ohiostate1016
12/28/08 9:26:23PM

Posted by cmill21

Posted by ohiostate1016

He's a very very good kickboxer. The beauty of a crossover like him is that not many know him, even those who follow K-1. It also shows how big the gap is between K-1 striking and mma, he really is middle of the road at best in K-1 and he would be able to out strike any of the UFC's HW's(maybe not Hardonk).

I was thinking the exact same thing when picking the fight. I knew of him in K-1, but I knew that he was a little above average at best (let's call him the Karo Parisyan of K-1). That fact made me think twice before picking him, but then I went ahead for two reasons:

-Dan Evensen is carrying around too much weight and stands flat-footed, which makes him the perfect leg kick candidate

-And the fact that K-1 strikers are usually much better than MMA strikers.

I'd just like to see Barry brought along slowly so that he gets time to develop his ground game. He looks like a solid prospect with an exciting future.
Wolfenstein
12/28/08 9:39:11PM
As it was the hot bout many of us were keping tight-lipped on the subject. I think I mentioned it once when there was a news topic about Barry being signed. "Like hey isn't he the K-1 guy that put a hurting on Gay Goddridge?" or something like that.

As Cmill said he's really a middle of the road K-1 guy which shows the disparity between MMA and K-1. In his defense though he was always undersized and K-1 competition is stiff, not to mention the judge scoring is typically horrendous, so much so in fact that there seems to be a deep level of corruption. Absolutely no one in K-1 will ever be undefeated.

Barry looked awesome. At some point it would be a good idea to drop to LHW. The guy loves to eat, but eventually he's going to take a real beating from one of these 260lb wrestlers.

Jackelope
12/28/08 9:50:24PM
I think striking in MMA will evolve to almost the K-1 level inside of 5 years. You already have up and comers who are demonstrating some phenomenal kickboxing. Steve Cantwell comes to mind as a very young guy who can develop his striking into elite kickboxer level. I see a lot of promise in that guy.

I also agree with K-1's corrupt judging. I hate the fact that it is, IMO COMPLETELY corrupt. I am not a huge K-1 fan, mind you, but I've seen some unbelievable judging in K-1.
JimiMak
12/28/08 10:01:11PM
"Where's the Pat Barry threads?"

**raises hand** I KNOW I KNOW: here's one

Rollins
12/28/08 10:04:59PM
He says: I've only been doing ground work for 6 months...don't be fooled (although it's not much more than that), he's saying concentrating exclusively . Sure he's not ready for a great BJJ or wrestler YET but keep an eye on him.

He will punish many a man in the Heavyweight division. Trust me this time non-believers he will do fine and destroy plenty of the top ten Heavy's in the next year or two. He is dedicating himself to MMA as of now so keep this in the back of your mind.
Rollins
12/28/08 10:06:32PM

Posted by JimiMak

"Where's the Pat Barry threads?"

**raises hand** I KNOW I KNOW: here's one

You nut!

Thanks for the support Jimi.
loller90278
12/28/08 10:39:22PM
lets see hardonk vs pat barry now!
Jackelope
12/28/08 10:46:02PM

Posted by loller90278

lets see hardonk vs pat barry now!

I'd love to see the war of the leg kicks, but I think Hardonk deserves better at this point. He's had some solid victories and is starting to make a name for himself as a contender.
Rollins
12/29/08 12:03:00AM
He deserves better in name only, as far as competition at his own game (as much as Pat respects him) he will lose. He is tailer made for Pat. It'll be a 2nd or 3nd rd tko rather than a 1st. Cheick Kongo is subject to victimization as well. Not yet but soon, you will all see. It's just a matter of time before he destroys all top level Heavyweight strikers.

Watch it unfold, I'll be loving every minute of it till he runs into a human blanket wrestler.
cmill21
12/29/08 12:13:38AM

Posted by Rollins

He deserves better in name only, as far as competition at his own game (as much as Pat respects him) he will lose. He is tailer made for Pat. It'll be a 2nd or 3nd rd tko rather than a 1st. Cheick Kongo is subject to victimization as well. Not yet but soon, you will all see. It's just a matter of time before he destroys all top level Heavyweight strikers.

Watch it unfold, I'll be loving every minute of it till he runs into a human blanket wrestler.

I woulden't agree with Hardonk being tailer made for Pat, they're both very good kickboxers, and Antoni is probably on the same level striking wise and Antoni is a fair bit bigger. I would expect Barry to beat Kongo standing though.
Rollins
12/29/08 2:03:53AM
Indeed.

Pat has called Hardonk a stud at kickboxing 1000 times over....he's nobody's fool.
I personally (biased) think he (Pat) will beat him if the time ever comes. IMHO

I'm willing to do an AV bet on this if it ever comes to pass.
MikeyG
12/29/08 4:11:43AM

Posted by cmill21

Posted by ohiostate1016

i like hardonk but he has bad head movement and sanchez showed this the most, barry would likely pick him apart and move away from hardonk and land at will from just being quicker and just as powerful
jiujitsufreak74
12/29/08 4:32:02AM

Posted by MikeyG

Posted by cmill21

Posted by ohiostate1016

i like hardonk but he has bad head movement and sanchez showed this the most, barry would likely pick him apart and move away from hardonk and land at will from just being quicker and just as powerful

Hardonk definitely has some power and good technical kicks, but his head movement is pure garbage. if he worked on straight boxing his striking would be something fierce.
Jackelope
12/29/08 8:06:07AM
I like Hardonk in that matchup, actually. He's got the natural size advantage, and if I'm not mistaken he's a brown belt in BJJ. Pure kickboxing might be a different story, though.
ohiostate1016
12/29/08 10:21:09AM
Speaking of the K-1 and MMA striking, I think that the major reason that most of guys in MMA aren't top-level strikers is because they only really learn one strike: the haymaker (aka overhand right). With the small UFC gloves (which are really just used so that the guys can punch hard without as much of a risk of breaking their hands), using jabs and hooks is really boring when you can just set up a haymaker and knock the guy out. Look at Rashad in the Chuck fight.

I also think that MMA striking is developing, and all that you have to do is look at a guy like Matt Hamill to prove that. Hamill displayed some solid all-around striking against Reese Andy, and he just picked him apart. After watching that fight, it was easy to see why Andy was a 7-1 underdog.

Franklinfan47
12/29/08 12:22:34PM
All I know is, I haven't seen a leg kick that powerful in a long time.
Rollins
2/6/09 12:49:06AM

Posted by Jackelope

I like Hardonk in that matchup, actually. He's got the natural size advantage, and if I'm not mistaken he's a brown belt in BJJ. Pure kickboxing might be a different story, though.

Sorry to bring up this old thread but during the fight with Justin McCully they said he was a blue belt under Rickson. And just being truthful and in no way bashing he was trying for armbars backwards and had no idea how to set up a sub from his back half the time. He was so bad (at the time) I was embarrassed for him and Rickson because it looked like he bought the blue belt a Martial Arts store....it was that bad, he looked nothing even close to a blue belt. Watch the fight again and you'll see what I mean. He well may be better now or was just flustered being in the cage for what I think was his first UFC fight.
copcopps
2/7/09 9:44:05AM

Posted by ohiostate1016

Agreed I was also surprised that a "Pure striker" actually got out of a triangle (granted a sloppy triangle) but still a pure striker usually doesn't have a ground game at all (see Gilbert Yvel, an early Marcus Davis, early Chieck Kongo, ect).

Free tickets on the Barry Train to all
Jackelope
2/7/09 10:32:29AM

Posted by Rollins

Posted by Jackelope

Sorry to bring up this old thread but during the fight with Justin McCully they said he was a blue belt under Rickson. And just being truthful and in no way bashing he was trying for armbars backwards and had no idea how to set up a sub from his back half the time. He was so bad (at the time) I was embarrassed for him and Rickson because it looked like he bought the blue belt a Martial Arts store....it was that bad, he looked nothing even close to a blue belt. Watch the fight again and you'll see what I mean. He well may be better now or was just flustered being in the cage for what I think was his first UFC fight.

I'll have to check it out. Like I said- I don't know a ton about him, but I could have sworn I heard somewhere he is now a brown belt. If he is, and he's that bad.. well, then that's sad. It would be nice to chalk it up to Octagon jitters, but who knows. These dojos are popping up everywhere cranking out "black belts" like nobody's business.
gsquat
2/7/09 10:37:17AM
Although I picked him to win, and he did what I thought he would, he wasn't impressive in his debut. Extremely one-dimensional and a shallow gas tank. That best describes him. If he wins any more fights, they won't be outside of the first round, and they won't be against anyone unlike Evensen.