Ex-Military Celebrities

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Ex-Military Celebrities
Manfred
1/28/08 5:30:07AM
I read recently that Mr Roger's rumored Vietnam Navy Seal, sniper, bad ass service was false. He was too old to even serve in Vietnam and there has never been any proof.

But I got thinking, how many celebs did serve? Here's a few I know of and found:

Chuck Norris - Air Force, Military Police, first took martial arts while stationed in Korea. It's also where he picked up the nickname Chuck (His real name is Carlos)
Pete Rose - Ohio Army National Guard, Training assistant (incl. the post baseball team) and later company cook
George Carlin - Air Force, Aircraft Radar Tech, Kicked out for a long list of incidents incl. drunk driving, missing guard duty and finally making fun of the base commander on air while DJ'ing at a local radio station. He has the list framed.

And of course, Elvis
LayinFrame
1/28/08 5:43:18AM
I had also heard that about mr rogers. i was thinking to myself, Wow, what a freakin badass.

Joe Dimaggio - Baseball star. Entered the US Air Corps at age 29. Special Services.
Kirk Douglas - acting but not yet a star. USN until badly hurt in an accident.
Manfred
1/28/08 6:07:20AM
A few more:

Johnny Carson, USN, Officer on the USS Pennsylvania. 1943-46.
Don Rickles, USN, served on the USS Cyrene during WWII
Regis Philbin, USN, couldn't find out anything else
roadking95th
1/28/08 12:52:02PM
It's amazing. One only has to go back like 50 years and a lot of celebs and politicians served. It's sad that it is not the case anymore.
AchillesHeel
1/28/08 1:20:13PM
Lots of celebrities served in the Second World War. I can't confirm all of these, but here are just a few...

Sir Alec Guinness (Obi-Wan Kenobi in Star Wars) and James Doohan (Scotty in Star Trek) participated in the D-Day landings in Normandy.
Donald Pleasance (Halloween) was in the Royal Air Force, and was shot down over Europe and held captive by the Germans.
Col. Jimmy Stewart earned a Distinguished Flying Cross and a French Croix de Guerre as a bomber pilot in the Army Air Corps in Europe.
Clark Gable was a gunner on a B-17 in Europe.
Eddie Albert earned a Bronze Star during the battle of Tarawa (he was Navy, iirc, not Marines).

Some famous "tough guys" who really were tough guys...
Charles Bronson was a gunner on a B-29 in the Pacific.
Lee Marvin didn't just play Marines in the movies, he earned a Purple Heart on Saipan.
Jack Palance survived a B-17 "emergency landing" in England, which is where he got the scars on his face.
James Arness, of "Gunsmoke", was wounded at Anzio.

And would you believe that Mel Brooks was a Combat Engineer during the Battle of the Bulge, and Charles Durning earned a Silver Star as a US Army Ranger at Normandy?

And lest you think the guys were the only ones in there...

"The French Chef", Julia Childs served with the Office of Special Services, and Audrey Hepburn assisted the Dutch Resistance (she was in Arnhem during Operation Market Garden, and her uncle was executed right in front of her for his role in the resistance).
Daddyprimetime
1/28/08 2:54:35PM
The ultimate badass.

R. Lee Ermey

madmarck
1/28/08 3:54:33PM
Randy Orton served in the Marines but was kicked out for going AWOL for like over 90 days.
Manfred
1/28/08 5:14:34PM

Posted by madmarck

Randy Orton served in the Marines but was kicked out for going AWOL for like over 90 days.

Don't follow wrestling so I didn't know who he is. Had to look it up.

Orton enlisted with the United States Marine Corps. He was dishonorably discharged about a year later, after going AWOL on two separate occasions, and disobeying an order from a commanding officer. Under the Uniform Code of Military Justice, Private First Class Orton was tried and convicted under a special court-martial, and was put into a military prison for thirty-eight days.
madmarck
1/28/08 8:42:10PM

Posted by Manfred

Posted by madmarck

Don't follow wrestling so I didn't know who he is. Had to look it up.

Orton enlisted with the United States Marine Corps. He was dishonorably discharged about a year later, after going AWOL on two separate occasions, and disobeying an order from a commanding officer. Under the Uniform Code of Military Justice, Private First Class Orton was tried and convicted under a special court-martial, and was put into a military prison for thirty-eight days.

I remember him saying it on a interview soon after he joined WWE. He said he got bored one day and just hopped on a Greyhound and came back 90 odd days later. Said he regreted it and it was the worst mistake of his life. I dont really follow wrestling anymore. It has become to much acting for me and not enough of actual matches.
bezun
2/4/08 4:40:48PM
Mr Rogers was a Marine sniper in Korea. not scary at all.
Rush
2/4/08 4:48:45PM

Posted by Daddyprimetime

The ultimate badass.

R. Lee Ermey

What is your malfunction private?!?! lol

Him and Al Matthews are the best.
Jackelope
2/4/08 4:51:00PM
Thats funny.. it just shows you how hollywood has progressed and how wars have progressed. Any of the WW2 guys mentioned all served a vital and very dangerous role. Any of the newest guys were all ******* POGs