UFC's Middleweight Division (Besides Silva)

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » UFC's Middleweight Division (Besides Silva)
Next Page »
JackHammerXXX
7/12/08 5:42:10PM
I want to know if and what matchups people think there are out there? With Silva ruling, although an Okami upset is not ruled out... but if Anderson continues how he's done, how much do we have to look forward to?
Hendo rematch?Bisping...,Leites,or when WEC's division gets axed will they work a Silva Filho matchup?not likely. (Silva has been quoted on saying he wouldn't fight Filho)
Just want to know what people want and think the division's in store for next year or two
Jipper
7/12/08 5:43:40PM
Just when you think a division has nothing left after Jon Fitch a Thiago Alves comes along, so ya never know.
tomsmith17381
7/12/08 5:47:06PM
Bisping is gonna take a run at silva not sure he is a match for him but he is more than a match for the rest of the division
ohiostate1016
7/12/08 5:52:10PM
Don't forget about Demian Maia. He should be ready for a big fight soon (after he beats MacDonald, maybe), and then he could possibly get a shot at Anderson in a year or so.

I'm not sure if even Silva (a BJJ black belt) can hang with Maia on the ground.
eyeforeigneye
7/12/08 6:03:30PM

Posted by ohiostate1016

Don't forget about Demian Maia. He should be ready for a big fight soon (after he beats MacDonald, maybe), and then he could possibly get a shot at Anderson in a year or so.

prozacnation1978
7/12/08 6:10:10PM
the division is good amazing what a year makes from weakest to great
i would be crazy to say the same thing next year with the heavyweight divsion
silva has some threats
bisping, cote, hendo, maia
i hope wandy drops,
if the ufc were to sign ricardo arona have him fight at middleweight
drop the wec middleweights and add chael and paulo to ufc
CantAndleDaRiddum
7/12/08 6:18:23PM

Posted by eyeforeigneye

Posted by ohiostate1016

postman
7/12/08 6:36:12PM

Posted by ohiostate1016

But Im quite sure Maia can't hang with Anderson on his feet.
Matimus
7/12/08 6:57:59PM
its the year of changing weight classes, I wouldnt be surprised if some Light Heavies dropped down with the recent division stacking which opens a whole new book of possibilities
Kastro
7/12/08 8:37:46PM

Posted by Jipper

Just when you think a division has nothing left after Jon Fitch a Thiago Alves comes along, so ya never know.

Exactly.. the sport is growing so fast and there are so many people getting into it there is always going to be new threats arising in any weight class..

Silva is ruling right now.. but eventually someone will take the cake, I guarantee it.
Purge
7/12/08 8:43:50PM
The middleweight division without Anderson would be like South Park-Canada, without Terrence and Phillip (if you saw the movie you'd know what I mean).

Anyway the only reason I look at the middleweights, is because I want to see who has what it takes to maybe snatch Anderson's belt.

In my eyes (and Joe Silva's dark conscience) Okami and Cote will get whipped worse than Kuntakinte, but Demian Maia might have a good shot, with his insane flexibility and BJJ.
seanfu
7/12/08 9:29:03PM
I just hope Maia has some mean wrestling with his jiu litzu cuz just assuming he can pull guard and win against Silva is a crazy statement. IMO Silva runs through him.

Hendo can Beat Silva if he goes out and trains clinch takedown and lay and pray but he will not finish silva.

The division is ironically overhyped now. It is not stacked. The lighweight dicision is another example. Lightweight is overrated. Other than a few top tier guys we have a bunch of youngsters that will eventually be the next generation of those elite fighters.

MW in the UFC is dead, but it is such a small price to pay for having 2 dead divisions and 2 stacked ones where you basically own all the stars and an eventual stacked LW division.

I say MW should need another year before people start hearing Dana White say it on TV and beleiving exactly what he says. Talented guys, check, elite guys no. Maybe 3 to 4 of the top 10. Get Lawler, the Cerial killer back, Starnes back, Kang (maybe), And I might give it consideration.
casketcoin
7/12/08 9:33:28PM
Palhares- Almeida would be good
Marquardt -Lutter
Franklin-Henderson must see
McFedries-Leben
Kampmann-Bisping
Belcher-Quarry
Marquardt-Almeida (rematch)
candynuts
7/12/08 9:41:30PM
I think the MW division is starting to beef up imo. Its actually not too bad, its just that there is a beast sitting with the belt.

I think Okami can last the longest against Silva, Okami is reaching his physical peak and maturity.

Bisping is looking pretty damn impressive so far at 185, and I really like Martin Kampmann, I think he can make waves in the division by the end of the year tbh.
crazedfan
7/12/08 10:45:17PM

Posted by seanfu
Get Lawler, the Cerial killer back, Starnes back, Kang (maybe), And I might give it consideration.

Lol. Are you serious? Kalib Starnes, you mean the guy who lost a fight 30-24? And Denis Kang, aka one of the most overrated fighters in the last couple years? And Travis Lutter, someone who has already lost to Anderson Silva? Yeah, no thanks. Of your "list," if you can call it that, Robbie Lawler is really the only one who would actually make any sense.
MMAcca
7/13/08 12:46:07AM

Posted by seanfu

Get the Cerial killer back, Starnes back, Kang (maybe), And I might give it consideration.

I'm sure that sentence would be considered trolling by most MMA fans
Pitbull09
7/13/08 1:52:33AM
Maia is the only guy I like watching in the division other than Henderson and Silva. I am guessing after Okami (if he wins), there will be the rematch with Henderson and then Leites or Demian. The division really is weak so I can see these guys getting shtos earily then they should unlike WW where you get shots way later than you should (Ex Alves and Fitch)
bow_down1991
7/13/08 5:35:01AM
As far as Im concerned, Anderson Silva is going to have his belt for awhile. Although Hendo could take it, one has to realize that you would have to fight a perfect fight against Anderson. I mean, look at Hendo, he had that first round won, he couldnt close on the ground, then in the second round, Silva capitalized on his mistakes, if you get Silva on the ground, you dont want him to get back up.

I think the next runner up for the title shot beside Hendo, would be Bisping. I figure that would be a good stand-up fight, until Silva gets bored of it. Maybe Wandy could take it if he dropped down. . .
Matimus
7/13/08 7:20:01AM
okami will beat silva.
Gipper
7/13/08 8:39:35PM
in my mind the ufc mw division is stacked:
hendo, franklin, okami, cote, leben, kampmann, almeida, marquardt, bisping, macdonald, maia, quarry, mcfedries, leites and with filho and sonnen under zuffa contracts. thats a pretty stacked division. as soon as someone beats silva it will open up the whole division. untill then it's a battle for the no.1 contender.
JimmieDD
7/13/08 8:47:35PM
The 185 lbs division is sorta weak rihgt now..
F--K_Luck_AuH2O
7/13/08 9:36:16PM
Almeida could rebound...Maia is up there.

ohiostate1016
7/14/08 9:47:29AM

Posted by postman

Posted by ohiostate1016

But Im quite sure Maia can't hang with Anderson on his feet.

Ah...touche. But who can?

Dan Henderson can for about a round, and he's one of the top strikers in the division. We all saw what he did to Chris Leben and Rich Franklin, both known mostly as strikers.

What I'm saying is that Demian (and possibly even Okami) have a shot because they might be able to control Anderson on the ground. Demian has sick BJJ, and he's possibly one of the top players in the sport. Okami can ground and pound, and if he can get Silva on his back, then it's anyone's guess what can happen in that fight.

By the way, Bisping has no shot. Sure, Bisping is a decent striker, and he is probably a little more technical than Silva, but he doesn't have the power or elite-level striking of Anderson. Bisping is basically a poor man's Forrest Griffin, only without as much heart.
seanfu
7/14/08 5:05:48PM

Posted by crazedfan

Posted by seanfu
Get Lawler, the Cerial killer back, Starnes back, Kang (maybe), And I might give it consideration.

Lol. Are you serious? Kalib Starnes, you mean the guy who lost a fight 30-24? And Denis Kang, aka one of the most overrated fighters in the last couple years? And Travis Lutter, someone who has already lost to Anderson Silva? Yeah, no thanks. Of your "list," if you can call it that, Robbie Lawler is really the only one who would actually make any sense.

Lawler is a top guy, Lutter is a top 185er, OMG he lost to Silva, he must suck. You sound moronic with that claim considering Anderson is considered the best fighter... IN THE WORLD. moronic. Starnes is a guy who beat some names and was on his way up until he had a brainfart. As much as I crack on him he doesn't suck because of one screwup. And Kang has just had a mental breakdown after being seemingly unstoppable for a number of years.

I'm sure in your vast experiance of watching PPV's and making arrogant remarks while chugging a beer and complaining about when fights go to the ground you would know all of this. Oh, I'm sorry great experianced PPV watcher, I didn't mean to challenge your infinant knowlege.
asterisk
7/15/08 12:57:56AM

Posted by seanfu

Posted by crazedfan

Posted by seanfu

Lawler is a top guy, Lutter is a top 185er, OMG he lost to Silva, he must suck. You sound moronic with that claim considering Anderson is considered the best fighter... IN THE WORLD. moronic. Starnes is a guy who beat some names and was on his way up until he had a brainfart. As much as I crack on him he doesn't suck because of one screwup. And Kang has just had a mental breakdown after being seemingly unstoppable for a number of years.

I'm sure in your vast experiance of watching PPV's and making arrogant remarks while chugging a beer and complaining about when fights go to the ground you would know all of this. Oh, I'm sorry great experianced PPV watcher, I didn't mean to challenge your infinant knowlege.

Lutter a top 185er? Maybe he should get a part time job to cover the cost of filling his gas tank...
Believe-in-judo81
7/15/08 5:07:01PM
No love for Dong Hyun Kim? He's still developing somewhat, and not yet at his peak physically, but he has amazing skill and almost GSP level well-roundedness, not to mention his athleticism and that weird lanky build that seems to give fighters trouble at times. I'm not saying he can beat Anderson now, but of all the up and comers currently on the UFC's roster and any rumoured potential new guys he's the one man that stands out to me as an obvious future champion and great fighter.
seanfu
7/15/08 5:30:16PM
Yeah, Lutter is a top guy, he is really good, he's just a mental punk who won't train cardio, but he wins anyway because he's such a technical beast.
crazedfan
7/15/08 5:30:44PM

Posted by Believe-in-judo81

No love for Dong Hyun Kim? He's still developing somewhat, and not yet at his peak physically, but he has amazing skill and almost GSP level well-roundedness, not to mention his athleticism and that weird lanky build that seems to give fighters trouble at times. I'm not saying he can beat Anderson now, but of all the up and comers currently on the UFC's roster and any rumoured potential new guys he's the one man that stands out to me as an obvious future champion and great fighter.

He's a welterweight.
>_>
Otherwise, I completely agree.
Believe-in-judo81
7/15/08 8:57:26PM
Bah, my mistake, somehow forgot he was at 170 now.
Aaronno9
7/15/08 10:04:55PM
I personally think the MW division is stacked right now. Almedia had a bad showing against cote, but hes legit and i still think hes going to be a threat once he shakes off the ring rust. Thales and Nate just had an awesome war where they both showed some pretty good skills. Dean Lister and Maia are probably the top two bjj guys at 185 with mabeys ronaldo. Mike Bisping might not be number one contender material yet but hes making waves at 85, even the gatekeepers like herman and mcdonald aren't going to be push overs for anybody.

As im writing out this list other good guys just keep popping into my mind, okami, leben, quarry, day, belcher.... mabeys even Amir. I think Cotes legit to, i mean, i didnt see the fight so i dont know what happened but he subbed mcdonald, another guy with a highly rated ground game, and hes ko'd jason day, who gained alot of stock after beating belcher up and people gave bisping alot of credit for beating him. Both these fights where outside the ufc though so Patrick doesn't get as much credit for them compared to the credit im sure hed get if both those wins had been in the octagon.

I really think its an underrated division, im sure i even missed guys off that list. Theirs so many good fights waiting to happen. If theirs a week division in the ufc its far and away the HW division.

Edit - i just realised how much this post doesn't flow, but i think you get the point im making.
Pages: [1] 2