What's next for Middle Weight Divixion?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » What's next for Middle Weight Divixion?
stand-ups_are_gay
10/16/07 1:47:17PM
After Franklin v. Silva II, the obvious next choice is a unification bout with Hendo. But then what? Who deserves the next shot at the title,
JWils
10/16/07 2:06:25PM
Henderson has said that he does not what to drop to 185. But, I really hope he changes his mind because that would give the 185 lbs division a big boost.

But if he doesn't, I would say the winner of Okami/MacDonald will get the next shot IF Silva beats Franklin again.

If Franklin pulls the upset, I think we'll have Franklin/Silva III in a few months.

Also, I would argue that it would be smart (if possible) for Bisping and Rashad Evans to drop to 185 after their fight in November. If Hendo, Bisping, & Evans all drop, the division will be pretty strong, IMO.

Realistically, I would guess only one will drop to 185. that will be the loser of the Bisping/Evans fight.
stand-ups_are_gay
10/16/07 2:15:11PM
I think if Silva beats Franklin that makes for a boring next title fight. McDonald and Okami both got demolished by Franklin on his return path, and I dont see either one of them having a legit shot against Silva IMO.

I like the loser of Evans v. Bisping moving down, Both will be bigger. MW but I still think Silva gives both of them problems on the feet. Look for Silva to have the belt for a long time. Matt Hughes Status
HulkRage
10/16/07 2:17:52PM
I would love to see Hendo drop to 185, so that Silva can unify the belts.
After that I see nothing but Silva domination.
Filho would be the only other one that maybe could stop Sylva, but they are team mates.
loller90278
10/16/07 2:44:45PM
martin kampmann gonna be back in 2008 so i think he'll stir things back up
loonytnt
10/16/07 3:40:57PM
dan is not signed by the ufc atm
nickcuc547
10/16/07 3:57:06PM
if hendo drops down he will get the next shot at silva and he will take the title, if not the okami mcdonald winner is the next deserving which is pretty unspectacular. imo the ufc should call up some of those middle weights from wec, fihlo, trigg or mayhem, that would make the division stronger. not getting kang was a big disappointment.
Lay_N_Pray
10/16/07 6:45:17PM
There are a few people, who if they get active, can make a case for a title shot.

Thales Leites: 3 wins in a row and an exciting fighter to watch, at least I think so. He would need a fight against the McDonald/Okami loser, and then he should be awarded one.

Ed Herman: His match with David Terrell should have huge title implications. Whoever wins that fight could get a shot. Terrell may have to win another if he beats Herman.

Patrick Cote: Despite a horrible record, he pulled off an upset against the "uncrowned #1 contender" Kendall Grove. He needs a fight against Marquardt and a miracle win over him would get him there.

Quarry and Leben are on the rise...

Grove and Martin are really hurting from the previous losses or else those two both looked to be on the title track.

Also the second Kampmann and Tanner come back they should get a shot.

hook_tothe_body
10/16/07 8:48:51PM

Posted by Lay_N_Pray

There are a few people, who if they get active, can make a case for a title shot.

Thales Leites: 3 wins in a row and an exciting fighter to watch, at least I think so. He would need a fight against the McDonald/Okami loser, and then he should be awarded one.

Ed Herman: His match with David Terrell should have huge title implications. Whoever wins that fight could get a shot. Terrell may have to win another if he beats Herman.

Patrick Cote: Despite a horrible record, he pulled off an upset against the "uncrowned #1 contender" Kendall Grove. He needs a fight against Marquardt and a miracle win over him would get him there.

Quarry and Leben are on the rise...

Grove and Martin are really hurting from the previous losses or else those two both looked to be on the title track.

Also the second Kampmann and Tanner come back they should get a shot.

I agree with you. I really like watching Thales Leites. He completely dominated Pete Sell, beat the crap out of him. Sometimes it was kind of hard to watch. But I hate watching ground and pound, its so brutal. When both guys are on the feet throwing bombs its even playing field, but when someone is using GnP the guy on the bottom can't throw bombs back. But anyway, that's not what this thread is about.

I want to see Patrick Cote fight Anderson Silva. While the fight was on the feet, it would be a stand up war. While I don't think Cote is anywhere near Silva, Cote is a really good boxer. It would be sweet if Cote and Silva just threw bombs until someone got clipped and knocked out.

Winner of Terrell/Herman should be pretty close to getting a title shot, provided its a good performance.

But yeah, the Middleweight division isn't very deep. I wish Jeremy Horn would fight regularly, wish Jason Miller would get moved up to UFC, hopefully Ryo Chonan does some 185 fights, get Joe Doerksen back up. There are good fighters at 185, just most of them aren't with the UFC right now.
TheHitmanTL
10/16/07 8:56:34PM
i think if bisping drops he could possibly beat anderson IMO that would be a huge slugfest and i wouldnt see that fight making it out of the first couple of rounds
hook_tothe_body
10/16/07 9:57:12PM

Posted by TheHitmanTL

i think if bisping drops he could possibly beat anderson IMO that would be a huge slugfest and i wouldnt see that fight making it out of the first couple of rounds

I don't see Bisping beating Anderson at all.

Bisping does have some damn good ground and pound but Anderson Silva is way better than Bisping on the feet and on the ground. Standing, I just don't see Bisping getting a good enough punch to KO Silva, Silva has some sick footwork and is way more technical with his striking than Bisping. And Silva is a black belt in brazilian jiu jitsu under the Noguera brothers. So enough said about his ground game.

Yeah ... I just don't see it happening.
warglory
10/16/07 10:23:29PM
They need to bring in some fresh blood like Denis Kang and Kazuo Misaki.

I also think that with the acquisition of Chonan, he could potentially move up to 185 if his welterweight stint doesn't work out.

Others to watch out for:

Ed Herman
Kampmann
Starnes
Perhaps bring over Doerkson from WEC?
hippysmacker
10/17/07 3:41:41AM
I don't see anyone but Hendo and Filho having a good shot of beating Anderson. I do like the idea of Rashad dropping down though.If he could be a little more aggressive I think he would be a beast at that weight