UFC's Martin Kampmann considering move to 170 pounds

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » UFC's Martin Kampmann considering move to 170 pounds
POLL: Should Kampmann drop to 170?
Yes 85% (33)
No 15% (6)
Twenty20Dollars
9/8/08 5:46:48PM
linkage

Coming off his first-ever UFC loss -- and just the second defeat of his professional career -- UFC middleweight Martin Kampmann (13-2 MMA, 4-1 UFC) could finally pull the trigger on a move down to welterweight.

Over the weekend, Kampmann told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that he's been considering a drop to 170 pounds.

The Xtreme Couture fighter said he's received encouragement from many of his teammates, including team leader and current UFC heavyweight champion Randy Couture.

Kampmann, 26, fought this past weekend at "UFC 88: Breakthrough" in just his second fight back since a significant knee injury (and two subsequent knee surgeries) that kept him sidelined for more than 16 months. Although he returned with a quick submission victory over Jorge Rivera in June, Kampmann suffered a first-round TKO to Nate Marquardt this past weekend.

Kampmann mentioned the possible move to welterweight prior to the loss.

"On the morning of (UFC 88) weigh-ins, Martin was eating breakfast with nothing to worry about," said Kampmann's agent, Ken Pavia. "He's been considering the move for a while now. He's a pretty small middleweight."

Kampmann had been considered a top middleweight contender prior to UFC 88. With the loss, he's now at least a few fights -- and possibly more than a year -- away from a shot at the belt, which is currently held by Anderson Silva.

However, things wouldn't get much easier in the UFC's deep 170-pound division. A small army of contenders -- including Diego Sanchez, Thiago Alves, Jon Fitch, Josh Koscheck and Mike Swick, just to name a few -- are jockeying for the chance to fight current title-holder Georges St. Pierre. (St. Pierre, though, is expected to first fight current lightweight champ B.J. Penn on Jan. 31.)
wolfman
9/8/08 5:48:42PM
Makes sense to me as he does look small at 185, but we all know that the WW division is more stacked than the MW. Yet, more power to him and if he does make the move I wish him the best.
Twenty20Dollars
9/8/08 5:54:02PM
Tell you what, he provides some exciting match-ups at 170. Dont know if he will run through the WW division as he did with the 185 division till marquardt.

But I am hoping for some success for him at 170 if that is his choice.
wolfman
9/8/08 6:00:35PM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

Tell you what, he provides some exciting match-ups at 170. Dont know if he will run through the WW division as he did with the 185 division till marquardt.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing as he does provide a lot of exciting match-ups!
xphycorx
9/8/08 6:01:00PM

Posted by wolfman

Makes sense to me as he does look small at 185, but we all know that the WW division is more stacked than the MW. Yet, more power to him and if he does make the move I wish him the best.

i agree with you. he is a small mw. i think he could fair very well in the ww division.
nickcuc547
9/8/08 6:03:04PM
good decision for him if he does it, he is very skilled both standing and on the ground, but he doesn't have the power to hang with the big boys at 185, he does at 170 and he will make the division even more stacked than it already is.
Pookie
9/8/08 6:47:43PM
he matches up well with the WW division IMO, his bjj and size can cause alot of problems.
RMFG_187
9/8/08 6:55:58PM
he would stop Alves, but not GSP
postman
9/8/08 7:10:57PM

Posted by RMFG_187

he would stop Alves, but not GSP

I don't think he could hang with Alves. He seemed to have trouble with Nates power and Alves is very powerful.
wrona666
9/8/08 7:30:47PM
I think he would be very exciting at WW.....Lots of interesting matchups there......He did look a lot smaller then Nate in that last fight i dont think he should have a problem dropping to 170....
postman
9/8/08 7:40:32PM

Posted by wrona666

I think he would be very exciting at WW.....Lots of interesting matchups there......He did look a lot smaller then Nate in that last fight i dont think he should have a problem dropping to 170....

No he shouldn't he walks around at 190
bullettdodger
9/8/08 7:43:13PM

Posted by wolfman

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing as he does provide a lot of exciting match-ups!

My sentiments as well guys, I hoped he would be able to hang with Nate this past weekend but should have known in my head it just wouldn't happen. If Kampmann moves down to WW i think he'll have much success and have a better chance against everyone in that divison going in than he did at MW at the very least. All the best to Martin, i know he has to be hurting after such a lopesided loss
haggiswashere
9/8/08 9:18:18PM
god why is everyone moving away from middle weight??!!
Wolfenstein
9/8/08 10:40:29PM
He was very small for a MW. I don't think he cut any weight as he was typically a couple pounds under at weigh ins.

It was obvious at the weigh ins that he was severely undersized against Marquardt.

I wonder why he doesn't just bulk up. He has the frame to carry a lot more weight. He's naturally probably better suited for the 170 division but he's done quite well at 185. If he would at least bulk up to 195 and then make a cut before the weigh ins he wouldn't be at a disadvantage. I think that would be easier for him rather than trying to cut from 185 on an already lean body.
jae_1833
9/8/08 11:26:23PM

Just bulk up a little, he is a professional athlete and should know how to do it properly. Not to mention, there are still a lot of great match ups for him at MW; Leben, Bisping, Cote, Drew rematch, and Hendo are all top competition, and with his record at that weight I see no reason to change Divs.
RMFG_187
9/9/08 1:28:49AM
bulking aint the solution, cutting would be better for him. NO WAY is Alves stronger than Nate or even McFedries to name a few. Those guys are Big MW's, and if he can make it to 170, thats great! A lot of MW fighters are starting to come down to WW like a lot of the TUF guys, Mike Swick had some success, and even fighters like KOS do much better fighting guys their size or smaller.

Kampmann is a very dangerously tough competitor, with out of this world jits, and some good striking to back it up. Nate had to strike him with all he had to get him down, and it didn't look like he was KO'd.

Kampmann at 170 = Future #1 contender.