Why can't Marcus Davis fight in the US?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Why can't Marcus Davis fight in the US?
ohiostate1016
1/27/08 12:07:48PM
According to MMAJunkie.com, Marcus Davis' next scheduled fight is for UFC 86, which will take place in the UK. Davis' last 3 fights (all wins: over Jason Tan at UFC 72, Paul Taylor at UFC 75, and Jess Liaudin at UFC 80) have all also been outside of the US.

Davis is one of the fastest rising stars in the WW division, but the UFC seems to be shielding him from US fights for some reason. I know that they like to have international fighters on the international cards, but Davis is from Maine. Last time I checked, Maine was still a part of the US (although some claim it's more of a Canadian province than a US state).

I was just wondering...WHY? Why can't we see one of the best draws in the WW division here in the States?
grappler0000
1/27/08 12:14:04PM

Posted by ohiostate1016

According to MMAJunkie.com, Marcus Davis' next scheduled fight is for UFC 86, which will take place in the UK. Davis' last 3 fights (all wins: over Jason Tan at UFC 72, Paul Taylor at UFC 75, and Jess Liaudin at UFC 80) have all also been outside of the US.

Davis is one of the fastest rising stars in the WW division, but the UFC seems to be shielding him from US fights for some reason. I know that they like to have international fighters on the international cards, but Davis is from Maine. Last time I checked, Maine was still a part of the US (although some claim it's more of a Canadian province than a US state).

I was just wondering...WHY? Why can't we see one of the best draws in the WW division here in the States?

I honestly think the UFC expects Europe to accept him as one of their own. You know, the nickname, the kilt, etc.

Aaronno9
1/27/08 12:33:04PM
Yeh i think they expect people to just think hes british becouse he wears the kilt and stuff. I dunno how long theyl beable to play that card though becouse he was getting booed at the event in newcastle now that people have realised hes not actually british at all.
postman
1/27/08 1:20:47PM
I thoght Kilts were Irish. So wouldn't having a name like the Irish hadngenade and wearing a kilt make them want think he was irish?
bullettdodger
1/27/08 1:32:51PM
Kilts are REALLY more of a Scottish tradition though the irish do wear them, each family name has they're own pattern and crest so kilts are pretty sick... cept they're damn ichy when you're free balllin
cmill21
1/27/08 2:01:58PM
I have my own theory about why he fights there, but I can't say due to the fact that it's only a theory.
loller90278
1/27/08 5:49:36PM

Posted by cmill21

I have my own theory about why he fights there, but I can't say due to the fact that it's only a theory.

NineDuce
1/27/08 7:58:18PM
he hunts brits for fun, true story
Svartorm
1/27/08 8:38:35PM

Posted by cmill21

Torres got busted after UFC 75 if you remember.
Daddyprimetime
1/27/08 10:46:08PM
I'm gonna go with his Irish heritage for the reason he fights over seas alot.
hippysmacker
1/27/08 11:00:22PM

Posted by Daddyprimetime

I'm gonna go with his Irish heritage for the reason he fights over seas alot.

At UFc 72 in Ireland he got a very good reception. Even though England isn't Ireland, I am sure there are many fans there that want to see him. It really doesn't matter where a fighter fights, except at the live gate. The PPV is on everywhere, and his last few fights have been shown on the broadcast.
jiujitsufreak74
1/27/08 11:05:07PM
he is my favorite fighter and i am a little disappointed that i can't see him live while he is over seas. but alas, it really doesn't matter as he is having success there and doesn't seem to mind the travel, maybe that is why he fights there. i personally would love to see him fight on the east coast but hippysmacker was right, as long as he is being shown on the ppv i am content as i love watching him fight. i just hope his next opponent sets him up for title contention for god knows he deserves it, he is now where fitch was before diego imo.
hippysmacker
1/27/08 11:07:59PM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

he is my favorite fighter and i am a little disappointed that i can't see him live while he is over seas. but alas, it really doesn't matter as he is having success there and doesn't seem to mind the travel, maybe that is why he fights there. i personally would love to see him fight on the east coast but hippysmacker was right, as long as he is being shown on the ppv i am content as i love watching him fight. i just hope his next opponent sets him up for title contention for god knows he deserves it, he is now where fitch was before diego imo.

My guess is he will fight the loser of Karo/Alves. That fight would probably put him one more away from a title shot IMO. Whenever a guy works that hard to improve you just gotta pull for him.
CornishMMA
1/28/08 7:47:42AM
either that or Koscheck/Hazelett

By the way Marcus said he has been tested for steroids 5/7 times in the UFC

He is a plastic paddy tho, his grandmother was welsh and his grandfather was scottish, someone should tell him that doesnt make you Irish!

Theres no master plan tho, he isnt being shieled from the US but it just makes sense to have a familiar face and name on these cards so the casual british fans buy tickets
Diamondback2
1/31/08 12:35:11PM

The UFC is still trying to build a solid mainstream fanbase overseas. They want fans to have guys to look for. It's a different fanbase over there. It's all business.
Kastro
1/31/08 12:46:40PM
Im not sure if anybody has already mentioned this, and in no way do I mean any disrespect to Marcus but perhaps he has a criminal record?

I love going to the US to shop for clothes at very cheap prices but everytime I cross the border I really get hassled, and a few of my friends have been denied due to criminal records... even with a pardon its hard to get in, kinda BS but I can understand why the laws are like that they gotta keep things safe..

DCRage
1/31/08 12:48:05PM
Don't forget he actually has fought in the US, he beat Shonie Carter on the UFN at the military base in San Diego.
MMAFightClothes
1/31/08 8:39:49PM
I also don't think getting into the US is an issue since he is an American.
Kastro
1/31/08 10:16:04PM

Posted by MMAFightClothes

I also don't think getting into the US is an issue since he is an American.

LOL my bad... I thought he fought of Ireland, my mistake..

Apart from seeing his highlight reels I haven't really checked him out fully and did not know of his true home.