I can't let it go...

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » I can't let it go...
Jackelope
11/16/08 10:56:53PM
I've been resisting making a post about this, but something really bothered me about Saturday night.

Goldberg's incessant use of the term "Neck Kick"

Please tell me I'm not the only one who noticed this. I must have counted 15 or 20 times that he said it.

Discuss.
Omega
11/16/08 11:02:13PM

Posted by Jackelope

I've been resisting making a post about this, but something really bothered me about Saturday night.

Goldberg's incessant use of the term "Neck Kick"

Please tell me I'm not the only one who noticed this. I must have counted 15 or 20 times that he said it.

Discuss.

It's Goldberg. What do you expect?
cmill21
11/16/08 11:02:37PM
As in kicking a guy in the neck?
MALICE
11/16/08 11:05:10PM
Neck Kick? Doesn't ring a bell. I guess I didn't notice. I'll rewatch the event in a day or two and listen for it I guess. Why would he say it so many times? Is it a new popular technique?

What a devastating Neck Kick!!!
Jackelope
11/16/08 11:06:04PM

Posted by cmill21

As in kicking a guy in the neck?

I guess???? He kept saying "Neck kick" and then a couple times he said "Head kick" as though there was some kind of a clear differentiation between the two. I'm pretty sure dudes just kick in the general area of the head and if it happens to land on the neck it was still a "head kick" just a head kick that was a little off target.

And yes, it is Goldberg... I don't expect much. It's just that things like this get under my skin with him. Just when I want to start liking the guy he says something else incredibly stupid
Ben_Hutch
11/16/08 11:08:32PM
Can't say I heard it but if you ask Rogan he'll probably tell you the "Neck Kick" is the most under-used move in MMA, along with the jab, front kick, leg kick, overhand right................
mk1630
11/16/08 11:26:14PM

Posted by Ben_Hutch

Can't say I heard it but if you ask Rogan he'll probably tell you the "Neck Kick" is the most under-used move in MMA, along with the jab, front kick, leg kick, overhand right................

lmao. I didnt notice it either but i dont doubt he said it.
Khaos
11/16/08 11:36:20PM
It was rather bothersom, I felt like screaming at my tv "it's a head kick, not a f**king neck kick." But it's Goldberg so whatever.
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
11/17/08 12:41:56AM
he also stated alvin robinson lost to patrick cote . Some more gems i cant remember . We should sticky a thread called goldys fuk ups .
seanfu
11/17/08 2:18:17AM
I mentioned this earlier because I don't have the toold to do it but, someone please make a highlight vid of Goldy saying dumb shit and getting bitch smacked (corrected) by Rogan. lol

I saw the "superfoot" highlight from the early UFCs lol

I thought it would be funny.
cowcatcher
11/17/08 9:28:33AM
i was going to start this same thread right after the event but tried to get a little action off of the woman instead to ease my mind after randy lost. he must have said that 12 times during the broadcast and everyone that was here just kept getting more and more pissed about it. im glad you mentioned this because i forgot to.

gotta spread the love
MFOTHER
11/17/08 11:05:48AM
yeh i def heard it......i want to say it was when gurgel was fighting.....as if he was too short to make it to the head, so its a neck kick !??!?!
emfleek
11/17/08 11:20:29AM
I was at the bar and could barely hear anything thanks to the meatwad MMA "experts" sitting around me.
gartface
11/17/08 11:33:17AM
Can't really say I noticed, but if I think back to the event, it had to have been during the Gurgel-Riley fight. There were a lot of kicks that landed to the head/neck.
jomatty
11/17/08 11:48:04AM
yeah it was during the gurgel fight that the new technique was revieled...
gsquat
11/17/08 1:49:17PM
It was driving me crazy. We all kept saying,"Why is he calling it a neck kick!?" I'm surprised Joe didn't say anything.
cowcatcher
11/17/08 2:22:47PM
it wasnt just the gurgel fight that it happened in though, it was all night long, just more often in the gurgel fight. goldie just picks some word or statement every night and abuses it, at least mir sticks with "gots" each event.
Rush
11/17/08 5:25:13PM
I don't see the big deal. People use the term leg kick all the time and nobody seems to be bothered. In fact, that term could seem even stranger because the redundancy makes it sound more ambiguous.
MALICE
11/17/08 6:11:05PM

Posted by Rush

I don't see the big deal. People use the term leg kick all the time and nobody seems to be bothered. In fact, that term could seem even stranger because the redundancy makes it sound more ambiguous.

For those without a dictionary, the line in bold text basically means, the term "leg kick" is overused, or repeated, so much that it is unclear, or less specific, as to what form of kick is actually being executed.
Rush
11/17/08 7:45:35PM

Posted by xxMALICExx

Posted by Rush

For those without a dictionary, the line in bold text basically means, the term "leg kick" is overused, or repeated, so much that it is unclear, or less specific, as to what form of kick is actually being executed.

I was referring to that "leg kick" could mean "kicking a leg" or "kicking with a leg", but in a nut shell yes, that is what I meant. A neck kick is obvious that it is a kick to the neck because it is impossible to kick with your neck.

Technically "neck kick" is also consistent with a number of other descriptions in combat sports

head shot
body shot
low blow
body throw

In all those examples the target of the technique is listed, followed by the verb or the technique itself.

The one that really bugs me and Rogan uses it a lot is "judo throw". Come on, either say the name of the throw or keep it generic (body throw or throw). It would sound ridiculous if they said "boxing punch" or "karate kick".
bls1919
11/17/08 9:19:57PM
I didn't notice but i watch the fights with a bungh of buddies and usually they're talking above the tv.
Jackelope
11/17/08 10:16:05PM

Posted by Rush

But the problem is that the fighters weren't aiming for the neck. You can use leg kick a hundred thousand times, and if they're aiming for the leg, it's fine. However, in the case of the infamous "Neck kick" the fighters weren't aiming for the neck. They're aiming for the side of the head. Either the dude's head movement forced it to land near the neck or the kick was thrown off target. Either way, they weren't aiming for the neck.
Wolfenstein
11/18/08 12:10:37AM
I did hear it once, and it gave me a bit of a double-take (if you can do that with audio). Just another Goldieism added to an increasingly long list. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think it's the first time I've heard Goldie say this.

Yeah Joe Rogan's use of "Judo throw" is especially annoying. I'd like to see some more technical terms being used. I mean you don't need to call it an O-Goshi or anything, hip toss will suffice.

It's almost as bad as hearing 10th planet technical names...like "crackhead control". Come on guys, this is a sport so lets at least make an attempt to make techniques sound proffesional.

ncordless
11/18/08 1:14:57AM

Posted by Rush

Posted by xxMALICExx

Posted by Rush

I was referring to that "leg kick" could mean "kicking a leg" or "kicking with a leg", but in a nut shell yes, that is what I meant. A neck kick is obvious that it is a kick to the neck because it is impossible to kick with your neck.

Technically "neck kick" is also consistent with a number of other descriptions in combat sports

head shot
body shot
low blow
body throw

In all those examples the target of the technique is listed, followed by the verb or the technique itself.

The one that really bugs me and Rogan uses it a lot is "judo throw". Come on, either say the name of the throw or keep it generic (body throw or throw). It would sound ridiculous if they said "boxing punch" or "karate kick".

Yeah, I get frustrated by that as well. I would like to see a standardization of terms happen over the next few years.

If an announcer called something a "karate kick" I would probably mute him for the rest of my life. That would be up there with calling a hammer fist or some other downward strike a "judo chop."
Rush
11/18/08 8:05:54AM

Posted by Jackelope

But the problem is that the fighters weren't aiming for the neck. You can use leg kick a hundred thousand times, and if they're aiming for the leg, it's fine. However, in the case of the infamous "Neck kick" the fighters weren't aiming for the neck. They're aiming for the side of the head. Either the dude's head movement forced it to land near the neck or the kick was thrown off target. Either way, they weren't aiming for the neck.

Oh ok, I see your point. It didn't bother me because there is little difference to kicking the jaw or kicking the neck, but then again, we have no idea where they were actually aiming

Maybe a better term would have been high kick then
Jackelope
11/18/08 8:23:41AM

Posted by Rush

Posted by Jackelope

Oh ok, I see your point. It didn't bother me because there is little difference to kicking the jaw or kicking the neck, but then again, we have no idea where they were actually aiming

Maybe a better term would have been high kick then

I would have gladly settled for that one
State_Champ
11/19/08 11:27:12AM
I just watched Goldberg discuss his 100th UFC on ufc.com and he refers to Gabriel Gonzaga's KO over Cro Cop as a "neck kick". SO the "neck kick" isn't a new move at all.