What's next for Leben?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » What's next for Leben?
Next Page »
wolfman
3/2/08 10:13:09AM
This guy is really starting to grow on me. Mind you, I never saw any of the TUF shows until this year. So, I didn't really know a lot about his personality and fighting style. I don't think he is ever going to be a real force in the division. Yet, I think he will be a good gatekeeper. Yes, his striking is still pretty sloppy, but the guy can throw bombs and he has one hell of a chin! He definitely looks to be improving each time I see him though.

He also always seems to bring it when he steps in the cage and shows a lot of heart in each fight. So, who do you think Leben fights next? To me, I think he gets Eastman next. I think that is the most logical fight for him right now, or is there someone else you guys think is a more fitting matchup? If this fight does happen, I'm picking Leben via 2nd rd. TKO.
kevietre
3/2/08 10:19:29AM
He went back to the old Leben for this fight, which was what he said he was going to do brawl a boxer. In the Martin fight he had a similar style to his training partner Nate Quarry where you are patient and wait to pick your shot, but in this fight he went to the mentality you hit me ill hit you harder which makes him exciting, but he left himself open and got caught a couple of times. I think he relies on his solid chin too much which has only failed him to Anderson Silva. Im a Leben fan and picked him to beat Sakara but he can't always fight like that because eventually he'll get dropped.
CactusBob
3/2/08 10:19:38AM
Let's throw him to Almeida
wolfman
3/2/08 10:27:54AM

Posted by kevietre

He went back to the old Leben for this fight, which was what he said he was going to do brawl a boxer. In the Martin fight he had a similar style to his training partner Nate Quarry where you are patient and wait to pick your shot, but in this fight he went to the mentality you hit me ill hit you harder which makes him exciting, but he left himself open and got caught a couple of times. I think he relies on his solid chin too much which has only failed him to Anderson Silva. Im a Leben fan and picked him to beat Sakara but he can't always fight like that because eventually he'll get dropped.

Yes, good points. He does seem to rely on his chin too much.
MALICE
3/2/08 10:32:46AM
I have always been a huge fan of Leben. I think Leben / Herman would be a very good fight.
wolfman
3/2/08 10:36:06AM

Posted by xxMALICExx

I have always been a huge fan of Leben. I think Leben / Herman would be a very good fight.

Yeah, I was thinking that too. However, I don't see Herman getting by Demian Mai.
seanfu
3/2/08 11:46:09AM
Dude, I don't care who hates but Leben Franklin would be the best fight ever. I'm not sure when Franklin fights next but they need to make it happen.

Leben Lawler would be nice if they could sign him but his next fight should be Patric Cote or Evan Tanner, either one could be good, but I'm really stressin the excitement of the Leben Franklin fight.
sammyd1213
3/2/08 11:56:01AM
Ed Herman would be a good matchup, as would Pat Cote. I think both would beat Leben though.. What about Nate Marquardt?? A lot of ways the UFC can handle Leben..
juanez13
3/2/08 11:56:37AM

Posted by seanfu

Dude, I don't care who hates but Leben Franklin would be the best fight ever. I'm not sure when Franklin fights next but they need to make it happen.

Leben Lawler would be nice if they could sign him but his next fight should be Patric Cote or Evan Tanner, either one could be good, but I'm really stressin the excitement of the Leben Franklin fight.

Franklin Fights at UFC 83, although i see the chances of this fight very unlikely, if Franklin looses, it might be a possibility..........

Leben's next fight is.........Evan tanner
loonytnt
3/2/08 12:11:57PM
leben vs grove, thats what i wanna see but dont think thts going to happen
MALICE
3/2/08 12:14:44PM

Posted by loonytnt

leben vs grove, thats what i wanna see but dont think thts going to happen

Looking at both of their last 2 fights, its looking like you wanna see Grove get KO'ed.
bls1919
3/2/08 12:18:15PM
IMO Leben vs. Cote is a great fight. Two guys who love to bang, makes for a very exciting fight.
CactusBob
3/2/08 12:22:34PM
I don't want to see Leben and Cote fight again, there are too many other possibilities that need to be realized...
TheHitmanTL
3/2/08 2:17:40PM
was it just me or did anyone else think that @ ufc 82 leben looked like chunk from the goonies??

but i think he should make the cut to 170 he would defnetely do some damage there
gartface
3/2/08 2:23:18PM
Never thought there'd be a Leben specific thread. Also never thought I would say that Kendall Grove doesn't deserve to fight Chris Leben.

I think it should be against Pat Cote.
stock
3/2/08 2:33:13PM
I would like to see him fight Cote, Tanner, Franklin (if he loses in April), or Bisping (if he wins in April).

I honestly don't think Leben is too anxious at another title shot right now. I think he would be fine fighting low hanging fruit until Silva changes weight classes.
jiujitsufreak74
3/2/08 2:44:08PM
my opinion on the Leben is that love him or hate him you cannot deny that the man has heart and a solid chin.

now for what's next for him...i would say i have 3 options.

like CactusBob Almeida is an option. i would personally have Almeida fight Marquardt next since the two have already fought (Almeida won last time) and it would be a great opportunity for both Almeida and Marquardt. however if Joe Silva puts Almeida and Leben against each other i wouldn't complain. i think it is an interesting match up of a brawler against a submission artist. i personally believe that Almeida would be able to submit him but it would be an exciting fight nonetheless.

Also gartface had a good idea as well. Patrick Cote would be an excellent fight for Leben. it would be like Cote vs McFedries only with Leben having a better chin. i think it would just be an all out brawl for at least 2 rounds. this would be a really exciting fight that i would love to see. i believe that Leben would eventually lose this one to Cote by KO in the second round but it would be a fight to remember.

Another possibility is Damian Maia. i believe that Maia will be able to defeat Herman and a match up between him and Leben would really spark my interest. this would be similar to the Almeida fight only with Maia having worse stand up but a slightly more dangerous ground game. this fight will solely rely on where it ends up. on the feet Leben wins, on the ground Maia wins. i wouldn't be able to pick a winner at this point if it were to happen but both fighters have a great chance of winning and improving their MW rank.

in all 3 of these fights Leben faces tough match ups but does have a solid chance to win. i wouldn't pick him against Almeida or Cote but he certainly has a chance to beat them. either way i will be sure to watch his next fight.
Twenty20Dollars
3/2/08 5:11:43PM
Drew Mcfedries vs Leben

or Leben vs Cote 2!
Rush
3/2/08 5:18:43PM
Copied from another thread.....

Leben impressed me in his fight with Martin, but I felt he was a little sloppy in this fight. This fight could have gone either way and was basically a slug fest. I was happy it ended the way it did due to my picks, but I wasn't impressed by either him or Sakara. Leben would still have problems with most guys top 10 guys in the division.

I think the Tanner fight is a good idea and possibly Herman. I don't think it will be a good idea for Leben to fight a top 10 guy right now.
candynuts
3/2/08 5:24:47PM
Marvin "The Beastman" Eastman??
wolfman
3/2/08 5:32:01PM

Posted by Rush

Copied from another thread.....

Leben impressed me in his fight with Martin, but I felt he was a little sloppy in this fight. This fight could have gone either way and was basically a slug fest. I was happy it ended the way it did due to my picks, but I wasn't impressed by either him or Sakara. Leben would still have problems with most guys top 10 guys in the division.

I think the Tanner fight is a good idea and possibly Herman. I don't think it will be a good idea for Leben to fight a top 10 guy right now.

I don't think a fight with Tanner makes any sense. Tanner has just returned off a two year hiatus and is coming off a disappointing KO. I think he would lose to Leben as well, it would be lights out for Tanner again. He could possibly sub Leben, yet I don't think that would happen. I don't think the UFC wants to set Tanner up for another disappointing loss, or maybe they do.

I'd like to see Leben fight Herman as well, but he has to get by Mai first and I don't see that happening. So, I could see Leben fighting Eastman, Almedia, Belcher, or a rematch with Cote. I would like to see him fight Franklin though, that would be a good fight.
Pookie
3/2/08 5:33:14PM
Belcher.
JBatch
3/2/08 10:31:37PM
well Leben and Herman are great friends and so are Leben and Tanner. So I think the most likely fight for him will be vs. Eastman or Belcher.
Ordep
3/3/08 12:56:41PM
Bisping
Belcher
Cote

it will be one of those 3
sonicsmokesweed
3/3/08 2:38:38PM
Chris Leben vs Dan Henderson would be a good one
koopa
3/3/08 3:20:48PM
Leben vs Louiseau!!!!! Woulda been nice! Realistically, I think Leben should get Evan Tanner, just as a good measuring stick. If not, I agree with Bisping.
But God damn, just imagine Leben vs The Crow....
woodmo
3/3/08 3:48:19PM

Posted by sonicsmokesweed

What are you high? Oh, wait, nevermind.

Hendo would end Leben in the first, by destruction.
wolfman
3/3/08 6:29:55PM

Posted by woodmo

Posted by sonicsmokesweed

What are you high? Oh, wait, nevermind.

Hendo would end Leben in the first, by destruction.

Yeah, I think I would have to agree here. It would be a brawl, yet Hendo would put him to sleep in the first or second round.
xposipx
3/3/08 7:05:12PM
Marvin Eastman. Would be a sweet fight to open up a PPV with. I'm actually counting on this happening.
NatedawgThaM
3/3/08 7:09:47PM
If he wins at 83, Bisping so he can knock the cockiness out of him. Or Almedia or Marquardt.
Pages: [1] 2 3