Do you think it's too late?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Do you think it's too late?
Tironci
10/15/11 7:16:06PM
I'm 16 years old (Jan. 5 17), 5" 11" and 154 pounds.
I've been playing basketball for about 6 years now and started gym 2 weeks ago.

Do you think I could start MMA and then compete as an amateur or a pro depending my level?
Budgellism
10/15/11 7:17:38PM
If Randy Couture is any indication, things are never too late man. If you love and enjoy it, why not go for it.
warglory
10/15/11 7:33:24PM

Posted by Tironci

I'm 16 years old (Jan. 5 17), 5" 11" and 154 pounds.
I've been playing basketball for about 6 years now and started gym 2 weeks ago.

Do you think I could start MMA and then compete as an amateur or a pro depending my level?

Wow man, if you are considering taking this seriously at 16 years old, I guarantee you that you'd have a leg up on many of modern MMA's finest.

Take Brendan Schaub as an example. The man, to my knowledge, did not have a serious martial arts background prior to devoting himself to MMA (first fight was only in 2008). Hell, look at a large percentage of the guys on Ultimate Fighter who barely had amateur fights under their belts, let alone professional ones, and they are usually in their mid 20's, at least. Several of those guys have gone on to become names in the sport.

You are far from being too late to start. You may not have a wrestling pedigree at a division 1 school, but neither did GSP, yet he just decided to learn wrestling because he wanted to, at a later stage in life than you. As long as you discipline yourself, you are actually at the perfect age to learn, get a couple of years under your belt, so by the time you turn 19-20, you'll be ready to kick up some amateur fights, and by the time you're 21-22, you could turn pro. That process could go even quicker depending on how well you adapt. It's definitely do-able man, keep us up to date.

Chael_Sonnen
10/15/11 7:36:46PM
Sorry, I couldn't help but chuckle out loud at the "I started gym last week" reference
kopower
10/15/11 8:02:05PM

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

Sorry, I couldn't help but chuckle out loud at the "I started gym last week" reference

Yeah man, I loved gym back in the day. Recess was the shit too!! Man, I wish I was 16 again. I'd definitely get into some jitz classes and muay thai just for the fun of it.
KungFuMaster
10/16/11 2:56:39AM
Welcome to the site...

I mean this in a very friendly gesture>>> You are a baby. You have enough time to do what you proposed and much - much more.

If I was 30, I would be training right now and I would be hitting up the ufc at age 35.
tcunningham
10/16/11 9:27:41PM
i didnt start training and fighting until i was 23. i with i could have started at 16.
40ouncetpkid
10/17/11 12:02:39AM
Well yeah easily perfect timing because your young and your potential is still endless. Instead of say Brock lesnar who started late has good wrestling but alil too late to master other things where you can but you must train wrestling. I know boxing is sexy and easy to fall in love with to stand and bang thinking u can knock people out but if you can't wrestle at a high level and grapple too you'll always fall short.
Tironci
10/22/11 1:55:50PM
Good news, I just started kick-boxing (free) at my gym.
As soon as I earn some money, my parents don't support me for this, I will start wrestling and mma.

Any advice of what kind of training should I do until I start mma?
Geoffo
10/24/11 8:55:30PM
Don't be crazy bro, your over exaggerating. You're 16.
That's very young :P go for it. But unless you're a super hardworker or
super athletic and can take a punch, don't go full time. Keep up with your studies!