What's next for Johnny "Bones" Jones?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » What's next for Johnny "Bones" Jones?
FireballKid
8/5/10 7:42:55PM
If you all saw, Jon Jones defeated Vladimir Matyushenko in devastating fashion with elbows in less than 2 minutes. So what's next for this now uprising star in the UFC? He stated that he now wants to fight one of the "top 3 opponents" in the light heavyweight division. So who do you think it should be. It's weird, most fighters I want him to fight like Rashad Evans, Lyoto Machida or Quinton Jackson(Rua has injury right?) But however, despite his request to go against "top 3" opponents, I think a good person for him to fight would be Antonio Rogerio "Lil Nog" Nogueria. Nogueria has the better striking than his brother. And his brazilian jiu-jitsu should come in handy against Jon's wrestling skills. I just depends on what the UFC decides. What do you guys think? Someone else?
DCRage
8/5/10 7:56:50PM
Dana's already said a "Top 8 guy" is next. Won't be Rashad (Rua next summer for title), probably not Machida or Rampage (facing each other later this year), Nogueira's facing Ryan Bader at 119, so if he fights again this year and Dana keeps his word, that probably makes the most logical choice the only one left...Forrest. Unless Silva goes back up to 205.
Pookie
8/5/10 8:44:17PM

Posted by DCRage

Dana's already said a "Top 8 guy" is next. Won't be Rashad (Rua next summer for title), probably not Machida or Rampage (facing each other later this year), Nogueira's facing Ryan Bader at 119, so if he fights again this year and Dana keeps his word, that probably makes the most logical choice the only one left...Forrest. Unless Silva goes back up to 205.

See i had heard that they're trying to make Forrest v. Franklin happen.

Thiago Silva is still a top 8, by dana white standards, So he's in the running for a jon jones match-up too.

Taylor8766
8/5/10 9:24:41PM
i could see either Forrest, Rampage or Machida, he would stack up well with any guy in the LHW division in my opinion
FireballKid
8/5/10 9:38:08PM
Yeah I heard Thiago Silva pulled out of the Tim Boestch fight? Injury perhaps?
Twenty20Dollars
8/5/10 10:04:03PM
Yeah thiago silva if he has a quick turnaround from the injury, or forrest or franklin but hopefully not james toney heh.
PABLOMAFIOSO
8/6/10 7:00:37AM
Seeing Toney drop to LHW and get spanked would be priceless. I actually wanna see it
bsh162007
8/6/10 7:17:42AM
Yea its either gonna be thiago silva , forrest , or rich , my bet is probably on thiago which will still be a tough fight for him cause silva is no push over i mean hes only lost to rasad and lyoto thats nothing to hang your head over so i would really like to see him and thiago personally
DCRage
8/6/10 7:37:36AM

Posted by FireballKid

Yeah I heard Thiago Silva pulled out of the Tim Boestch fight? Injury perhaps?

Back injury. Again.
mrsmiley
8/6/10 2:34:51PM
Not all my picks are top 10 but I think they would all be good.

I would like to see him go up against Brilz..
Bones would be the favirote to win but considering how Jason took it to little Nog and even won that fight in the eyes of some fans, I think it would add an interesting "X" factor to the fight.

2.Cyrille Diabate. I don't think the fight would last long and would probably end up with Jones winning with stronger wrestling but man oh man would the stand up aspect of the fight be interesting to see.

3. Rich Franklin perhaps? Seeing as how Ace is at 205 I think this would be a great fight to size up how much potential these two have in the division.
cowcatcher
8/6/10 2:37:38PM
ive been thinking about diabate as well smiley, he wouldnt stop a jones TD, but if jones did trade with him for even a little while it would be fun to watch.
tcunningham
8/6/10 2:48:14PM
whoever it is it better be a top fighter. how many people does jones need to destroy befor they give him a real fight.
DJBlankenship
8/6/10 3:25:04PM

Posted by DCRage

you know, I've never considered Silva. That would be a great fight. Don't know if he could win, but I think it would be a great fight.
TimW001
8/6/10 10:56:04PM
Sakuraba.

Only fight I need to see.
ncordless
8/7/10 2:58:11AM

Posted by TimW001

Sakuraba.

Only fight I need to see.

Why do you hate Saku?

Actually, in a way that would make sense for a very specific purpose. The one thing that always bugs me about Jones is where he puts his lanky arms in guard when he isn't using them to smash face. If they don't give Jones a top guy, then they should pair him with someone with a good armbar to see if that is a challenge.

That said, Saku has been destroyed too many times by bigger dudes at this point. If that fight got made I'd fear for his life.
mrkennedy
8/12/10 9:33:42AM
Forrest
Boo_Radley21
8/14/10 10:02:50PM
I say if Tito Ortiz gets healthy that would be a good fight for him. Not quite top 5 like he wanted but Tito's got a chin and can grind through a fight. He's a lot better than Matyushenko at least, and even though he's faded a lot over the years I say if Jones can toss around Tito like everyone else that will convince me he's ready for top 5 competition.