UFC on FX 5's Jeremy Stephens arrested, bout with Yves Edwards in jeopardy

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » UFC on FX 5's Jeremy Stephens arrested, bout with Yves Edwards in jeopardy
Next Page »
Card
10/5/12 1:12:23PM
MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) has learned the Minneapolis Police Department arrested the hard-hitting lightweight this morning. He's being held at the Hennepin County Public Safety Facility.

Stephens has yet to be formally charged with a crime, and police officials were unable to reveal the reason for the arrest. Representatives for Stephens didn't return messages.

UFC officials could not be reached for comment.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/30985/ufc-on-fx-5s-jeremy-stephens-arrested-bout-with-yves-edwards-in-jeopardy.mma
FastKnockout
10/5/12 1:13:25PM
You've gotta be kidding me..

EDIT: Tavares vs. Edwards?
Budgellism
10/5/12 1:27:06PM
Wtf
Shawn91111
10/5/12 1:33:53PM
Here's the official charge details. It states that he's being held without bail for a felony charge from another state.

LINK

Where are the Stephens vs the Minneapolis PD odds?
BuffaloDave
10/5/12 1:35:33PM
Game wise, I wouldn't be to heartbroken if the fight was canceled, as I thought it was a tough fight to pick.

Overall it would suck if it was canceled because it had potential to be FOTN.
Card
10/5/12 1:42:38PM
Shawn91111
10/5/12 1:46:25PM
Ariel Helwani ?@arielhelwani
. @danawhite just told me that Jeremy Stephens IS fighting tonight, despite his arrest this AM. More coming to @mmafighting shortly.
Budgellism
10/5/12 1:50:24PM

Posted by Shawn91111

. @danawhite just told me that Jeremy Stephens IS fighting tonight, despite his arrest this AM. More coming to @mmafighting shortly.

I hope so.
pmoney
10/5/12 1:58:24PM

Posted by Budgellism

Posted by Shawn91111

I hope so.

Me too. I'm betting Dana White is going to keep it gangster, pull some strings and just throw some money at the problem.

Anyone think the "Lil Heathen" will be more angry than usual for this fight?

Budgellism
10/5/12 1:59:29PM
postman
10/5/12 2:04:29PM

Posted by pmoney

Posted by Budgellism

Posted by Shawn91111

I hope so.

Me too. I'm betting Dana White is going to keep it gangster, pull some strings and just throw some money at the problem.

Anyone think the "Lil Heathen" will be more angry than usual for this fight?

I don't know about that. I'm not sure Dana White has the power to make felony charges go away. I mean with them being public now. I could be wrong though. Is Stephens the kinda guy he would even do that for?
Card
10/5/12 2:06:28PM
http://www.mmafighting.com/2012/10/5/3460950/jeremy-stephens-arrested-for-felony-charge-will-still-fight-tonight

"The lightweight fighter is still currently in police custody, and is being held without bail."

--- wow... Dana is optimistic.
kingsmasher
10/5/12 2:15:36PM

Posted by Shawn91111

Here's the official charge details. It states that he's being held without bail for a felony charge from another state.

LINK

Then he def wont be fighting...
scoozna
10/5/12 2:16:36PM
This is a first.
He'll be fighting for attorney's fees tonight.
pmoney
10/5/12 2:16:39PM

Posted by postman

I don't know about that. I'm not sure Dana White has the power to make felony charges go away. I mean with them being public now. I could be wrong though. Is Stephens the kinda guy he would even do that for?

Good point/questions. The only thing is, what is Stephens warrant(s) for? Perhaps Dana can come in, say "This guy is my fighter, let him fight, Jeremy go turns himself in where he is wanted and straightens it out." I think Dana would try, if for no other reason than to salvage a card that already lost one fight 24 hours ago.

tcunningham
10/5/12 2:16:59PM
sounds like a warrant. probably got pulled over and found it came up when they ran his info.
scoozna
10/5/12 2:27:13PM

Posted by Shawn91111

LINK

@Shawn91111
@danawhite Is he fighting Edwards or the Minneapolis PD?

I lol'd when I read that on Twitter. I think JS would do pretty well, until they bring out the taser.
Poor_Franklin
10/5/12 2:48:12PM

Posted by FastKnockout

tavares vs edwards would be a sweet fight, but i'd still rather see Stephens
JLS1980
10/5/12 2:54:29PM

Posted by FastKnockout

If Stephens can't fight tonight this fight makes sense.
You have to think it wouldn't be fair for Yves Edwards and Thiago Tavares to go through full camp's and walk away without a fight.

Sucks for Stephens being in jail and I'll be hoping he fights tonight.
isk
10/5/12 3:04:34PM
Man, if Stephens actually fights tonight, I wonder how Rogan will spin it.
Bubbles
10/5/12 3:16:00PM
I think he will arrive late like when Arianny was arrested for kicking Tiki in the face
Sir_Karl
10/5/12 3:20:27PM
Actually sorry to burst anyone's bubble but "Dana" certainly can pull some strings. Money talks. All he has to do is have the UFC lawyers make a phone call aor two nd Stephens should be out for the time being. If you don't think money talks I could tell you a zillion stories to prove that it does. You can get a lot done when you throw down a little cash and let the lawyers "work their magic". I am not sure if Stephens will fight tonight but I know damn well a high paid lawyer with a lot of clout can get him released...."no bail" or not. I have had a few personal experiences of my own where cash and a good lawyer changes people's tunes real quick.
FastKnockout
10/5/12 3:40:24PM
Yeah, but who knows if Dana is willing to throw down the big bucks on a mid tier guy like Stephens.
postman
10/5/12 3:50:32PM

Posted by FastKnockout

Yeah, but who knows if Dana is willing to throw down the big bucks on a mid tier guy like Stephens.

Thats what I'm sayin
george112
10/5/12 4:12:40PM
One way or the other Stephens will fight if Dana went out of his way to say he IS fighting.

Either way I'm still stoked about this card
BillsNewAccount
10/5/12 4:34:37PM
Ariel just tweeted he's still in the can and the fights off.
Budgellism
10/5/12 4:37:50PM

Posted by BillsNewAccount

Ariel just tweeted he's still in the can and the fights off.

george112
10/5/12 4:41:01PM
Ignore what I said

But I'm still stoked
kingsmasher
10/5/12 4:43:20PM

Posted by Sir_Karl

Actually sorry to burst anyone's bubble but "Dana" certainly can pull some strings. Money talks. All he has to do is have the UFC lawyers make a phone call aor two nd Stephens should be out for the time being. If you don't think money talks I could tell you a zillion stories to prove that it does. You can get a lot done when you throw down a little cash and let the lawyers "work their magic". I am not sure if Stephens will fight tonight but I know damn well a high paid lawyer with a lot of clout can get him released...."no bail" or not. I have had a few personal experiences of my own where cash and a good lawyer changes people's tunes real quick.

You didnt burst our bubble and like I said he wouldnt fight tonight...If he got arrested this morning odds are his court date wouldnt be until tomorrow at the earliest....Since its a felony out of state hes basically a fugitive...So they wont just let him go with a hope to see you back....

In smaller counties in smaller cities they get paid by the state to have pple in their jail...a lot depends on over-crowding and stuff sut since his charge is in another state...He wont go any where on a ROR in the same day....I could see at the most the very most....Being chaaperoned to the fight with armed guards and going right back to jail....

Money does talk but its not like dana would be willing to put up such a huge amount of anything for Jeremy Stephens....Hes not Jon Jones...
Chael_Sonnen
10/5/12 5:01:07PM
Well, they don't call him 'Little Heathen' for no reason.......
Pages: [1] 2