who's improved more?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » who's improved more?
Lord_Lenny
4/15/07 2:52:48PM
Chuck Vs. Rampage, since losing to couture and rampage chuck has developed one of the best sprawls in mma, they both claim to have an improved work ethic. Will Chuck be able to get his Revenge? Or will it go down like last time? What do you think?
VanellaL47
4/15/07 2:56:06PM
Chuck has improved since he's lost to Page last time, but I think Page has what it takes to beat him again. He has a good chin and is only weak in the clinch. Chuck doesn't go for the clinch when he fights...only helping Page in the end. I'm saying Page judges decision.
ncordless
4/15/07 3:12:34PM

Posted by VanellaL47

Chuck has improved since he's lost to Page last time, but I think Page has what it takes to beat him again. He has a good chin and is only weak in the clinch. Chuck doesn't go for the clinch when he fights...only helping Page in the end. I'm saying Page judges decision.

Agreed. No knees vs. Rampage= dumb fight plan with painful result.
Mastodon2
4/15/07 6:31:23PM
Chuck has improved since his first meeting (beating!) with Rampage, whereas Rampage has lost his edge a little due to his 2 KOs from Wanderlei and conversion to Christianity.

If Rampage wants it enough, he can still destroy Chuck. If he just doesnt have the drive to do it, he wont beat Chuck this time.

Its all hinged on how Rampage feels. When he is in the zone, he is a wrecking machine, when he isnt in the zone he is terrible.
VanellaL47
4/15/07 6:37:46PM
Yeah I do agree with that...he does need to be in the right mind for this fight
hippysmacker
4/15/07 7:11:03PM
Chuck has been undefeated since that fight, and he was injured to boot. Rampage has not been the same since Wandy got him twice IMO. He seems to be rejuvenated under Ibarra, we'll find out soon enough. I agree that Chuck would be wise to incorporate more knees into his arsenal also, especially for this fight. In the end I say Chuck has improved more and will win.
johny_rotten
4/15/07 7:26:26PM

Posted by Lord_Lenny

Chuck Vs. Rampage, since losing to couture and rampage chuck has developed one of the best sprawls in mma, they both claim to have an improved work ethic. Will Chuck be able to get his Revenge? Or will it go down like last time? What do you think?

Chuck has always had that sprawl. He has improved greatly mainly because his stamina has improved greatly since that fight.

This is a bad fight for Chuck all the time. Rampage has good enough stand up to threating Chuck. He has a good enough chin to get inside, and avoid the looping bricks. He also has the wrestleing and slams to make Chuck a little timid. If Rampage stays paitient, like he did the first time, and comes out on top of his game he will be the next champ. If he gets crazy, and storms Chuck, like Babalu, Tito, and Randy he will go to sleep.

My pick is Rampage wins this fight in the clinch, and annoys/fatigues Chuck.
Juggernaut
4/15/07 10:24:25PM
Chuck has definately improved a hellof alot more than Rampage has. rampage seems like he is in a down hill slump as of late and isn't looking as impressive as he used to. and the Iceman just keeps getting better and better, especially his cardio. he used to get tired out the first couple minutes. and I know, I know, most of his fights don't make it pastthe first round but the ones that have it seems like he has more wind than before. and his conditioning was one of the points that led to his downfall against Rampage the first time around
johny_rotten
4/15/07 10:45:41PM

Posted by Juggernaut

Chuck has definately improved a hellof alot more than Rampage has. rampage seems like he is in a down hill slump as of late and isn't looking as impressive as he used to. and the Iceman just keeps getting better and better, especially his cardio. he used to get tired out the first couple minutes. and I know, I know, most of his fights don't make it pastthe first round but the ones that have it seems like he has more wind than before. and his conditioning was one of the points that led to his downfall against Rampage the first time around

I think it is all about confidence. Chuck's went up after his loss to Rampage. He finally stepped out from Tito's shadow. Had a tune up fight against Vernon. Then he won the belt. His cardio and confidence are the only things that really changed, well his bank account too.

On the flip side Rampage lost his title shot. Came back, and then he lost again. His training team fell apart, and he was an outsider in the organization he was in. Rampage's confidince had to be at an all time low before he came to the UFC.

I think coming to the UFC solved most of those problems. Obviously TP getting a 2nd wind with Tito going back to the UFC then TUF had a big hand in that as well. Rampage is back in the celebrity, making money, and has a 3rd chance to be on top of fighting world. I don't think confidince will be a factor again. Not to mention he has to have a mental edge, no matter what anyone sais, from whupping Chuck the first time.
Rush
4/16/07 12:03:39AM
I let my wife pick the outcome of this fight since I really couldn't decide.

Shw picked Chuck via 3rd round TKO.
mrsumo
4/16/07 1:10:28AM
What would make you think that Rampage is on a downswing? I say he is as much a force as he was the first time they met. I am going with Jackson on this one. Chuck is fighting to hold on to the belt again, but Rampage is fighting for more. He is going to show the UFC fans what they have been missing all these years. Jackson tko rd 2 immediately followed by the story about how chuck pulled a hammy a week ago in training and he had the flu but he isn't trying to take anything away from quentin and yada yada yada.

Chuck, I love you but it's time to give up the gold. Get plenty of pictures of you holding it because it's going to find a new home soon.
johny_rotten
4/16/07 2:09:22AM

Posted by mrsumo

What would make you think that Rampage is on a downswing? I say he is as much a force as he was the first time they met. I am going with Jackson on this one. Chuck is fighting to hold on to the belt again, but Rampage is fighting for more. He is going to show the UFC fans what they have been missing all these years. Jackson tko rd 2 immediately followed by the story about how chuck pulled a hammy a week ago in training and he had the flu but he isn't trying to take anything away from quentin and yada yada yada.

Chuck, I love you but it's time to give up the gold. Get plenty of pictures of you holding it because it's going to find a new home soon.

You forgot in combination of his phantom "serious" injury Dana has to back out of bet he made as well.
Mastodon2
4/16/07 3:31:47AM

Posted by Juggernaut

Yeah I suppose your conditioning would look pretty poor when you are being done over by a better striker, that will take the wind out of your sales for sure.
roman
4/16/07 5:16:58AM
Liddell has improved more but Rampage still has what it takes to beat him; good hands, crazy strenght and chin, and great takedowns. Since the Iceman will be more worried about the standup game I think Jackson will have a good chance of surpising Liddell with a takedown, then we will see if he can incorprate some GnP (If he surpises him). Yeah he might have lost his confidence against the chute box team but that was in the past and against badasses. I think his fight against Lindland states that he is comin around again and nobody ever seems to bring that up. So I got Rampage by Unanimous Desicion (and who knows maybe he will knock him out).
Stickan
4/16/07 5:40:50AM
It's still more than a month left to the fight but yet these threads pop up every other minute.

Mods maybe make a Rampage - Liddell forum for people who doesn't get tired of debating this fight over and over?
hippysmacker
4/16/07 4:10:27PM

Posted by johny_rotten

Posted by mrsumo

You forgot in combination of his phantom "serious" injury Dana has to back out of bet he made as well.

Actually the bet was for Wandy against Chuck, but they never fought. Too bad, I still want to see that fight. I think Wandy will take some time off, and come back a force again.Maybe we will see it in 2008
AdamG
4/17/07 12:52:41PM

Posted by Mastodon2

"Chuck has improved since his first meeting (beating!) with Rampage, whereas Rampage has lost his edge a little due to his 2 KOs from Wanderlei and conversion to Christianity."

Seriously?
You're going to attribute Rampage's downslope to losses and religious conversion? The fact is that Rampage stopped training with the right people. He didn't have a home gym or a team for a while and was training with amateurs. He lost his edge and we all saw the results. Rampage also forgot to change his game plan when he fought Rua after being spanked by Wandi twice. Just bad management.

Now that he's in the UFC, Rampage is back with Team Punishment and has been training at Legends in LA (started by Couture and Rutten). He also just got a huge payday for walking over Marvin Eastman. I see him being back in good form for this fight against Chuck. It's going to be war!

**Side Note: Many of the best fighters in the game attribute their success to their faith in God. I'm not a Jesus freak or anything, but I can't equate being religious to a fighter's weakness. Almost all of the champs thank God after wins, except Fedor, because he is God.
nellyhiphophead
4/17/07 12:53:58PM
chuck by far in my mind. his mind is in a great place right now.
nubby
4/17/07 6:55:59PM
When did Rampage say he was training with team punishment?
Mastodon2
4/17/07 7:00:08PM

Posted by AdamG

Seriously?
You're going to attribute Rampage's downslope to losses and religious conversion? The fact is that Rampage stopped training with the right people. He didn't have a home gym or a team for a while and was training with amateurs. He lost his edge and we all saw the results. Rampage also forgot to change his game plan when he fought Rua after being spanked by Wandi twice. Just bad management.

Now that he's in the UFC, Rampage is back with Team Punishment and has been training at Legends in LA (started by Couture and Rutten). He also just got a huge payday for walking over Marvin Eastman. I see him being back in good form for this fight against Chuck. It's going to be war!

**Side Note: Many of the best fighters in the game attribute their success to their faith in God. I'm not a Jesus freak or anything, but I can't equate being religious to a fighter's weakness. Almost all of the champs thank God after wins, except Fedor, because he is God.

Im a Christian, so Im not knocking faith. Im just noting, that after his conversion, Rampage just seemed despondent, like he didnt really care to be fighting anymore, instead of loving kicking ass and making money. He still seemed determined to win again Wand the second time, but after that hard KO, he came back for that dreaful fight again Ninja, where he was clearly not even trying, and did nothing for 3 rounds, but then somehow (divine intervention probably) he got the decision, but then tried to hand the trophy to Rua cause he knew he deserved it more.

He just hasnt been the same since then.
BerndRealBad
4/18/07 5:04:28PM
Well since that fight, Chuck has stopped everyone in his path, which includes some damn good fighters. Rampage barely, and I do mean BARELY, beat Matt Lindland. I'm not saying Lindland isn't a great fighter, because he is, but who else has he beaten lately that's world class? All he did to Lindland was slam him twice I believe, stand up he rocked him once but just stood there without advancing. He does that to Chuck, he's not winning that fight.
rameydl8
4/18/07 5:53:08PM
CHUCK will win
nubby
4/18/07 7:23:49PM

Posted by rameydl8

CHUCK will win

Thanks for the insight.
Svabbi
4/18/07 8:44:01PM
Since they last fought Chuck has become a UFC champion and won 7 fights in a row against top fighters like Randy, Babalu, Tito and Horn. Pretty much looking unstoppable, KOing everyone he fights.

Rampage has been brutally KOd 3 times, almost lost to a MW and went the distance against a can with a 0-4 record in MMA.

I think this question really doesnt have to be asked.
JBatch
4/19/07 1:49:57AM

Posted by hippysmacker

Chuck has been undefeated since that fight, and he was injured to boot. Rampage has not been the same since Wandy got him twice IMO. He seems to be rejuvenated under Ibarra, we'll find out soon enough. I agree that Chuck would be wise to incorporate more knees into his arsenal also, especially for this fight. In the end I say Chuck has improved more and will win.

I feel the same way. I think Chuck has what it takes to beat Rampage this time around, implementing knees is optional but would be optimal. Chuck will take this fight in the 3rd or 4th via KO from a crazy counter punch.
p_unit23
4/19/07 10:10:18PM
rampage all the way. chucks reigns gonna have to end soon, so i think it'll end when they fight.
ac_gi
4/19/07 11:25:42PM

Posted by mrsumo

What would make you think that Rampage is on a downswing? I say he is as much a force as he was the first time they met. I am going with Jackson on this one. ....

He has won 4 in row, including a win over Matt Lindland. So I agree, he is not on a downswing.
However, he still think he gets KO'ed for his efforts. Chuck seems to be getting better and better with age, ala Randy. You can't ignore 7 straight KO's.