What's more important: The nationality of the fighter or the fighter himself?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » What's more important: The nationality of the fighter or the fighter himself?
Jujiden
8/9/07 4:12:08PM
I honestly feel that nationality has nothing to do with it. Sure, there's a sense of pride that comes with having a guy from your country win. But this isn't the Olympics and martial arts transcends borders. My favorite fighters aren't American, and I'm sure not gonna change that just because I'm an American. It's shallow and shallow-minded. MMA fighters and enthusiasts are some of the most respectful and knowlegdable people around most of the time. Fighting is a language that if everyone doesn't know how to speak, at least everyone understands and can respect.

So I say all that to say this....it's not nationalities that bring in the revenue, its the calibur of fighter and the calibur of fights they have. Pride has proved this as well as the UFC.

It's those who project their American frame-of-reference upon everyone else in the world that causes the ignorance that MMA is so desperatly trying to distance itself from.
LR
8/9/07 4:18:09PM
I'm American, but there are alot of European/Asian fighters I root for. One main thing that attracts me to those fighters is their style, but also their pride. I don't like some fighters due to their attitudes. Some fighters are revered because they are bad boys. Diaz is known to be a guy who will fight anyone, anytime, anywhere, and won't back down to anyone, and I respect that, but I don't respect him trying to fight people in hospitals and smack talking even after he got beat, and the various other antics he's done. Tito, I respect the fact he is trying to hype a fight, but going to the extreme sometimes is not respectful.

On the other side of the spectrum, you have Mirko, fedor, and some other European fighters who are very respectful, pride filled to their countries. Fedor has always been soft spoken and respectful to opponents who are respectful to him, same for Mirko. There is the off comment such as Silva vs. CroCop in which Silva picked on CroCop, and CroCop responded in both the ring and before the fight, but for the most part, I think shutting your mouth and proving it in the ring is what attracts me toward other fighters than some of the mainstream American fighters. You can lump Couture in there as well.
the_Advocate
8/9/07 4:24:03PM
this exists everywhere....the japanese fans were more than ecstatic to have a japanese champ in Gomi and you can bet that contributed to revenue when he took to the ring....its "hometown-hero(ism)"...we all take pride in athletes from our neck of the woods...nothing wrong with it at all.....it doesn't mean that you should believe they are better for it....I sure wasn't going to pick jason thacker over chris lebens simply because thacker is canadian...thats as logical as
cmill21
8/9/07 4:28:38PM
I prefer the european fighters. Alot of them seem to use the philosiphy "speak softly, and carry a big stick". Fedor is not my favorite fighter, but I love the way he carries himself. Mirko is my favorite fighter, and he always says the other fighter is a very good fighter. I don't care who you are or where your from, if your a great fighter and you don't talk like your god himself i'll respect you. I don't respect people like vera who win a fight and think they deserve to be labeled the best ever. Doesn't work like that.
Rua22
8/9/07 5:06:09PM

i think alot of the 'foreign' fighters are pretty rooted in the tradition of their styles of fighting... ie Fedor-Sambo, Shogun-Chute Box. they carry themselves with a certain demeanor and hold themselves to a certain standard. now this isn't to say that there aren't American fighters that do the same ala Couture or a guy like Severin, whomever you may pick. alot of the craze has to do with the rise of the UFC and there marketing strategies. they really like to push the American fighters (Hughes, Liddell, etc.), which you can't blame them really as Pride pushes their Japanese fighters and rightfully so. alot of people that are experiencing the mma buzz for the first time are seeing it due to the UFC's expansion. with that being said, it creates alot of numero uno mindsets and attitudes with alot of the younger fighters that get there shot through the UFC. the same can be said for new mma fans that think mma lives and dies by Chuck Liddell.
CwB
8/9/07 5:22:31PM
I didn't choose my favorite fighters because they are white americans, i chose them because of there fighting skills.

But...
If you put two fighters in front of me that i know nothing about- one american and one russian, i will choose the american. If you put - One white american and One black american, i will cheer for the white guy. as i am a white american.

Is this rascist??? i dont think so. it is just my own national/race pride.

I think most of you would do the same.
Or maybe i am just rascist?ignorant- whatever...
SpiderSilva
8/9/07 7:41:47PM
well its all the fighter himself he needs heart and desire to win the fans(Forrest Griffin has done this)
if he has this and some cash what stops him form lurning a style in another counrtry
DCRage
8/10/07 7:48:43AM
I think the fighter is more important. True, nationality is important but it seems more relevant to the fighter's style (Asians tend to be more martial artists, Brazilians tend to be associated with Brazilian jiu-jitsu, Americans are generally more American styles or just mixed martial artists unless they're like a kickboxer or MIletich fighter) and to building a fanbase in his native country (best example I can think of was after Michael Bisping won UF3). And there's nothing stopping a fighter from going elsewhere to learn another fighting style. I think it really comes down to what the fighter wants to do and what he feels will allow him to be at his best.
Mastodon2
8/10/07 8:25:08AM
I like the European fighters personally, they are all gentlemen, apart from Gilbert Yvel!

Being English, I support Bisping, but not because lf his nationality, but because he is a straight talking, no nonsense guy. Personally I think guys like Mirko and Fedor do it the best, no trash talking, no hyping themselves up, they just get in the ring and let their skills speak for themselves. Japanese and Asian fighters are quality too, all very respectful. For example when Hidehiko Yoshida choked out Royce, Royce was flying allover the ring screaming that he wasnt out (imo, he was!) and Yoshida didnt get angry or even seem phased, he knew he had won the fight, and he didnt lose face by getting into the same ugly, furious state that Royce did.
TOMMYAYO05
8/11/07 2:34:56PM

Posted by CwB

I didn't choose my favorite fighters because they are white americans, i chose them because of there fighting skills.

But...
If you put two fighters in front of me that i know nothing about- one american and one russian, i will choose the american. If you put - One white american and One black american, i will cheer for the white guy. as i am a white american.

Is this rascist??? i dont think so. it is just my own national/race pride.

I think most of you would do the same.
Or maybe i am just rascist?ignorant- whatever...

I also do the same man,but im white and i look at my top 5 fav fighters tito,anderson silva,koscheck,rampage,and diaz bros.....Thats weird because none of the above are fully white....I dont know ive asked myself this before.
The-Don
6/18/08 6:31:38PM
I don't think rooting for the guy who is most like you when both fighters are an unknown is racist.. it is more instinctual... My favorite overall 2 fighters are Russian and Croation.. Fedor and CroCop.. I just enjoy watching them fight.. I am a 30 year old white guy from the US... And when Rampage fought liddell.. Well I was rooting for Rampage.. I liked both fighters but I just like rampages style.. but when I am picking between 2 fighters when all else seems equal I have a tendency to pick the American first as a matter of National Pride.. If one is black and one is white.. And the records are virtually the same or very similiar I have a tendency to pick the white guy.. But if the other is black or mexican heritage and has a better record.. I'll more then likely pick him, I do not think it is racisim .. I just think it is a natural tendency all humans have.. you tend to favor the one who looks most like you or he seems the most like you...
rabbit915
6/18/08 7:17:40PM
I think the nationality of the fighter usually only comes into play with people of a nationality that doesnt commonly compete in MMA. For instance, there are only a handful of english fighters in the UFC so i wouldnt be suprised for english people to cheer for them. However, there is at least one american in 2/3rds of UFC fights it seems so i kind of ignore the fact that they are american.

I think in the U.S, it tends to get broken donw into smaller regions. I will almost always cheer for guys from Wisconsin, even though there are very few fighting at high levels.
teddythetuna
6/18/08 8:04:44PM
Im canadian and my favs are Miletich, GSP, and Gumby. The reason is they love their sport and always carry themselves with class and respect. Plus they are great athletes. I never have a problem when someone cheers for a fighter from his country but i HATE when people start bashing someones nationality by stereotyping just because of someone they know who knows a guy from that country and hes a douchebag. Nothing worse than a canadian badmouthing an american or an american bashing someone from the UK. Its childish and just shows how ignorant you are.
Ben_Hutch
6/18/08 8:48:50PM
Ok,

It's different for British fans. The majority of UFC fighters are American, therefore it'd be a bit silly supporting every fighter because they're from the U.S, however, us Brits only have a handfull of guys who are in the UFC, so naturally we are going to support them.

If i go to Cage Rage (a british MMA org) the majority of fighters are English, and, to be honest, I don't care if there's an English guy fighting, simply because there's so many of them.

However when i watch the UFC i feel completely different, I root for guys like Bisping and Taylor, they've made it out of Europe and burst onto the American scene.

I can completely understand why people from the U.S don't care as much about a fighters nationality, but I bet if you were British, you'd care about it a lot more.
The-Don
6/19/08 3:56:10PM

Posted by Ben_Hutch

Ok,

It's different for British fans. The majority of UFC fighters are American, therefore it'd be a bit silly supporting every fighter because they're from the U.S, however, us Brits only have a handfull of guys who are in the UFC, so naturally we are going to support them.

If i go to Cage Rage (a british MMA org) the majority of fighters are English, and, to be honest, I don't care if there's an English guy fighting, simply because there's so many of them.

However when i watch the UFC i feel completely different, I root for guys like Bisping and Taylor, they've made it out of Europe and burst onto the American scene.

I can completely understand why people from the U.S don't care as much about a fighters nationality, but I bet if you were British, you'd care about it a lot more.

Well someone already pointed out that fact that countries with smaller fighter bases have a tendency to root more for thier fighters... again its only natural... and understandable.. I am glad to see a group like cage rage doing ok in England... I just hope they can lure some better fighters to bring the competition level up and maybe create some new stars...
AchillesHeel
6/19/08 4:29:40PM

Posted by Ben_Hutch

The majority of UFC fighters are American

Is this even true?
jiujitsufreak74
6/19/08 4:35:20PM

Posted by AchillesHeel

Posted by Ben_Hutch

The majority of UFC fighters are American

Is this even true?

yes, Rush did a study on it a while back and the majority of the UFC fighters were American. i will see if i can find the chart he made

here it is:

Aaronno9
6/19/08 4:46:22PM
I have to say, during tuf i was rooting for Bisping becouse he was British, but its like Ben said, we dont have that many fighters breaking onto the international scene, so where more likely to follow them. I mean, Mikes from manchester, and in terms of any other sport, football especially, i hate manchester with a passion.

Now though, i root for him becouse i like his exciting fighting style and his no nonsense approach in the build up to fights. Other than British guys though its all about personality and what they bring to the cage. From my top 5, ive followed chuck and rich since i got into mma (about 3 years ago) so thats why their up there, Ive already explained Bisping, I live macs lifestyle and attitude, and i just think Diaz is awesome to watch almost every fight, and hes pretty funny outside of the cage.
Rush
6/19/08 5:06:14PM
For me it's the fighter, but it is nice to like a fighter from your own country.

LOL Good job digging that up JJfreak. It didn't cross my mind to post that when I saw this thread.
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
6/19/08 6:59:08PM
TS i agree. Every time i see an american hating on bisping or gsp for no valid reason other then they dont like the guy , it irritates me.
Aaronno9
6/19/08 7:39:33PM

Posted by AnDeRsonDaSiLvA

TS i agree. Every time i see an american hating on bisping or gsp for no valid reason other then they dont like the guy , it irritates me.

jiujitsufreak74
6/19/08 7:48:06PM

Posted by AnDeRsonDaSiLvA

F*ck Bisping, that guy is an a**hole. and so is that wine drinking bastard GSP. they think they are so cool with their retarded accents.

ncordless
6/19/08 11:31:39PM
I usually root for the fighter who carries himself in a way that I respect, regardless of nationality.

As a citizen of the US, I can safely say that I don't root for the white american vs. the foriegner any more than anyone else. To me, if a fighter is from Denver or Denmark it doesn't make a lick of difference.

More and more I find myself not rooting for either fighter, and instead just hoping for the best fight possible regardless of the outcome... that may sound weird, but try it. I find it more enjoyable to love the sport impartially... although I do have my favs that I want to see win.

However, that all goes out the window when the fighter is from my home state of Iowa. I root for the Iowan always and lose most of my fantasy stuff by picking the hawkeye.

Thinking about it now, maybe that's the same thing. The difference between rooting for the guy from Iowa vs. the guy from US is that since most of the fighters are from the US, it hardly seems like your rooting for something special.

89vision
6/20/08 1:02:25AM
I've gotten terribly mad at people on here and at live events and i'll just say if you have a problem with someones nationality or skin color your a nationalist racist, if you cheer for somebody (key word) because they are "where your from" you are a nationalist racist, theres a big difference between cheering for a team that might be near where you are and a fighter who fights by himself, you should like the fighters for who they are and how they fight not something as freakin petty as what part of earth they were born on, or boo fighters at the weigh ins (UFC 83) or in the introductions or in the actual fights because your hometown boy is getting beat.

Our sport still has a long way to go when people are seriously asking this question or actually making a thread as ridiculous as if it really matters more where someones from then there actual fighting style and personality, once again if you think this matters then you yourself are a nationalist racist and you should be ashamed of yourself, its one thing if you know some people from your fight camp or whatever but if you say something like "oh i hope this japanese guy gets beat" and your not japanese, thats called degeneration and its killing our species as a whole.
Rush
6/20/08 10:30:18AM

Posted by 89vision
if you say something like "oh i hope this japanese guy gets beat" and your not japanese, thats called degeneration and its killing our species as a whole.

Funny you should mention this. It reminds me of a recent pre fight interview with Karo saying something to the tone of "I can't lose to a Japanese fighter"

one more reason not to like Karo.
Ben_Hutch
6/20/08 10:56:34AM
How about Hopkins' "I'll never let a white boy beat me"
jiujitsufreak74
6/20/08 2:26:03PM

Posted by Rush

Posted by 89vision
if you say something like "oh i hope this japanese guy gets beat" and your not japanese, thats called degeneration and its killing our species as a whole.

Funny you should mention this. It reminds me of a recent pre fight interview with Karo saying something to the tone of "I can't lose to a Japanese fighter"

one more reason not to like Karo.

the other one being he is Armenian