UFC Can't Host Event In Melbourne Due To Octagon

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » UFC Can't Host Event In Melbourne Due To Octagon
FastKnockout
1/19/12 12:43:41PM
The UFC's plans to take the show back to Australia for an event in Melbourne look like they've come to an end. It appears that in the state of Victoria, it's illegal to hold MMA events in a cage rather than a ring.

Via the Sydney Morning Herald:

And while the UFC would like nothing better than to book a date for a Melbourne event, it is unable to while the government refuses to allow MMA bouts to be held in cages.

In the UFC, bouts are held inside the "Octagon" - an eight-side cage. In Victoria, MMA bouts can be sanctioned if held in a boxing ring, but are not allowed to take place in a cage.

Speaking in Melbourne yesterday during a promotional tour for the Sydney event, the UFC's Managing Director of International Development Marshall Zelaznik questioned whether the Victorian Government was more concerned about negative perceptions surrounding "cage fighting" than it was about the safety of the fighters themselves.

"The government has authorised that mixed martial arts can take place [in a ring] - the issue seems to be the Octagon," Mr Zelaznik said.

"The ropes [of a boxing ring] don't protect the fighters enough ... what you always have happen is a fighter will slip through the ropes - hopefully they don't fall - but we have video that we've submitted to the government about how unsafe it is when fighters are actually falling through these ropes and are hurting themselves.

LINK
Sir_Karl
1/19/12 1:56:52PM
Thunderdome!!!! 2 men enter....1 man leaves.
Twenty20Dollars
1/19/12 2:42:21PM
Why is it illegal?

Give me the reason why a cage is illegal.

Pretty stupid.
scoozna
1/19/12 3:11:02PM

Posted by Sir_Karl

Thunderdome!!!! 2 men enter....1 man leaves.

lol...yeah, put a lid on the cage and it's a dome!

I actually never liked the term "cage" - I always felt that if there was no top, it wasn't really a cage. It's a ring, just with fencing rather than ropes.

Even "ring" doesn't make a lot of sense if the area is a rectangle (an octagon looks more like a ring than a rectangle).
MaxOne
1/19/12 3:32:23PM
UFC could find ways to make this work if they really wanted to hold events in places that don't allow the "cage."

They could simply hold some events in a ring or they could invent an octagon (so they can still say "octagon") with ropes like a boxing ring. It's ok if the UFC adapts a bit....it'd give them something else to factor into the dialogue.

"These fighters have fought twice before but never inside the ring. Even though fighter A walked away with the win the last two times they met Fighter B has a lot more experience in the ring from his days with Pride. I wonder how much that will factor in here tonight Joe"

"Fighter A holds a win over Fighter B inside of the cage but has lost twice to Fighter B in the ring Joe"

"holding the ropes is illegal much like holding the cage inside of the octagon Joe"

I'm not gonna lie...it's a lot easier to see what's going on in a boxing ring.
jay98107
1/19/12 3:59:41PM
Fact is, the cage is much safer than a ring. Cage just has a negative connotation to it, so dumb people make it illegal. Watch Frank Shamrock vs. Yuki Kondo if you think a ring is somehow safer. Just a matter of perception
tcunningham
1/19/12 5:17:49PM
if they call it an eight sided ring it wouldnt sound so bad, but the world cage looks bad to all the idiots.
Twenty20Dollars
1/19/12 6:26:54PM
if it was an electric cage, I could see that being illegal. If a guy grabs the cage, he gets shocked.
tmas
1/19/12 11:13:40PM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

Why is it illegal?

Give me the reason why a cage is illegal.

Pretty stupid.

one reason why a cage is illegal........BECAUSE THEY SAID SO!.....

i think you mean to say something like.

give me one reason why a cage should be illegal?
Lesnar1
1/20/12 12:03:31AM
There really isn't any valid/good reason as to why cages are not allowed in melbourne mma, I think a cage is much safer than a ring, plus it makes the actual fighting flow alot better, I remember in Pride fights or even now in Dream that whenever fighters get close to or underneath the ropes whilst grappling on the ground the ref would have to step in and move the fighters back to the middle of the ring. This could happen up to 3 or 4 times a round in some fights and it really kills momenum for the dominant fighter.
postman
1/20/12 8:04:24AM

Posted by MaxOne

UFC could find ways to make this work if they really wanted to hold events in places that don't allow the "cage."

They could simply hold some events in a ring or they could invent an octagon (so they can still say "octagon") with ropes like a boxing ring. It's ok if the UFC adapts a bit....it'd give them something else to factor into the dialogue.

"These fighters have fought twice before but never inside the ring. Even though fighter A walked away with the win the last two times they met Fighter B has a lot more experience in the ring from his days with Pride. I wonder how much that will factor in here tonight Joe"

"Fighter A holds a win over Fighter B inside of the cage but has lost twice to Fighter B in the ring Joe"

"holding the ropes is illegal much like holding the cage inside of the octagon Joe"

I thought we were past the Ring or Cage debate its clear MMA should be fought in a cage. As for the UFC changing simply to hold an event in Melbourne is crazy. Why? If Melbourne wants to stop a flood of peole to their city or the Octagon well then thats on them there are plenty of cities across the globe that would love to house the Octagon for the week.
gartface
1/20/12 9:03:22AM
You would think that they saw how successful the 127 card was. Oh well, close-minded and backward thinking societies like Melbourne and New York deserve to get left in the dust. Everyone else is reaping the benefits of this sport, and they are burying their heads in the proverbial sand, like an ostrich.
VILLIN
1/20/12 11:58:20AM

Posted by MaxOne

No way should the UFC budge on this issue. The cage is far safer than a ring and that is far more important than visibility. The ring works for boxing because it is a single aspect fighting art. MMA incorporates wrestling so when a guy shoots and drives his opponent into the cage they stay in the fighting space, if it was a ring they'd end up on the floor. The ring also sucks for jiu jitsu; there is nothing worse than seeing a good technical grappling match get restarted in the center because the guys got caught up in the stupid ropes, it completely ruins the flow of the match and never perfectly recaptures the previous position correctly.