BJ's Head Games

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » BJ's Head Games
« Previous Page
jack
8/11/08 8:37:32AM

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by jack

Since when does BJ have superior striking skills to GSP? Just wondering if I missed some past fights where BJ showed he was a better striker than GSP?

Since BJ tooled GSP on the feet in their fight.

Are you talking about when BJ did his infamous eyepokethumb rub on GSP's eye or when he clipped the end of GSP's nose? That's not tooling anyone. Sorry, but it's not. I do give the ground game advantage to BJ....for the first two rounds....until he takes a high head kick and gets KO'd in the third.
MaxOne
8/11/08 7:47:37PM
bj's stand up (boxing) is superior in my opinion and his Chin is nuts. I think Bj has more ways to win this fight. The only way i see GSP taking this is if Penn's cardio isn't top notch and he hasn't finished GSP early....if Penn's cardio is up to par and it goes the distance i still see Penn taking it 3 rounds to 2.

I don't see GSP submitting BJ and I don't see him knocking him out.

I believe Penn can submit or knock gsp out.
mmadb
8/12/08 11:54:02AM

Posted by MaxOne

Posted by MaxOne

If bj comes in shape he will make it look like gsp isn't as good as he is. if he comes in out of shape then he'll only win.

i'm kidding, sort of.

I'm pulling for BJ. I think bj is more skilled in every area other than dedication and cardio. I think GSP works harder. 2 of the best ever. should be a glorious fight. I still wish they'd both have several title defenses in their weight classes before they go at it again but you know i'ma beat right in front of the tv for this now matter when it is.

I think you missed wrestling and...wrestling and...wrestling and........class
RedCloud
8/12/08 2:59:51PM
It will be an amazing fight. Impossible to actually know who will win.

GSP is the best there is. Second only to BJ Penn.

My prediction:
BJ Penn will win. Round One. Nipple Pinch - death touch (dim mak nip).

VictimSix
8/12/08 4:29:36PM

Posted by Gipper

not to sure why bj gets to come up a weight class and fight for a title before silva or even gsp. anderson and georges have done more in the sport in the last 2 or 3 years then bj. if you ask me, if there is one fighter that runs dana'a show it's bj penn. i'm not taking anything away from penn he's a freak of nature and will have a 50/50 chance at beating gsp i'm just saying anderson and georges have completely wiped out their divisions.

Same reason why Randy got a hw title shot after droping 2 straight fights: they are big names in the sport. Right or wrong thats how it works. When your one of the baddest guys on the planet you get perks that other people just don't get. Also Silva has sad time and time again that mw is his home not lhw.
GrizzlyChadams
8/12/08 5:59:52PM
BJ's cardio may be better now but it's still nothing compared to GSP's. The guy is a machine. I think GSP will wear down BJ and either get the UD or a tko.
Kastro
8/13/08 2:46:34PM

Posted by NewGuy

BJ looked like he was already in the head of GSP. At the end of the night when he was in the ring asking for the fight with Rush, GSP sounded like he was pressured and uncomfortable with the confrontation with BJ.

I’m sure the UFC set up the confrontation between GSP and BJ for ratings and drama, but BJ took full advantage of it and looks like he has already started playing his head games.

GSP is too smart to let BJ Penn get inside his head... GSP had just finished a 5 round war with Jon Fitch so of course he didn't look himself.. GSP is the best in the game and BJ Penn better have better cardio next time they fight or he is going to get pumbled in the later rounds..

GSP by KO in the 3rd.. remember where you heard it first folks!
MikeyG
8/13/08 3:22:23PM
I think BJ's getting into the fans heads more so than GSP's, but seriously I just dont think GSP wants to fight BJ because he knows theres only a few people that are a serious threat to his reign and the biggest threat is BJ, people shouldnt even try to deny that.
Kastro
8/14/08 9:30:05AM

Posted by MikeyG

I think BJ's getting into the fans heads more so than GSP's, but seriously I just dont think GSP wants to fight BJ because he knows theres only a few people that are a serious threat to his reign and the biggest threat is BJ, people shouldnt even try to deny that.

Please, GSP is the best in the world... he isn't afraid of anybody and if anything he WANTS TO fight people like BJ to prove that he is in fact the BEST in the world..

GSP by 3rd round KO..
MikeyG
8/14/08 10:31:45AM

Posted by Kastro

Posted by MikeyG

Please, GSP is the best in the world... he isn't afraid of anybody and if anything he WANTS TO fight people like BJ to prove that he is in fact the BEST in the world..

GSP by 3rd round KO..

What can I expect from a canadian, its illigal to be a GSP hater there

BJ 2nd rd. KO
GSPCanada
8/15/08 1:13:49AM
i think the awkardness is because of st.pierre's english the only thing i really dont like about st. pierre is hat every interview is pretty much the same and he repeats the same thing word for word i think he tends to script things becase of his english and bj just caught him off guard really how fast did bj get into the octagon i didn't even notice it was bj it happened so fast

I also realized that maybe bj does get some favors from dana i mean the guy has fought at 170 in the ufc 3 times and both of those were for titles and now 3 welterweight title shots in 4 welterweight bouts...kinda ridiculous atleast couture climbed his way up the hw ladder left then came back

as far as the fight goes bj is the biggest threat to st. pierre and i think bj is just trying to avenge his losses st.pierre and machida are the only guys bj has fought and not beaten. its a close matchup though and if you think bj is going to dominate...you know nothing about mma, and if you think st. pierre is going to dominate...you know nothing about mma. these guys are top fighters and should be a close matchup this is what you should consider:
it should be tough to pick against bj the guy has never been submitted and technically been finsished once it hasnt been prroven that theres a shot he cant take
but bj has fought limited strikers (ludwig and jens) which he took down immediately, yes bj did win the standup exchanges wit st.pierre but he didn't dominate, people look at st. pierre's face at the end of the first round and starttalking about 10-8 rounds go back and watch the fight w/o looking at st.pierre's brusises and cuts
bj has a better jaw and quicker hands st. pierre has the quicker better movement and more diversified strikes.
st. pierre has the better top game and is the stronger fighter while penn has the incredible takedown defense and ability to escape the bottom ad superior jiu jitsu

I think this fight goes to decision mainly because i feel that that is the only way gsp will win (or for that matter the only way bj will ever lose) but one thing people should notice is that judges do pay attention to the damage on a perosn's face at the end of the fight after bj took that flurry of shots against hughes the second time his face wasnt even scratched and st. pierre's face was pretty badly bruised after he dominated fitch 50-43 obviously st. pierre's face bruises and cuts easier than st. pierre's so pay attention to that if the fight gos to decision
MaxOne
8/18/08 7:41:25PM

Posted by mmadb

Posted by MaxOne

Posted by MaxOne

If bj comes in shape he will make it look like gsp isn't as good as he is. if he comes in out of shape then he'll only win.

i'm kidding, sort of.

I'm pulling for BJ. I think bj is more skilled in every area other than dedication and cardio. I think GSP works harder. 2 of the best ever. should be a glorious fight. I still wish they'd both have several title defenses in their weight classes before they go at it again but you know i'ma beat right in front of the tv for this now matter when it is.

I think you missed wrestling and...wrestling and...wrestling and........class

bj's ground game is too strong for wrestling to be a big factor unless bj is gassing...

Prior to the koscheck fight i would have said penn is a better wrestler but at this point i think they would need to actually wrestle to figure out who is better. Since this is MMA not wresting....i personally am more interested who is better standing and who is better on the ground. To simplify it the standing martial arts are combined and the grappling is combined....I believe BJ is more skilled in both areas in general.
ziegler3334
8/18/08 8:07:45PM
This is clearly a close match-up, hence it's been talked about forever, and its not even official, and is 4 months away. That shows how big of a fight it is. I would love to see them fight, but i'm afraid of what it could do to the UFC. If someone if going to hold two belts, they have to have some type of agreement to defend both belts twice a year. Part of a champion's responsibilities are to defend the belt. If BJ is planning on doing that, then it could be good thing for ufc and mma in general. My other problem with this is that i think BJ should be focusing on a pretty heavy lightweight devision. All of my worries would be eased if this were a non-title fight. It would still be exciting enough to sell a ton of ppvs, especially on the dec card. I doubt that will happen tho. So this will probly be a title fight, 5 rounds. It is almost impossible to pick, but i'll say gsp by UD. BJ has been unbelievable lately, but i have to make my decision based on 170, right now its gsp's class.
Pages: 1 [2]