who's your guitar hero?

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » who's your guitar hero?
« Previous Page | Next Page »
Wolfenstein
3/5/09 12:17:57AM

Posted by hotrodttt

Posted by hippysmacker

I don't play, but one of my best friends in high school did, and he swore this guy( guess who) was the worlds greatest guitarist back in the day.

His name is something like Yngwie malsteen or something like that

Nice work, never heard of him. Sounds swedish, what was the band?
hippysmacker
3/5/09 12:30:49AM

Posted by Jackelope

That's one of the names I mentioned earlier. Most hardcore guitarists consider him the greatest guitar player ever. Even though hardly anybody knows who he is

U da man bro!. props, and no love spreading this time.
Jackelope
3/5/09 8:25:42AM

Posted by Wolfenstein

Posted by hotrodttt

Posted by hippysmacker

I don't play, but one of my best friends in high school did, and he swore this guy( guess who) was the worlds greatest guitarist back in the day.

I'm surprised as a guitarist that you've never heard of him. He's been with a few acts, but mostly he's done solo and instrumental stuff. Just like Gary Hoey (another pic I posted earlier) From what I understand he is so revered in the guitar community for not only his solo work, but he's also supposedly taught a lot of great guitarists certain techniques. You can find his work online, though I'm sure.

Oh yeah, and it is Swedish
cowcatcher
3/5/09 8:56:04AM
if any of you play rock band you can download a couple of yngwie malmsteen songs, i tried to play caprici el diablo on expert and had just enough time to blink twice before i failed, the guy is ridiculous.
The_Italian_Stallion
3/5/09 10:57:49AM
I'm going to change it up with some of the riff madmen of recent times...

Mick Mars
Slash
The Hawkins Brothers (The Darkness)

Maybe not the best technical guitar but some of the most amazing riffs in songs today!
Hendo67
3/5/09 2:26:42PM
John Petrucci (Dream Theater)

dannyfrank
3/5/09 2:57:19PM
damn, you guys have been putting some great stuff on here

johnny ramone

billy corgan

Adam Dutkiewicz
Wolfenstein
3/5/09 3:22:37PM

Posted by Jackelope

Posted by Wolfenstein

Posted by hotrodttt

Posted by hippysmacker

I'm surprised as a guitarist that you've never heard of him. He's been with a few acts, but mostly he's done solo and instrumental stuff. Just like Gary Hoey (another pic I posted earlier) From what I understand he is so revered in the guitar community for not only his solo work, but he's also supposedly taught a lot of great guitarists certain techniques. You can find his work online, though I'm sure.

Oh yeah, and it is Swedish

Yeah I think I've seen him on a few covers of guitar magazines, and the more I think of it his name sounds kind of familiar, but hey all swedish bands seem to have ridiculously good guitarists, I guess because the metal scene is pretty big over there.

When I think of all time guitarists, I tend to think of the big three...Joe Satriani, John Pertucci, and Steve Vai. One of the most underrated guitarists in my opinion is Marty Friedman of Megadeth. Some of the solo's he wrote are just impossible for most anyone to play.

Nowadays it's tough to come across a good guitarist because no one is really doing anything new. They're all using simple hooks that have been done over and over before.

Anyways, my guitar hero's....BB King, Jeff Beck, Roger Waters, and Duane Allman.
Bowen50
3/5/09 3:53:18PM
Mike McCready

Thomas Erak

John Frusciante

Pete Townshend
emfleek
3/5/09 3:55:45PM
CC MOTHA F*CKIN DEVILLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

zephead
3/5/09 5:17:34PM
James Patrick Page.

I'll lock the thread now. There isn't a style of music he can't play. In the music world genius isn't thrown around alot, but with Jimmy, a genius hands down. He was Zeppelin and still is. Robert said it best, "Zeppelin was all about the riffs."
zephead
3/5/09 5:19:14PM

Posted by Wolfenstein

Posted by hotrodttt

Posted by hippysmacker

Yngwie could shred with the best of them.. But with all guys that shredded, it got stale after a while.
pv3Hpv3p
3/5/09 5:26:39PM
nevermind...
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 5
bojangalz
3/5/09 8:39:01PM

Posted by EvenFlow

Johnny Hendrix (aka Jimi Hendrix)

If I'm not mistaken wasn't he born James Marshall Hendrix?

*EDIT* I guess not, according to wikipedia at least. News to me.
Jackelope
3/5/09 10:42:06PM
Just thought of another name today that nobody ever mentions and I'm not really sure why. This guy was an animal. Some of the solos he did blew me away. And actually, some of his best work is on Bruce Dickinson's solo albums.

Adrian Smith from Iron Maiden

Also- just one quick bone to pick. I hate seeing Kurt Cobain's name on any "greatest guitarist" list. I mean, honestly... besides catchy tunes name me one Kurt Cobain solo that just blows you away. Not to call out anyone specifically, because people commonly name Kurt Cobain, but... I dunno, it's just not something I can get behind
bojangalz
3/5/09 11:51:10PM

Posted by Jackelope

Also- just one quick bone to pick. I hate seeing Kurt Cobain's name on any "greatest guitarist" list. I mean, honestly... besides catchy tunes name me one Kurt Cobain solo that just blows you away. Not to call out anyone specifically, because people commonly name Kurt Cobain, but... I dunno, it's just not something I can get behind

Amen.
Aether
3/6/09 1:21:45AM

Posted by bojangalz

Posted by Jackelope

Amen.

One of the main ideas behind grunge was the fact that they didn't use complex lead guitars. Cobain criticized Pearl Jam for not being true grunge because their lead guitar was too prominent, this alone should be a pretty strong indication of where Cobain's guitar playing ability was at lol. Personally I think Nirvana is one of the most overrated bands in the history of music.

As far as guitar players most of the big names have been mentioned, Malmsteen is/was the world's FASTEST guitar player but the best? I think not. All the dude does is bastardize bach and paganini turning it into emotionless garbage. For me the best guitar players in terms of technical ability, diversity of music and the ability to infuse their playing with emotion would be

Stevie Ray Vaughan
Joe Satriani
Buckethead (I can't believe he hasn't been mentioned)

Check out the range of buckethead's music, he does everything from easy listening to thrash metal and everything in between. His discography is so enormous and he's so highly experimental that you have to sift through a lot of noise to get the good stuff, but it's definitely worth it. Here's a few various songs in different styles:

Big Sur Moon - Not really sure what style you would classify this as but it's a ******* amazing song and some of the best use of the echo effect on a guitar that I've ever heard.

Wishing Well - Easy listening with acoustic rhythm and clean electric lead. One of my favourite songs of all time for sure.

Soothsayer - Live - One of his most popular "shredding" songs performed live. Starts slow and builds tempo.

Untitled - This is sort of like Funk rock. Very groovy.

Jump Man - Sort of like dance/electronic music interspliced with guitar solos.

Jordan - The song from Guitar Hero that has helped increase his popularity lately.
Hendo67
3/6/09 1:54:36PM
I played Rockband with Adam D after he played a show in Edmonton, lol.
bls1919
3/6/09 7:47:22PM

Posted by hippysmacker

Malmstein is awesome. Jon Petrucci, and Joe Satriani anre among the best in the world. For more mainstream guys i'l go with my top five.

1 Zakk Wylde....Leader of Black L:abel Society.....ie BLS
2 Dime Bag Darrell
3 Kim Thail from soundgarden.........a very over looked guy in music history
4 Tom Morello RATM, Audioslave
5 Dave Mustaine of Megadeth
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
dannyfrank
3/6/09 9:24:49PM

Posted by Jackelope

i understand what you're saying, but also, this isnt a "greatest guitarist" thread. i just asked who you like to listen to play. and i like listening to kurt cobain

EDIT: also, good call on adrian smith. completely forgot about him
Jackelope
3/6/09 10:19:03PM

Posted by dannyfrank

Posted by Jackelope

i understand what you're saying, but also, this isnt a "greatest guitarist" thread. i just asked who you like to listen to play. and i like listening to kurt cobain

True enough, and good call on the title of the thread. I guess it kind of spiraled a little bit into a greatest guitarist type thread, so I'll take back my comments now and just say that if you like Kurt Cobain, awesome!

(BTW, my main reasoning for saying these things is that a couple years ago I read a top 100 greatest guitarist list and Cobain was in the top 20 along with Jack White<----?!?!?!?!?! I'm still pissed about that list, and it's been a while LOL)
dannyfrank
3/6/09 10:30:31PM

Posted by Jackelope

Posted by dannyfrank

Posted by Jackelope

True enough, and good call on the title of the thread. I guess it kind of spiraled a little bit into a greatest guitarist type thread, so I'll take back my comments now and just say that if you like Kurt Cobain, awesome!

(BTW, my main reasoning for saying these things is that a couple years ago I read a top 100 greatest guitarist list and Cobain was in the top 20 along with Jack White<----?!?!?!?!?! I'm still pissed about that list, and it's been a while LOL)

oh god thats horrible! i see why you're upset

Bowen50
3/7/09 1:31:53AM
Surprised these guys haven't been posted yet

Tony Iommi

Randy Rhoads

Angus Young

Claudio Sanchez
Rollins
3/7/09 2:10:42AM
Thank you Bowen50, you can't say Randy Rhoads enough in this thread, and damn I can't say enough how much I wish he was still alive. Imagine the possibilities....

Jackelope
3/7/09 2:14:22AM
Yeah, I was waiting for Randy Rhoads' name in the mix.

Angus Young is another guy I hate seeing on greatest guitarist lists (even though we've established at this point that this isn't a "greatest guitarist" thread, LOL) One thing I'll say about him, though is that he sticks to a style and does it well
Bowen50
3/7/09 11:44:39AM

Posted by Jackelope

Yeah, I was waiting for Randy Rhoads' name in the mix.

Angus Young is another guy I hate seeing on greatest guitarist lists (even though we've established at this point that this isn't a "greatest guitarist" thread, LOL) One thing I'll say about him, though is that he sticks to a style and does it well

yeah i don't think Angus is one of the best ever but his displays of showmanship and energy on stage make him one of my favorites.
DJDark41
3/9/09 6:31:05PM

While considered by many to be "overrated and unoriginal," Zakk Wylde is one of my favorite guitarists of all time, as well as one of my biggest inspirations. His ability to bring the metal with songs like "Suicide Messiah" and "Concrete Jungle," or reduce the toughest of men to tears with songs like "In This River." He writes songs that are true to the heart, no BS, no cover-ups, and that is a very good quality for a song writer. I remember hearing a Black Label Society song about 2 years ago and thinking to myself, "This is one of the best guitar players I have ever heard."

Paulie G. That is all that needs to be said. One of the most, if not THE most, fantastic shredder/all around guitar player. Listen to a song like "Scarified" or "I Understand Completely," and enjoy the pure shredding goodness. What, you think he's just a no talent shredder? Go listen to "The Curse of Castle Dragon" or "Hurry Up," and enjoy the musical wonder. Can't get enough Paul Gilbert, one of the few artists I don't skip over listening to on my MP3 player.

My fellow Long Islander John Petrucci. Proof that no matter where you're from, you can do it if you put your mind to it. One of the best shredders around, as demonstrated in songs such as "In the Presence of Enemies Pt. 1," while still sustaining one of the best musical touches in the rock business, with songs like "Glasgow Kiss." Never get tired of listening to him, and he is the only person I know of who can write a guitar part for 17 minutes and have it not get boring.

Last, but certainly not the least among my list, my personal favorite guitar player of all time, and my biggest musical inspiration. Hearing him play guitar for the first time when I was 14 was pretty much a turning point in my life. I had never really listened to or preferred a specific music, but after listening to "Cowboys From Hell," I had to find out what metal was all about. I eventually convinced my parents to buy me a guitar, started listening to all different sorts of metal, started playing guitar consistently, grew my hair out, the whole nine yards, all inspired by that infamous metal riff known by metal fans around the world. Now, I can't go a whole day without listening to Pantera, playing a Pantera song on my guitar, quoting a Pantera song, whatever it may be. Dimebag is the primary musical inspiration in my life, and I can only hope to impact someone else life the way he did to mine. Forever missed, RIP Dimebag.
Aether
3/9/09 7:01:21PM
buckethead is a superior version of Paul Gilbert IMO. But those are all great guitar players as well.
D0wnUnd6e6r
3/10/09 12:46:57PM
Thaaaaaaank you djdark for finally throwing Gilbert in there, was getting very worried here. As for mine well, I still can't believe they werent mentionned

Steve Vai

Joe Satriani

And i'd have to disagree with Aether there, IMO the bucket has absolutely 100% nothing on Paul Gilbert. Miles and Miles away form him IMO
Aether
3/10/09 1:36:08PM
they were both mentioned. Satriani has been mentioned like 4 or 5 times actually lol.
Pages: 1 [2] 3