It's a Good Time to Be a Free Agent in Mixed Martial Arts

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » It's a Good Time to Be a Free Agent in Mixed Martial Arts
MMAcca
7/24/08 2:21:29PM

The Vancouver Sun has a piece up discussing Georges St. Pierre's contract negotiations:

"Before it expires, they'll want to negotiate because they won't want me to be a free agent, let the Japanese get their hands on me," St-Pierre said....

Standing in the way of a more lucrative deal, obviously, is Fitch. St-Pierre will be fighting in the U.S., without the home-field advantage that buoyed him against Serra last April.

That could change soon enough; St-Pierre is hearing rumours the UFC will return to Montreal, perhaps next year, and might even try to fill up Olympic Stadium."

It's a good time to be a free agent, and I think St. Pierre will end up getting a very good deal. With the Affliction salaries floating around, the UFC won't risk losing one of their top stars. St. Pierre is already paid well, but most of it is in discretionary bonuses, and it's in his best interest to guarantee himself that money in the future. If he has good management, he is in a strong position to demand money that would make him the top paid fighter in the UFC. He is one guy they definitely won't let go, and his contract will be another example of how fighters benefit from competition.

LINK
Mchubb316
7/24/08 8:35:15PM
The only thing is they paid so much to the fighters on the first card, I don't think Affliction can afford to sign too many more fighters to huge contracts. GSP can demand all the money he wants, and I think the UFC will make right with him, but there is no way Affliction can sign guys at 750 and 800k a pop, and expect to stick around for long.
nastshabast
7/25/08 2:19:09AM
I think signing short 1-2 fight contracts is the best way to go. Especially if you have as much talent as a GSP Fedor Silva. These benefit both the fighter and the sport.
MMAcca
7/25/08 2:34:55AM

Posted by nastshabast

I think signing short 1-2 fight contracts is the best way to go. Especially if you have as much talent as a GSP Fedor Silva. These benefit both the fighter and the sport.

But not the Orgs.

And at the end of the day if there's no MMA Organisations, there will be no MMA fights.
soundboy1
7/28/08 3:41:55PM
UFC is expecting to be a billion dollar company by the end of the decade. They can afford to pay living wages. To put that in perspective Konica/minolta just became a 100 million dollar company last year.
JimiMak
7/28/08 4:26:17PM

Posted by soundboy1

UFC is expecting to be a billion dollar company by the end of the decade. They can afford to pay living wages. To put that in perspective Konica/minolta just became a 100 million dollar company last year.

cuz gawd knows UFC doesn't pay a livable wage.
whardin19
7/28/08 4:29:29PM
I'm tired of hearing about MMA wages.